It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
(female)

stevieb123 HB User
Need advice :-/

Hi im new to this forum & am just looking for some advice. Over the past year & half I have been through numerous smear tests that come back abnormal & have undergone two colposcopy (spelling!) treatments. Recently I have been getting symptoms of intense lower back pain which comes & goes, bloatedness which also comes & goes & have lost interest in food as in tastes etc. I also get pain during certain parts of intercourse & my periods are very heavy although always on time. So, when I look up these symptoms online they always point towards ovarian cancer. I know the first thing you will all say is to visit my gp, but my gp isn't the best & usually fobs me off. I just wanted to arm myself with lots of info before I go, so what im basically asking is could all the abnormal smear results be an indication of ovarian cancer?? Or is that something seperate?? & could I just be worrying myself over nothing at all?

Thanks

Steph

Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
(female)

pumpkinx HB User
Re: Need advice :-/

Hey!

I'm not sure I can be of much help as I have no experience with abnormal pap smears but I wanted to reply all the same.

It sounds to me like you definitely need to change GP. I've also had a situation recently where I was not taken seriously, and I didn't want to change GP. After thinking it over though, I realised it's a little inconvenient to do so but it's worth doing. Your health is a number one priority in life and you should get a GP who you feel comfortable with and who listens to you. If you approach a GP with the symptoms you described, I highly doubt they would send you away empty-handed. I think they would certainly do some tests to see what's going on, and to be able to put your mind at ease .

If I were you, I would write down a list of all your symptoms including when they started, so you can visit the doctor with a clear mindset of what you want to say. And definitely stop looking on the internet - I made the same mistake and stressed myself out soo much! In the end, only trained professionals looking at your body can really say if there are any problems or not.

I really wish you good luck with it all! xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Pap smears check for cervical (not ovarian) changes - abnormal cells and cancer. Relatively harmless inflammation and infections can also cause abnormal paps so it's generally recommended that if you get abnormal results to repeat the pap a couple of times (I think they say at 6 month intervals) before undergoing any treatment. I personally have found the .gov websites about pap testing, HPV testing, and cervical changes to be more comprehensive as well as easy to understand than other "reputable" websites.

Since you're having some new symptoms, an appointment with your GP or gynecologist may be in order.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
(female)

heather583 HB User

Oh Gosh you sound like me over the last two years. I have had all these things with extreme pelvic / tummy pain which led to investigary laparoscopy and womb scape etc. To no avail except suggested Irritable bowel syndrome. Finally, two colposcopys later after highest cells you can get, spinal xrays, two mri's. I have had four spinal cortisone injections for collapsed disc and degeneration in my spine. Have now got control of my pain with pilates. Still on diclofenic and tramadol at times but when I reduce my diclofenic I bleed all the time. Heading for my next colposcopy and just wishing for a hysterectomy to hopefully put an end to it because the colposcopy freaks me out. Having worked with horses all my life and taught all over the North I have had to change everything but I have to keep smiling and when you want something done you need to shout loud! They just fob you off with painkillers and antiobiotics because they might help.... I have to push on now for something else to be done. Aaaah! Good luck. Keep smiling. :-)

Old 03-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

heather - Have you had multiple paps showing dysplasia? I had an abnormal pap years ago and it was repeated after about 6 months and was normal. The abnormal one was "chalked up" to harmless inflammation or infection. I had a hysterectomy (for an unrelated issue) and I've regretted it ever since. My body has changed so much (inside and out) and my "physical" relationship with my husband has suffered horribly. Many other problems too. So hopefully, if you need any treatment for the abnormal pap (LEEP or conization or other removal of cells), it takes care of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
heather583 (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
(female)

heather583 HB User

Hi, Yes unfortunatley they keep coming back with the highest grade III. I am waiting for my next burning session and its just awful, I cannot cope with it. I think its phycological now but they will not allow sedation in this clinic and we do not have an option with NHS and I am not able to go private. Yuk, am not looking forward to it. :-(

Reply Reply