It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
(female)

helen110 HB User
ovarian cyst - possible cancer??

Im 41yrs old pre menopausal and have been diagnosed with a 4.5cm cyst on my left ovary. I had an ultrasound to locate a stray mirena coil which is when the cyst was found. The coil was removed and the ultrasound was repeated 6 weeks later and found the cyst was still there. Meanwhile I went to my gp to ask for a CA125 test which came back as 66. When I went for the results she also advised me that the most recent scan showed the cyst to be made up of various tissue types not just one. She is referring me for an urgent appointment with the gyn unit at my local hospital but I am worried sick that this is cancer. Anyone been through anything like this?? any advice??

Old 03-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
(female)

theladybug4 HB User
Re: ovarian cyst - possible cancer??

Helen110 I am in a similar situation to yours. What did you find out? Please let us know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
(female)

helen110 HB User

I decided to go private to get answers sooner. Thankfully it seems that the consultant is 99% certain this is endemetriosis. He is doing an ultrasound again and I am scheduled for surgery to remove the cyst and hopefully just 1 ovary in May (delayed surgery for my holiday which he said was ok). He will double check during the operation that there is no cancer - if there is it will be full hysterectomy but he said if he thought there was a chance of cancer he would make me cancel my holiday and have the surgery now!! I went through the worst week of my life so scared but feel much more relaxed now. As long as its not cancer I can face anything, good luck and let me know how you get on.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I had a complex ovarian cyst (had some solid matter). "Various tissue types" almost sounds like dermoid which are benign. And endometriomas are also benign (I think they always are). I know some cysts can hang around awhile but then go away on their own but this doesn't sound very likely.

Even though mine was benign, my gynecologist removed both ovaries, my uterus, and tubes. My life's been in a tailspin ever since. If I had it to do all over again, I would have trusted my intuition and sought out a doctor who said he would only remove the cyst and preserve my ovary or at least as much ovarian tissue as possible. I didn't need anything else removed so my gynecologist took advantage of me and removed my healthy organs.

I also wish I'd known:
- how common it is for women to have healthy organs removed
- the female organs are essential our entire life and aren't just for reproduction
- HRT isn't nearly like our own ovaries
- the gynecology surgery consent forms are fairly "open ended" so it's best to write in what can and cannot be done/removed to be "safe"

Hope your cyst is nothing serious and you come through the surgery with flying colors!

Reply Reply