It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Did I have to go through so much?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2017, 02:47 AM   #1
ibswift1
(male)

ibswift1 HB User
Did I have to go through so much?

I'm a 57 year old male. I had a colonoscopy and they removed 12 polyps, 2 had cancer. 1 in the rectum and 1 in descending colon. Genetics was done but came back negative. CT scan was done and no signs of spreading.They wanted to do surgery. I asked them about staging with no luck. Had trouble getting any test results or info from the docs. They went in and took from my rectum to half the transverse colon with open surgery. Got the paths back and there was no cancer then what was in the polyps. My question is, Was there other ways to find out it had not spread? I should feel lucky that the cancer did not spread but having trouble with that since i have had nothing but trouble with the bag. Been more then a month and still cant get one to last more then a day without leaking. Everything happened so fast i feel some steps were missed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
kelly904
(female)

kelly904 HB User
Re: Did I have to go through so much?

It sounds awful. Are you left now with a colostomy bag permanently or will they reattach it after it heals? They may have saved you from future colon cancer with the surgery. Sounds like they were being cautious. I don't think they could tell if the cancer had gone through the colon unless they did take part of the intestine. Hope you are well. Kelly

Old 05-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
PKT
(male)

PKT HB User

I appreciate your story. I am a content 73 year old man with a "benign" colon mass who is being pressured to have major colon surgery. I have additional medical problems, aorta aneurysm, AFIB, bad back etc but I am happy and do not wish to destroy my present quality of life. I am sorry for your situation and hope to avoid it if I can find a straight talking surgeon or oncologist who is not guided by the current protocol of "surgery first."

Old 05-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

I'm so sorry you have to endure that! I would not want to go through your circumstance, either. Any physical impairment of any kind is hard to accept and endure. I know by personal experience.

Yes the bag is a terrible nuisance. The solution to your problems may be as simple as a change to a different type of bag. Please call the doctor's office ASAP and explain the problems you are having with the bag. Never just quietly endure problems like that.

I know people that have to live with the bag for the rest of their lives and they do fine, and lead productive and happy lives. In fact, today I am driving my 74 year old brother to the hospital for surgery for colon cancer. It's no fun for him or us, but we expect a good outcome from it.

Please call your doctor's office right away and get help with the bag issue. Don't suffer silently.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 05-25-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:11 PM   #5
ibswift1
(male)

ibswift1 HB User

Yes the colostomy bag is permanent. Its just a major lifestyle change. My Landlord has one since Dec. and he swears by it. I just Don't quite see it that way.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
ibswift1
(male)

ibswift1 HB User

Thank you for your concern. I did go in today to see the ET nurse and may have most of the problem fixed with a convex ring and a belt. I just have problems seeing anyone associated with that surgeon because I was sent home from the hospital with discharge papers saying why I was hospitalized. Cancer of the colon with rectum, Cancer of Descending colon and cancer of pancreas. It also was on line in my chart and the lucy report. It was almost 2 weeks before i found out I did not have pancreas cancer. Was told it was a "Typo". That was a huge one to hit a person with. That is why I'm questioning everything they did.

The following user gives a hug of support to ibswift1:
YaYagirl (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 03:55 AM   #7
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Oh my, ibswift1!

I'm so sorry you have to endure this! then to have the doctors screw up like that. Unbearable! I sure don't blame you for questioning!

I'm glad you got some problems resolved. It isn't unusual to not see people associated with a surgery. You need an after care team. Can you contact your medical group or insurance and find out how to get that?

I know a lot of times people get left hanging, wondering how to get by. I was sent home from the hospital in a body cast to a caretaker who knew less than I did and I knew nothing at all about it. This really is a weak component of medical care.

PS, sorry, I am not online every day.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 06-07-2017 at 03:56 AM.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:49 AM   #8
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

How are you doing, dear?

Reply Reply

Tags
colon cancer