HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-cervical-ovarian/)
-   -   Total Abdominal Hysterectomy & Endometrial Carcinoma (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-cervical-ovarian/922775-total-abdominal-hysterectomy-endometrial-carcinoma.html)

lelou 10-12-2012 03:33 PM

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy & Endometrial Carcinoma

Hi Guys

I had to have a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy in Jan 2011, aged 45yrs, due to abnormal cells after a cervical smear test done, had a biopsy done & MRI Scan, which reveled something suspicious on the Lining of my womb, i was in complete shock & didn't want a hysterectomy, i tried for children for many years, had one miscarriage & tired IVF Treatment which was unsuccessful, me & my husband were thinking about trying IVF again untill i was told i had to have a hysterectomy, they told me it was for the best & i didn't really have a choice in the matter, i was beside myself, so went ahead had the TAH, after the pathology results came back they said i had Stage 1, Grade 1, Endometrial Carcinoma on the lining of my womb, i was very lucky it was found so early,

But what i am sad about is that i didn't think about having any eggs from my ovaries Saved, only because it was all such a rush,
but it was down to my health & could have been my life if i hadn't had it done,

they also told me I'd have to go onto HRT, (hormone replacement therapy)
after my hysterectomy because my ovaries were taken away, as i,d probably be premenopausal because of the age of my my hysterectomy, but i haven't had any symptoms of the menopause since the TAH, that was 18mths ago,
I'm quite shocked i haven't gone thu it yet, has anyone else been thu the same as me?

I worry now that my cancer will come back on another organ, they did say it had all been taken away & i didn't need any other kind of treatment or follow up appointments, i did ask them how would i no if it came back,

There Answer.. if i ever get any swelling or pain in my abdomen again?

Really comforting to no, as women would no we all get swelling to our tummies & pain now & then, so now its left me paranoid!

would love to hear abt anyone else's stories of the same or similar nature,

I'm a newbie to this site, so hope I've posted it right!

luvbug412 10-13-2012 11:22 AM

Re: Total Abdominal Hysterectomy & Endometrial Carcinoma

The GOOD news is Staged a 1a1 it was ISOLATED to the location. That is actually GREAT news that it was caught so early :)

You won't have to worry about the cancer coming back (at least not in that location) because there is nothing for cancer to come back to!

If you search online for FIGO staging, you will see why it wasn't recommended to do any type of additional treatments. 1a1 is at the lowest end of staging. It is cancer (meaning it has invaded cells) but it hasn't invaded them to the point that the disease is outside of its current location.

Swelling and pain in abdomen can be SO many different things. I had swelling and pain and ended up being diagnosed with IBS (irratible (sp?) bowel syndrome) followed by a bum gall bladder. The gb would end up being very painful at times, so I have had that removed. While I still have lower stomach bloating and pain, I know right now its because of what I eat (can't do lactose or high fat foods).

Just my experience!

lelou 10-14-2012 12:54 AM

Re: Total Abdominal Hysterectomy & Endometrial Carcinoma

Hi there,
Great user name, LUVBUG,

Thanks so much for the reply,

I no how lucky i was really for the E,Carcinoma to be caught so early on,
But had a few of probs since the TAH, back in the late 1980,s had my fallopin tubes unblocked & a large cyst on my overy, back then they preformed different Opparations to what they do today, they cut me across my abdomen area & for years i had probs with bowl motions & uniary probs, was in & out with of hosptial with Ovarian cysts on my right ovary, had them drained so many times & they even cut it away at one point, but they kept coming back, they did consider taking the ovary away years ago but it never happend,

had my cervical smear tests religously, so was so suprised when i had to have the TAH & early E,carcinma, found, but the Consultant did say that its most likely i'd have probs with my bowls & uniery becasue of the previous Opp's, and may need treatment or opp in the future, they actaully cut across the same Incision i had back in the late 80,s to preform the TAH, they were going to cut an Incision from my belly button to my abdomen, so was so happy they cut over the same Incision i already had, but due to any pervious abdomen Opp,s its most likely the case most people end up with scar tissue probs, which i had & think thats what had caused probs with my bowls & uniray, like you i was diagonesd with IBS years ago aswel, same lower abdomin pains when need to have a motion, can be so painful somtimes can't they, since the TAH i basically live on laxitves, Lactose, horrid stuff, but works quickly, but started eating weetabix for my breaky now & seems to help loads, think its the same thing as lactose anyway,

Had a Ultrascan a month ago & everything seemd ok, no gallstones, or kidney problems, but they found i had a fatty liver, & 3 liver spots & have to have antoher U,scan in 6mnths to see if they have gone or spread, i suppose they are checking because of my previous history, last year was diagoned with type 2 diabeites, which really pee,d me off big time:-( think this may of been caurse of fatty liver prob, so am joining a weight watchers programme to hopfully help me lose some weight, I'm not Obese, but will be if i don't do somthk abt it now!

Its nice to hear of other people like yourself who have gone thu a simlar experience to me,

So thank you :-)

Hugs Lelou x