It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
(female)

siturtl HB User
Question HPV for years, now my third colposcopy in a row

I developed warts when I was 22 but I don't know how long before then that I actually got HPV. I'm 28 now and about to have my third colposcopy in a row. I live a lifestyle of healthy eating and fitness, healthy weight, no smoking, 1 sexual partner for the last 3 years. All my paps come back abnormal with LSIL (low grade). And because I have a history of HPV I always have to do the biopsy. Last year I felt like the doctor took more biopsy samples from more areas than the previous year. Of course, I'm concerned that my lesions are slowly growing and my body isn't fighting it off, and that when the doctor checks me out tomorrow with the vinegar solution, he'll see even MORE spots to biopsy than last year (more pain/discomfort, more emotional scarring).

So I guess I'm wondering how many white spots does he have to see before deciding to say "let's take a more drastic step" instead of "i'm going to start cutting away"? Because if I have to keep doing a biopsy every year, I'd rather do a LEEP and try to clear the slate. At least that I'm not awake for! And has anyone else had HPV this long and just keep having to get colposcopies that result in LSIL/CIN-1? It's the same every year. It's not clearing on its own, but its not progressing to necessitate a LEEP.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
(female)

melissamc123 HB User
Re: HPV for years, now my third colposcopy in a row

Well, I can't offer too much advice here, other than to say that I have HPV too. It was found when I was pregnant in 2003. I've had 3 colposcopys since then too. One at the end of the pregnancy, one at my next 6 mo. checkup and I'm pretty sure the next was a year after that. The other two didn't seem as easy as the first to me either. In most cases though HPV will eventually clear on its own. I think the absolutely most important thing to do though is to keep doing what you're doing. It's an uncomfortable procedure, I know, but you're doing the right thing. What does your obgyn say? HPV is such a common thing now, maybe they're not concerned because they see much worse in a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
colposcopy, hpv+, leep, lsil