It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
(female)

shellsy HB User
Unhappy still HPV+ after LEEP- why?? will it ever clear?

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with HPV five years ago- I might have had it for longer though. It only ever caused CIN1 (mild dysplasia) until last year, when my dr. found a small area of HSIL during a colpo. I had a LEEP and it came back LSIL. (not sure why the lab was using the SIL system as opposed to the CIN). My doctor said the margins were clear, but on the lab report there was no comment about the margins- I guess because it was only a low grade result? This has always been confusing to me. Anyway, since my LEEP I've had an ASCUS pap with HPV detected (4 months post leep) and then 2 normal paps. I have a new dr. now and she did an HPV test. It is still positive more than a year after my LEEP. My question is, does this mean the LEEP was unsuccessful? Is there still any chance the HPV will clear after 5 years? Will the dysplasia probably come back? And- this will sound crazy, but since the HPV hasn't cleared yet, will I definitely get cancer? (had to ask) I'm taking all the supplements and I eat healthy and exercise. I'm just so frustrated.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
(female)

jlmk1985 HB User
Re: still HPV+ after LEEP- why?? will it ever clear?

The LEEP doesnt get rid of the HPV, only the dysplasia that is present at the time. Your immune system has to actually fight the HPV off. I've been dealing with this since 2007 myself, high risk HPV and all my colpos always came back as inflammation or cin1, until earlier this year it came back as cin2, and then high grade dysplasia in all three biopsies in november. i have to have the laser ablation done january 3rd and i am absolutely terrified. this definately doesnt mean that you will get cancer. Just make sure you always have your checkups when you're supposed to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
(female)

shellsy HB User

Thanks for the reply JLMK! Has your doctor ever told you whether it's still possible to fight it off, even after having it for so long? It makes me feel better to know I'm not alone, even though I'm sorry you're dealing with this crap too.

I think that with procedures like ablation and LEEP it removes most of the area with the virus in it, which makes it easier for your body to fight it off. At least I have read that after a procedure the HPV test should be negative within 6-12 months, which is why I'm frustrated that mine is still positive. I hope yours clears up soon! As for the procedure, I've heard it isn't too bad so try not to worry too much. For me, it helped to have the dr. prescribe xanax for the morning of the LEEP. It ended up not being bad at all, but the hours leading up to it I was really anxious! afterwards I felt like I had wasted a lot of time being worried over nothing...

Old 12-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
(female)

jlmk1985 HB User

You're welcome! The way my gyn/onc makes it sound, your immune system has to be strong enough to fight it off, which is why smoking is so bad for it, which I am trying to quit btw. Then again, hes also pretty negative and told me I'd probably have to deal with this forever. I think theres something they haven't quite figured out yet about fighting it off that has more to do with your immune system. Some people never even know they have it, while others like us have to deal with it for a long time. The good thing is that as long as we keep an eye on it, it will rarely turn into invasive cancer. The bad thing, we have no idea when and if we'll ever have clear paps again. Mine have always been abnormal since 2007 and I have had 4 colpos. Im hoping this laser works, I wanted the leep really bad but three different doctors said "its not right for me". sometimes I feel like its about the money because the laser is so so expensive and outdated, while the leep is simpler and cheaper. who knows, hopefully for us both we can get rid of this crap sooner then later. BTW, do you know if you have any endocervical involvement or just ectocervical?

Closed Thread

Tags
ascus, cervical dysplasia, colposcopy, leep, pap smear