It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
(female)

Jul2 HB User
Question Colposcopy Pain & Best Drug Before

Hi. Please don't read this thread if you are afraid of the answers.

I've read some of the old threads on here about colposcopy pain and the fear of it. Many of those women never posted back again under the same username.

I would like to know if any of you know what the best drug to take beforehand is, to prevent the pain -- a drug that won't encourage bleeding.

I too am terrified, mainly because medical people tend to highly UNDER exaggerate pain so the patient won't run away.

I've already had a couple of uterine biopsies that I can only say felt like "a knife twisting around in my naval." Sure not looking forward to having pieces snipped off and huge chunks of skin coming out later as if the entire cervix is screaming about the violent abuse to it and that I should've left it alone.

I want to know it all -- the pain experienced, the "type" of procedure people had done (cone biopsy, leep, etc.) and what it was honestly like. Some women can't stand to hear the whole thing but many have to be prepared for the worst beforehand or they simply can't deal with the shocking unexpected surprise of the torture that leaves them suffering from PST forever! Thanks.

PS. Poor experimental animals. The pain and terror "they" endure in various experiments must be literally unbearable, especially when they get socked or punched for expressing their terror. anxiety and pain and have no idea what their tormenters (often cruel and psychotic) are going to do to each time they are pulled from their cages. As bad as it can be, I will be glad at least that I'm not in their place -- yet!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Colposcopy Pain & Best Drug Before

I had a colposcopy a few years back and all I felt was two areas of pinching and then it was done. I took three Advil before the procedure and that seems to help quite a lot.
Afterwards I was a bit crampy for a day or two and had mostly brown discharge, but really, it wasn't a big deal.

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
Jul2 (10-30-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

I've been dealing with this stuff off and on since 2005. Every biopsy had different levels of pain. My regular gyn did a biopsy in 2005 and told me to take ibuprofen before the procedure. The pain wasnt too bad. Then I had a leep following that, I didn't take anything, and I only felt a tiny pinch when they numbed me and then I never felt anything.
Fast forward to 2012, pap comes back abnormal and she wants to do a colpo with biopsy. Again I took 400 mg of ibuprofen. She took 4 samples, and with every sample I felt like passing out the pain was so bad. Couple week later I had the leep, no problems at all.
In September I was sent to a gynocologist oncologist and he did a biopsy and I hadnt taken anything, and the 1 spot he sampled was really bad.
I'm not going to say these things are without pain, but a few ibuprofen definitely help take the edge off.
And I agree, doctors seem to make these things sound painless. I usually have more problems a few hours/ days later with pain, cramping and bleeding.

The Following User Says Thank You to Erie0385 For This Useful Post:
Jul2 (10-30-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
(female)

elizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB User

I've had 3 colonoscopies. One at 39, 44 and 49. Only the first was painful and I said "Ow ow ow!" and the doc said, "Okay" and the pain stopped. It was about an 8, but it only lasted 5 seconds or so. It was a very sharp pain.

I had a different doc for the other 2 times and whatever drugs he gave me, I can honestly say were enjoyable. The only pain was the I.V. and gas afterwards. Not bad at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to elizabeth62 For This Useful Post:
Jul2 (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
(female)

Jul2 HB User
Colposcopy Pain & High Grade Cells Versus Low

Thanks for replying, all of you. What I'm guessing at though, is that those with high grade cells would experience much more pain than those with low grade cells. Have any of you had high grade cells and if so, what was your experience?

Old 10-30-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
(female)

Jul2 HB User
Colposcopy and Types of Drugs - Also Cancer Spread from Biopsy

If I do get the courage to undergo this, and I only have a few days to decide, I am thinking of taking a drug called TEVA-KETOROLAC, 10 MG, which I happen to have in my cabinet. Maybe that will be better than Advil.

But I'm not sure if I will undergo it yet because I'm sort of scared that once they damage the cervix by snipping or pulling pieces out, if there is a cancer there, it could spread faster and go through the system before any cancer was diagnosed, since I understand that cancer goes into the blood. Scary stuff.

Last edited by Jul2; 10-30-2012 at 02:24 AM. Reason: change of words

Old 10-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

My first time in 2005, I had low grade. This time it was high grade. From my pal in Feb to now, I went from having mild abnormal cells, to this last leep showing carcinoma in situ. Without being aggressive, the high grade cells can get worse a lot faster without treatment. The pathology from this last leep showed clear margins, so that being said, it shouldn't go any further.
If you have any hesitations, consult with a gynocologist oncologist. Their job includes getting rid of this stuff before it turns into invasive cancer.

The following user gives a hug of support to Erie0385:
Jul2 (10-31-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Erie0385 For This Useful Post:
Jul2 (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
(female)

Jul2 HB User

That's actually what concerns me most, Erie. When I was first told I had breast cancer about 5 years ago, I didn't want to believe it, so waited a year for a biopsy. It hadn't advanced any further during that time than it did at the start. A couple of weeks after the biopsy I had not one lump but now two. How did that happen so fast when I had waited a year without problems?

What left me in the most shock was the amount of what felt like punching, beating, stomping on, crushing, bruising of my breast as well as the tearing away of so many shreds of it. All of that was required in a few appointments before a person even went for surgery, leaving me in suffering from PST even before surgery, and that certainly hasn't helped recovery because it will likely remain forever more, although I am grateful for being alive. Surely women's breasts weren't designed to treated like that, I keep thinking.

After that entire awful process, which was not only exceptionally hard on the body but also the mind, I now felt that if I didn't much have cancer before, I would get it now. There were no palpable lump because it was DCIS.

After the operation, to my horror, I realized I didn't have a drain tube for what seemed like quarts of cancerous pus, so it was all forced to drain through my entire body. Guess what my thoughts were then. I have had breast pain ever since and today the scar is still red. It's as though my breast wants me to think carefully about such decision next time.

Now, after many years of not having sexual contact, they want do do the same thing to the cervix because suddenly they have found high grade abnormal cells. There is bleeding also, so this is isn't a decision to be taken lightly. .

OK, let's say I go for a colposcopy. A colposcopy is basically what I see as a prerequisite for repeated brutal colposcopies in the future, until finally so much damage is done that there is reason to perform an operation.

Each time a woman goes through this, the cervix seems to be screaming "Are you crazy? Why do you think I was put "inside of you" instead of the outside? It was to avoid this type of brutality!" Then it vomits out shocking amounts of lining as if to try to wake its owner up for the next decision.

They tell me that this colposcopy will get rid of early cancers. It seems that it hasn't done this for you, but of course all cancers take a different route and where that route goes depends as much on a person's past as on the present and future. It also depends on their current state of health and the foods they eat.

So what am I supposed to do about that bleeding if I'm such a "smart aleck know-it-all?" I haven't a clue, but sometimes feel that a strong trust in God or the self or whoever one has chosen as their master might haul in more clarity.

I may give in like everyone else, having been taught, like all the others, that corporatIons who cut the balls off of baby pigs with no empathy whatsoever, while their blood flings all over the place and they scream in ultimate agony at the top of their lungs and faint and die at their feet from shock of it, really have "my" interest at heart -- but do they? Can I not see that the biggest corporations in the world who run nearly everything and treat sweet helpless animals with such torture, might not be as loving and kind as I want to believe?

Every day I fear that women are increasingly being treated like poor innocent animals who have only a couple of weeks to enjoy the world before they are forced to endure the most grueling pain imaginable (and even not so imaginable).

Increasingly we are given fewer anesthetics while being forced to endure newer and more brutal machines. One day, I fear they may cut my infected arm or leg in the same manner. After all, it would only take a second if they used a good laser, and by the time I screamed, the appendage would already be off, just as neat and clean as if it had been done by a guillotine.

So often I try to convince myself that those who have no remorse at all for animals might really do things in my best interest, but must always remind myself to "never" forget the Jeckle side of the Hyde that most of these corporations are capable of.

Maybe women need to speak out more loudly and demand that only less invasive and safer testing be accepted for such procedures, instead of forever permitting these giant robots to become increasingly more violating, painful, and brutal.

I pray that your next cancer hasn't advanced as far as you may worry about. You may be thinking much more intellectually than I am at this stage, and even be making wiser decisions. After writing this I don't know if I will dare admit my final decision. All I wish for is that I will have to push the powers of the instinct given to me at birth to the utmost to ensure it's not derailed by a corporation that regards profit as something far more important than humanity. I have a few added concerns regarding Lyme as well, and the possible proliferation of it after this type of procedure, even though the disease itself hasn't been 100% confirmed.

Wherever you are in your stage of cancer, and whether or not you "allow" such treatment, I'm sure you will reach your decisions in the same way as I, so even if we should choose different methods (and I can't say we will), here's a "Prost" hoping our instincts lead us both to the best place -- on earth that is, for now anyway. Thanks

Closed Thread

Tags
bleeding, colposcopy, fear, pain, pap