It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
(female)

Runnin HB User
Thumbs down Abnormal pap again 5 years after LEEP

5 years ago, my PAP went from normal to highly abnormal cells within a year. Immediately did Colpo and LEEP. I've had normal PAPs since then until this last one a week ago. Docs office called today and said some Doctor (not mine because mine is on vacation) in the practice received my PAP results and they were abnormal and that Doc wants me to redo the PAP in 6 months. I am concerned because the Doc who received my results doesn't know me or my history - did he go back and look 5 years ago? The nurse said, well he should. I have no other information about the results and they wouldn't give any specific results over the phone, I have to make an appointment now to get more info about the results. Do you think waiting 6 months sounds 'normal' given the fast progression of the first set of issues 5 years ago? Am I just worrying over nothing?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
Re: Abnormal pap again 5 years after LEEP

I've felt with this twice myself. The first time mine didn't quickly progress but my dr kept up on checking me until I needed the LEEP. And once I had 2 years of clear results I went back to seeing her every year. Then about 5 years later I had an abnormal pap, had the colpo and biopsy and from there my results kept getting worse. Had another LEEP, 4 months later still was showing CINlll, and she refered me to a gynocologist oncologist for my third LEEP.

From all the research I've done, it's extremely rare for these things to progress this quickly. But somehow this second round mine was moving fast. I would think with your history, applying the wait and see for 6 months isnt right. I at least would be asking for the colpo and biopsy to see where things stand. If that comes back okay, I'd feel better about the wait and see approach.

Of course this is my two cents worth, but I hope it helps. Good luck!
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
(female)

Runnin HB User

Thanks Erie. So, I didn't like not knowing what the results were myself so I requested and received a copy of the lab report. Here's what it says: "Epithialial cell abnormality. Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance." My understanding is this is a pretty benign statement? and lots of women get these results and it turns out to be nothing at the 6 mth check.
What do you think now that I actually have the results? Would you still go see the Doc prior to 6 mths?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

As far as I know that usually means its pretty harmless and it resolves on its own. My gyn has always started out with a 3 month observation. And then we go from there. At this point with everything I've been through, I like the idea of 3 months. I'd be scared in 6 months something changed..with the results you received I think it's standard to wait 6 months. The dr didn't say anything else about your history? Have you been tested for HPV?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
(female)

Runnin HB User

Do they always test for HPV when they do a PAP? If they did it this time, I didn't get those results.
However, 5 years ago, I remember the Doc telling me I was HPV positive. I know it's a virus and can flare up at any time, but does just having a positive result 5 years ago make me high risk now? (I'm not sure that made sense, but I guess I'm just wondering if in this situation with the 'abnormal' PAP if the previous HPV positive test makes me high risk?).
Yeah, waiting 6 months seems like too much of a gamble...

Old 03-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

I honestly don't know. I felt like my first time dealing with this, they told me that once my results came back abnormal they test for HPV, and I did test positive for that. This last time, I don't remember my gyno bringing up the HPV? I mean clearly there's something going on with me, with all my wacky results.

Is there any way you could call the office and talk to the nurse and bring up your worries with your previous experience? See if they still think waiting 6 months is okay?

I know for most women, it ends up resolving itself, and it's not a big deal. But I fall into that rare category, and within 6 months went from mild abnormal to CINlll, and they were saying I really needed to consider a hysterectomy. I told them no way! I'm 27 and no kids yet. That's a pretty high priority for me. I'd also consider that....if you haven't had kids or want more, I'd want to find out the risk in waiting.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
(female)

Runnin HB User

Well, turns out there was a 2nd page of results that were faxed to my husband's office and he brought it home today. It had the HPV results as negative. So, now I'm guessing that's why they are taking the 'wait and see' approach. I'm still thinking I'd feel better going back in at 3 months...

Old 03-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Well it's probably a lot better that it came back negative. At that point there could be a number of reasons it came back abnormal. Like, having sex within 24 hours before the pap, some kind of infection, having the pap right before your period. Again, I feel the same way about waiting 6 months....
My best friend and cousin went through this recently, and even though their pap smears werent completely bad like mine...they ended up having a colpo and biopsy just to be on the safe side. Those results came back fine and they are on the 6 month plan.

Reply Reply