It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
(female)

skyroses HB User
Unhappy CIN I-II share experience

Hello to all,
I am new on the boards but by searching about CIN I discovered some comments. Last week I had the first frightening experience in my life. I had a pap smear and the result was not as expected. Infact it was with ASCUS. So my doc told me about colposcopy and biopsy. I had them today. The result of the colposcopy was CIN I-II and I will be waiting for the biopsy results.
I must say my world turned upside down all of a sudden. My only thought was my little daughter.. Does anyone know if CIN I-II is mild or not and what action can you take afterwards. How can I handle the psychological distress and turmoil?

Any advice or comments are welcome. Thank you very much

Old 05-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: CIN I-II share experience

it is mild dysplasia, could be caused by an infection.....
ask your doctor about cryosurgery. It will fix the problem, painlessly in one office visit......don't worry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
(female)

skyroses HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
it is mild dysplasia, could be caused by an infection.....
ask your doctor about cryosurgery. It will fix the problem, painlessly in one office visit......don't worry
I read for cryo that it may leave scars and it may be difficult for 2nd child . Any way it is good to know it is not sth serious though I will be freaking out until the biopsy comes out.

Thank you so much for your reply, Very comforting. Wish you all the best Rosequartz!

Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Mild dysplasia usually reverts to normal on its own in young women. This is why the pap smear guidelines have been changed to test every 3 years instead of every year for women who're at normal risk. Also, it's generally recommended that an abnormal pap smear be repeated one or two times before doing any further testing or treatment.

See what the biopsy shows and then do your research to determine the best course of action as far as monitoring or further testing (such as an HPV test) or treatment. Yes, some treatments for cervical dysplasia can cause fertility and pregnancy problems so overtreatment can be just as problematic as undertreatment.

Let us know what you find out (hopefully, good news).

Old 05-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

i don't think that is the case with cryo.....I would be more concerned about the leep procedure

Old 05-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
(female)

JLena HB User

First of all, I am sorry you are having to deal with this. All of us here know how hard it is and remember you are NOT alone. With that said I am going to give you the info I have discovered over the past month and a half since getting my LSIL pap.

I went to the doctor last week and had a pre-possible colpo consultation with my doctor and Ill give you a run down of what she told me.

She said:
There are 3 common abnormal paps that she sees often.

1. ASCUS which is what you have. ASCUS is low grade abnormalities of unknown origin. This means that it isn't likely it is caused by HPV (is a possiblity but not likely). ASCUS is pretty common and usually resolves on its own and isn't a big concern to her or her practice. Usually patients are told to return in 6 months to a year to repap. This may go on for 2 years before a colpo is performed if ASCUS remains and does not get better.

2. LSIL...this is the same as ASCUS changes but they are 85% of the time caused by HPV. I have and LSIL pap and honestly my doctor wasn't worried at all which relieved me greatly. They usually try to do a colpo with this type of pap but in women in their mid and early 20s these changes usually revert back. She gave me the option to sit it out for 3 months and come back for a colpo.

3. HSIL these are taken more seriously and usually requier an immediate colpo. HSIL is NOT cancer but it is far more likely to turn into it than ASCUS or LSIL.

These three paps correlate to CIN 1, 2 or 3.

ASCUS from what my doctor said isn't even considered dysplasia really. See your doctor said it looks like CIN 1-2 but you may get your biopsies back and it be totally normal. I am almost willing to bet that is the case.

LSIL correlates to CIN 1 which is mild dysplasia

HSIL usually correlates to CIN 2/CIN 3 or moderate to severe abnormalities.

I honestly think you are in a GREAT place and you are a far cry from cancer.

I would if at all possible, stay away from the LEEP procedure. They literally cut chunks of your cervix off. My mother has a friend who had LEEP 2 times and she cannot carry a baby. ALWAYS if you feel uncomfortable get a second opinion. Cervical cancer is so slow growing that there is NO reason to rush into a panic and have the first surgery done that the doctro suggest. Research your options if you need to have a procedure done.

CIN 1 is usually not treated at all unless it sticks around for 2 years.....CIN 1 has a high regression rate.

You can do things to help your body regress your abnormalities....I am taking folic acid, a prenatal vitamin, vitamin C, Beta Carotene and Borage oil. All of these help in producing healthy cell DNA and help your immune system out. Your cervix reproduces cells every 7-14 days so it is a constant process. There are plenty of studies on beta caratene and folic acid aiding in the regression of cervical dysplasia. Just google it.

Stress is a hard thing to get through when you have an abrnomal pap. I suggest talking to your family about your situation.....that helped me a lot. Just being able to talk to my family and know that they are there for me. Also, once i talked to my family I realized that quiet a few of my family members have been through an abnormal pap and survived it just fine.....most of them with no procedures at all.

Just hang in there and ALWAYS seek out all of your options. The healthcare field does thrive on money and I do strongly believe that some of the gyno procedures are overused and can cause serious issues that didn't have to come about at all. Do not let your doctor scare you into doing anything. Do what feels right to you...

Hang in there! I am willing to bet everything turns out just fine!

Old 05-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #7
(female)

skyroses HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLouisgal View Post
Mild dysplasia usually reverts to normal on its own in young women. This is why the pap smear guidelines have been changed to test every 3 years instead of every year for women who're at normal risk. Also, it's generally recommended that an abnormal pap smear be repeated one or two times before doing any further testing or treatment.

See what the biopsy shows and then do your research to determine the best course of action as far as monitoring or further testing (such as an HPV test) or treatment. Yes, some treatments for cervical dysplasia can cause fertility and pregnancy problems so overtreatment can be just as problematic as undertreatment.

Let us know what you find out (hopefully, good news).
Thank you for your reply. Actually in my country tha pap smear should be done once a year and since I am not so young.... This time I delayed it for 6 months almost and it was out of the blue. The result was just ASCUS. If it was by HPV I think I should have been told on the result since there is a special field for this. Maybe it is another kind of infection and as my doc said it may need antibiotics. The pap suggestion was just a repetition after a six month period. But my doc said it would be better if e do the colp and biopsy now to be on the safe side. My midwife was also present that day and they did not seem to worry much. I think the guy who did the colp also. I asked him straightforward if this was cancer and he said not.

Anyway I will surely keep you posted of the biopsy result. Wishing you all the best!

Old 05-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
(female)

skyroses HB User

Is leep procedure the laser thing as they remove the infected area? It is as they do it conically? Sth like this my midwife said and she also added it could be more difficult if I want to get pregnant again.

Thanks for getting back to me in advance. It is really amazing to see how we can get feedback by people for around the world but the most important is that there are people out there who can support you because they share the same experience and know exactly how you feel....

Old 05-16-2013, 02:20 AM   #9
(female)

skyroses HB User

Thank you so much for the so detailed info. Actually we did not talk so much with my doc since he waits the biopsy so we can take action after that.
Yes the stress and fear is tremendous and if you add up other things too, you feel exploding. I have not talked to anyone within my family yet. I think I will avoid talking to my mum because she will go nuts. I am planning to talk to my brother sometime soon.
But to tell you the truth I smoke and my midwife said it may have been caused by this and told me to quit. I am planning to visit an acupuncturist to get help on this though I have already reduced it.
The doc also said that it may go away after the dissinfection of the area because of the colp and biopsy. I agree with you on the fact many in the medical field over use techniques ...
All the info you send me just verify what I found out myself on the internet too..

So after your pap results, what action have you been taking? I wish you all the best.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think you may be referring to a "cone biopsy", where they take the surface of the cervix off. It's cut off in a cone shape with the surface of the cervix being the top and deeper in it tapers to a point (picture an ice cream cone). Leep will slice the top layer of your cervix off flat. I still think you need to investigate cryosurgery. It's safer, less invasive and will have less side effects and less chance of re-occurrence

Old 05-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #11
(female)

skyroses HB User

Thank you so much for the extra info. I will have it in mind. For the time being I am waiting for the biopsy results and let you know.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
(female)

jstbhappy HB User

I had mild dysplasia for OVER TEN YEARS with no treatment. My first colposcopy and biopsy was over a year ago and it was still mild enough just to wait and watch. I had another colposcopy and biopsy last month and my dysplasia progressed to possible high grade. This past Tuesday I had LEEP. the results were CIN 3 (severe dyplashia) thankfully all my margins were clear of any problem. I have my follow up in six months and my doctor expects a normal result.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
(female)

skyroses HB User

Oh I am so sorry to hear about this. I will go to pick up my results this week, but I am still afraid. How come... 10 years? So I guess docs do not usually do anything?. I want to have another baby but I am not so young... I do not know if this can affect pregnancy and if it comes back. To tell you the truth I must stop smoking, I think this affacts the whole system.
Anyway, how was the leep? Is it necessary to do an HPV test? Can you have a shot or only young girls can have it?

I wish you all the best with the results. Just let us know

Reply Reply