It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Please help! Terrified that I may have Colon Cancer!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2017, 12:26 AM   #1
CanesSoMi
(female)

CanesSoMi HB User
Please help! Terrified that I may have Colon Cancer!

I hope that someone will please answer, since I'm desperate with worry and can't stop crying. I've been downright stupid, I will admit, I'm 62 and have never had a colonoscopy out of fear of the anesthesia. Neither colon cancer nor polyps run in my family, and I have labs done every 6 months (last time 2 weeks ago) and everything was completely normal so I haven't worried much about the colonoscopy.However, over the past couple of years, I've had very light pink blood 2 or 3 times, only on the toilet paper after an urgent BM, and twice a tiny bit or red blood, again on the paper. I have small hemorrhoids but don't know if this is what caused the bleeding.

The reason why I feel so anxious is because a couple of months ago, I started feeling a light but nevertheless worrisome "sensation" which I thought was due to a small left ovarian cyst - an on and off momentary cramp or "twinge" in that area, but after ultrasounds, my GYN tells me that the cyst is too small and per the radiologist, benign, and recommended that I have a colonoscopy.

I've never eaten much fiber but have always been pretty regular. I'm now terrified because I've increased my fiber significantly and the frequency of bowel movements that I have should be much more than what I'm having. They're pasty, and not as thick as they used to be (sorry about the details) and don't come every day. I don't feel as if I've gone enough, and the sensation on the left side is now more frequent and stronger. I eat a very low fat diet due to gallbladder issues, but lead a very sedentary life and am a totally depressed mess. Do any of you think this could be colon cancer? Have you had similar symptoms? What was your diagnosis? If you were diagnosed with cancer, how long ago? If you are older like me, any problems with the procedure or anesthesia? I have an appointment with a GI doctor in a couple of weeks and I imagine we'll schedule a colonoscopy. I'm so afraid that I have wasted the life that God so generously gave me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2017, 06:53 AM   #2
renko
Veteran
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User
Re: Please help! Terrified that I may have Colon CA!

Hi, I am so sorry you are having such distress. Our minds can really become overactive and I know how you feel since I over think a lot of things too. I have had colonoscopy check-ups and the cleaning out phase is not great but manageable and you can do it. It is important to start getting things looked at inside of our bodies. I am 64 years old and have two bouts of cancer, breast and bladder but they got them early and I am still here. We all many times allow fear to rule our lives but God is still in control and you are making decisions to find out what is causing you some sleepless nights and lack of peace. I find that when I make a decision to be proactive in my own health that my mind becomes more at peace. I wish you the best. Fears are usually in our minds and the reality of a situation is not as bad as we thought. Let us know what happened and remember you can do it!

Old 05-09-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

First of all, you do not have to have anesthesia to have a colonoscopy. Many doctors do them under "twighlight sedation" or "Conscious sedation" which is nothing more than a painkiller and something for you to relax. You are not put to sleep although you probably will be so sleepy, you wont remember much. Its like having a nap...a really good one!

Secondly, what you are describing sounds like internal hemmorrhoids. Have you considered this? You can have them and not have pain. A GI doctor can tell if this is what it is and there are all sorts of quick fixes for them, including hemmorroid banding. You should ask about this!

Lastly, colon cancer is the most treatable cancer in the world as long as it is found early...there are some tests which can be done which include stool tests- they arent plesant, but they can help detect abnormalities which would require further testing.. talk to a GI doctor about your options.

Dont put this off. You can save your own life by going.

Best to you.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:40 AM   #4
CanesSoMi
(female)

CanesSoMi HB User

renko, I'm so thankful for your response and that you understand how I feel. I'm a worrier to begin with, and always fear the worst, but your reassurance has had a great effect on me. I feel as if you've given me the push and re-direction I needed so that I can function. I'm so sorry about all you've gone through with your cancers. Thank God they were caught early and that you are now healthy. I pray that He will continue to bless you and all of us with health. I'll let you know how the appointment went (May 30th). Thank you again.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:52 AM   #5
CanesSoMi
(female)

CanesSoMi HB User

Hi, MSNik, thanks so much for responding. My cardiologist told me that they would use propofol. I have a bundle branch block, maybe that's why he mentioned this anesthetic. I wonder if it can be administered as a light sedation. I have no idea. I'm due for an appointment soon, so I'll ask him about the conscious sedation.

I hope you're right and it's hemorrhoids. There's still the matter of the occasional twinge on the left side, though. I have an appointment with a GI doctor in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll be offered other options but with my age and never having a colonoscopy, I have a feeling that's what they'll recommend.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
renko
Veteran
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User
Re: Please help! Terrified that I may have Colon Cancer!

Hi I am so glad you received comfort in what others have shared with you. I am so grateful to be alive and healthy and I try to be proactive. If there is anything I don't feel right in or on my body, I check it out with a doctor. Life is good and most of the time when we worry nothing ever comes from it. Early detection and skilled doctors help give us peace of mind. I wish you the very best and having an attitude of gratitude and looking at all the beauty of the day and being with people who love and accept us, that is what life is all about. God bless you.

The Following User Says Thank You to renko For This Useful Post:
CanesSoMi (05-16-2017)
Reply Reply