It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

IceQueenClone HB User
Question CIN3, LEEP, now appointment made and not been given leep results?

Hi All

Like all you ladies on here am a bit worried at the moment (we do like to stress eh!) I had routine smear done which results were back within a week for CIN3 with referral to colposcopy unit within two weeks, so doing the naughty I looked at everything online and got myself into a bit of a tiz initially until I realised how common this can be, so relaxed somewhat since the pap smear only came back with dysplasia and nothing worse.. so trundled off to the colpo appointment and had the LLETZ (Leep) procedure done there and then, gyn had said about lesions and visual confirmation of CIN3, procedure was not too bad, not painful but not the most comfortable either, particularly when your legs are not on the stirrups properly and you are trying to make sure they do not fall off! Anyhow... gyn said results should be back within 4 to 6 weeks so should hopefully get them around Xmas time or just after and that I would not need to be seen until 6 months to have a routine smear with them. Today I had a letter through from the gyn department 3 weeks after my lletz treatment telling me that I have an appointment with the gyn team in 6 days that I need to attend, no results info of the lletz and no call back from the ward when I asked for clarification regarding results etc.

I have been looking online again and have got the general information as follows:

If unclear margins they normally wait 3 to 6 months before doing a follow up smear to allow cervix time to heal as the margins may have been burnt off during the procedure leaving no bad cells on the cervix

The cervix does take time to heal and you have to wait a number of weeks after your initial lletz before you have another one.

I just wondered has anyone else had a letter to tell you to go in and see them after the leep at all, if so could anyone share their experiences please? I would like to know what to expect, but to be honest I think it is likely they have found something there which is why they are calling me back in so quickly as would not likely do that just for unclear margins. It may not be of course but I wish the hospitals would be more clear as so many women are left confused and worried by letters from them that do not give enough information at all.

Sorry about the waffling but as you can imagine am a little worried at the moment and waiting for a week is doing to drive me nuts. On the bright side... I have up smoking 5 weeks ago!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
(female)

Atlantic722 HB User
Re: CIN3, LEEP, now appointment made and not been given leep results?

I just had my LEEP done about a week ago and my next appointment is in 3 weeks to get the results as well as make sure everything is healing properly. I was told after that, I'd have a follow up pap in 3 months.

If you're unsure what this next appointment is for, I'd call the dr and just ask! You certainly have a right to know what you're going in for.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
(female)

IceQueenClone HB User

Hi Atlantic and thanks for replying.

I did manage to get hold of the ward today and was told I would not get any information over the phone about results, when I called back later I was then told my results were in transit to the gyn and could not find where they were at the moment. After questions from me she confirmed that follow up appts made prior to the 6 months were generally because further procedures are needed but would not say any more. Could just be I need another Lletz as did not get all the CIN, just hope that is the case!

It would be easier if our health care said come back and get your results like yours did as would reduce a lot of stress for people in this situation!

xx

Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
(female)

Atlantic722 HB User

I am super stressed about what my results will be so I can certainly relate!

I've been doing a lot of research and even if the margins are unclear, you don't necessarily need a second LEEP. So make sure you ask the dr lots of questions before you have a second procedure! Good luck with your appointment...hoping you get good news.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
(female)

IceQueenClone HB User

The waiting is the worst part isn't it, and when you first hear CIN and do the research it can be really confusing, the good thing is that the majority of cases that is all it is and treated very easily, doesn't help when you read stories of when it isn't, but thankfully they are few and far between.

Keep me posted on your results too, two stressed women are better than one on their own

xx

Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
(female)

IceQueenClone HB User

Hi, had the meeting today and unfortunately they did find cancer in the cervical canal (believe is adenocarcinoma) and they suggest it is a minimum of stage 1b1 due to the leision size but will not be able to give a full staging diagnosis until have had an MRI on the 24th Dec and other bladder and bowel tests as well as further cervical biopsy and pelvic exam under general on the 7th Jan. Should find out staging by mid to end of Jan hopefully. Minimum treatment will involve a radical hysterectomy is clarifies as 1b1, this may change if it is more advanced.

Funny but am a lot more relaxed knowing this and fel like a weight has lifted as finally have a diagnosis and no more waiting around with the 'do I don't I' at least now I can plan and know where abouts am going.

I hope your results Atlantic are clear and you do not need any further treatment

xxx

Old 12-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
(female)

Atlantic722 HB User

I am so sorry to hear this, but I'm glad you have some peace of mind in having a diagnosis. I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your follow up tests and any other procedures you may need. Please keep us updated on your prognosis.

I get my results on Jan 2, so I am still playing the waiting game.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
(female)

IceQueenClone HB User

I will do hun and thank you, and let us know as soon as you get yours, I think the waiting is terrible and wish they would change it so women do not have to wait as long before they get answers, thankfully the majority of people get very positive results and all clear after LLETZ which am keeping my fingers crossed for you with xx

Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
(female)

IceQueenClone HB User

How did your results go hun? xx

My Xray and MRI came back clear so no advanced spread which is great xx

Old 01-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #10
(female)

Atlantic722 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueenClone View Post
How did your results go hun? xx

My Xray and MRI came back clear so no advanced spread which is great xx
So glad to hear this!

I posted about my results in this thread (don't want to be repetitive for others reading this):
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-cervical-ovarian/933769-positive-margin-after-leep.html

Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
(female)

IceQueenClone HB User

Quick note to say that bowel and bladder appear clear also, consultation on 18th Jan with the surgeon, and likely in for hysto a week after that, seeing an end in sight now, and getting to finding my way around the hospital lol xx

Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
(female)

Knittersbrat HB User

I had my Colposcopy done this past Thursday and yesterday was told that I have CIN3 and needed to have the LEEP procedure done. They set my appointment up for this Friday for the LEEP. I freaked out yesterday after I was told and am just worried. I am not sure what any of this means except for what I read on the web. If anyone has some helpful advice I would really appreciate it.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
(female)

IceQueenClone HB User

Hi hun, from what I have read and been told, CIN3 (or severe dysplasia) is a pre cancerous condition which means that it is not yet cancer at all, it means that left untreated then it could possibly turn into cancer in the future, more often than not this would take years to do. The fact that you had the colposcopy is good, and that they confirmed CIN3 from it, it is also good that they are doing the LEEP also as this generally clears the CIN in one go. It is very rare for it to be misdiagnosed from the colpo but as you can see in my case this did happen, on the bright side, if it is slightly worse than originally thought then the good news is that they would have caught it at such an early stage that treatment stands the best chance of success.

The LEEP procedure is not the nicest but it is not painful, a bit worse than the average smear test and takes slightly longer, but the worst part for me was having someone sit down there doing the procedure, my advice would be strike up a convo with the nurse there and keep talking to them then will be over before you know it. Generally people do not get pain afterwards from it at all but may feel a bit like period cramps for a day or so after. Do watch out for discharge afterwards though as you will get some, I had about three weeks worth and used panty liners for that time.

Good luck for your procedure and will be thinking of you! Let us know how you get on wont you, the wait is the worst bit until you know is all fine, and do not be afraid to ask questions and phone up the gyn also if you want things explained xx

The Following User Says Thank You to IceQueenClone For This Useful Post:
Knittersbrat (01-15-2013)
Closed Thread