It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

My Colonoscopy Experience

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
busymommy
Veteran
(female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User
My Colonoscopy Experience

First of all, let me say that no two people are alike and that your results may differ from mine. With that said, I would like to detail my recent colonoscopy in hopes that it may enlighten those who have yet to have one and those who may have had one a while back and things are always changing.

I had my first colonoscopy 10 years ago. The prep at that time was drinking over one gallon of liquid over a period of time. I do remember drinking starting at 12:00 p.m. and again at 6:00 p.m. of the same day. It was lots of liquid! And it tasted terrible!

Fast forward to April of 2017. This time, the prep I used was called Suprep. You mix a six-ounce bottle of liquid crud with water equaling 16 oz., drink it down and then follow with 32 oz. of water. I took this at 6:00 p.m. the evening before my colonoscopy and then repeated the same thing at 5:00 a.m. the day of my colonoscopy.

The way my gastro doctor had me prep was no fiber diet two days prior and then only liquids the day before.

A tip to drinking and something I read which was helpful, is have the liquid cold and drink it through a straw. I also mixed A LITTLE Crystal Light with the solution to take the medicinal taste away. I also sipped the mixture, while holding my breath and then took a drink of Propel water to minimize the bad taste. It was a mix between sweet and savory, but definitely not unbearable.

After taking the first dose at 6:00 p.m., I had one fairly large bowel movement about one hour later and then nothing else that evening! I thought this isnít bad at all. Well, then comes 5:00 a.m. the next morning when you have to repeat everything over. This time, I finished the mixture at around 5:30 and even before finishing the 32 oz. of water, BANG! Wow, I was cleaned out in a few hours and everything came out like a waterfall! You know you have done a good job when whatever winds up coming out at the end is clear. I had to leave for my 8:00 a.m. appointment at 7:30 a.m., not really knowing if I was going to have to go again. I would suggest maybe wearing an adult diaper to the doctorís office, in case you need to go on the way! I didnít have one so I wrapped a towel in my undies, just in case. I didnít go in the car, but needed to dash to the restroom 2-3 times prior to the colonoscopy.

Now the colonoscopy is starting. You canít drink anything at all two hours prior to the procedure, but you have been going to the bathroom A LOT and when they attempted to put in the IV, they had a really hard time, because I was dehydrated! No duh! There isnít much you can do about this. They eventually found a vein somewhere on my right side, but the doctor was talking to me trying to distract me and I think it was finally put in my hand.

Colonoscopy is done. With the light anesthesia given, you donít (and shouldnít) remember much, if anything, about the whole process. I loved that part!

You then recover and my doctor said to resume a regular diet as soon as I felt like it.

I had one bowel movement the evening of and saw blood in my stool and on the toilet paper. I called after hours and they said to watch it and let them know if it didnít go away the next day. Well, the next day, today, I have another bowel movement and everything comes out good. I am hoping to be out of the woods at this point.

I have had discomfort in my intestines, passing gas and feeling somewhat nauseous. I took some gas pills for this and they really helped.

I had three ďdiminutiveĒ (small) polyps that were removed and sent to pathology. I am crossing my fingers to receive a good report back. After this, the doctor will give recommendations on when to repeat the colonoscopy.

Not a lot of fun, but necessary if you are 50 and above. I would rather go through this than not and find out too late that I have colon cancer!

Hope this has been helpful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2017, 05:02 AM   #2
52ken
Senior Veteran
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User
Re: My Colonoscopy Experience

Thanks, that was very helpful. I hope all is good with the results. Take care.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
busymommy
Veteran
(female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User
Re: My Colonoscopy Experience

A few small polyps, taken off, no colonoscopy for another 10 years!! Of course, unless something comes up before then!

Reply Reply