It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2004, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

lalee HB User
Colonoscopy fears

I was diagnosed with colon cancer 3 years ago. I was lucky that it was removed and I needed no further treatment, as it hadn't spread. Since then I have been going for yearly checks - which amounted to little more than feeling my tummy and asking if I feel ok. This year I asked if I should have a more detailed check and I was sent for a barium examination. The doctor said he saw something which he thinks is probably the stitches from my previous operation, and he would arrange for a CT scan and a colonoscopy as he wouldn't know for sure if it was the stitches or a return of the cancer until they had a look inside.
I'm obviously scared that the cancer has returned but right now I'm really worried about the colonoscopy as I've never had one (not even when I was originally diagnosed). I have just had the appointment confirmed for Tuesday 5th October at 4pm. I am not allowed to eat anything from 2pm on the Sunday until after the procedure (thats going to be a challenge cos I love my food), and I have to take 3 different lots of laxatives during the 2 days before the colonoscopy.I'm so nervous about what is going to happen.I know a lot of you will have been through this and would appreciate any information i.e. Is it painful - are you aware of what's happening etc.

Last edited by lalee; 09-26-2004 at 02:58 PM.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: Colonoscopy fears

Don't be too worried about the colonoscopy. I have not had one but my husband has and it really is no problem. Many people say that the laxative is awful to drink but he did not feel it was too bad. The tablet is just an ordinary one and the suppository is easy to do. So there you are!

You can only have liquids and broths the day before the colonoscopy and nothing on the day. Plan to be at home from the time you start to take the laxative as you will be in the bathroom alot. It is important that the colon is cleaned out completely so you must follow directions to the letter.

The colonoscopy is nothing to be afraid of. You will be given something that will make you quite unaware of the proceedings.

Remember the most important thing is to make sure you are cancer free. This year, after a year of treatment for rectal cancer, my husband had a perfectly clear colonoscopy and that news was worth any minor inconvenience he had in preparing for it. I hope your news will be the same and then you can relax until the next one!! Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
(female)

lalee HB User

Thanks Alison - your absolutely right,its better to have a few days inconvenience and hopefully get a good result.

It's great that your husband got the all clear, nice to hear a bit of good news

Old 09-26-2004, 06:08 PM   #4

TonyP HB User

Don't be worried about the colonoscopy..I have had three in the last 6 months, and they are a peice of cake....Now the prep really sucks, but the procedure if simple and pain free....you'll be amazed how easy it is...good luck

Old 09-26-2004, 07:24 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User

I had surgery 2 months ago, and colon cancer was discovered. I too, had never had a colonoscopy. I finally had one 3 weeks ago. They found 1 polyp which was biopsied and found to be nothing. This was my second prep in 2 month, I had to do it for surgery. The prep was no fun, but the colonoscopy was nothing. They gave me 2 drugs through the iv, but either it was me or the type of drugs they gave me, but I was awake and talking to them through the whole thing. I watched it on the tv, and they showed me where the resection sutures were and also a staple that is still there. The drugs probably relieved anxiety since I was pretty scared going in. It's easy to say, don't be scared, it's not bad, but people had been telling me that for years, and you still go in scared. Best of luck. Keep us informed.

Old 09-26-2004, 08:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I don't remember a single thing about the actual colonoscopy procedure!
I was out from the time they did the IV thing until after I was already out of the room the colonoscopy was done in - I vaguely remember the doctor coming in to tell my husband and me that there were no polyps etc.
No biggie, really!

Old 09-27-2004, 02:17 PM   #7
(female)

lalee HB User

Thanks everyone - I'm still nervous but feel a lot better hearing about your experiences. It would seem the prep is the worst part. I'll let you know how I get on next week.

Old 09-27-2004, 05:57 PM   #8

Abinormal HB User

Lalee, I agree with all that's been said here. The prep is no fun at all, especially if you love food as we do, but the proceedure, itself, is a walk down the hall. Keep us posted.
(((hugs and prayers))))
Abinormal

Old 09-28-2004, 08:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

I have been given drugs that allow me to watch the screen(long pink tunnel) but have also been given drugs that have me right out. I think it depends on the doctor and possibly on what they expect to find.

Old 09-29-2004, 09:16 AM   #10

dianne12315 HB User

Please don't be nervous or scared about having the colonoscopy done. The worst part of the test is the prep. You will not feel anything at all because you will be sedated. The doctor will put air into your colon and when you wake up all you have to do is get rid of the air and then you're fine. I've had many of them done since 1993 when I had precancerous polyps removed. I know it's easy for people to tell you not to be nervous and it's ok if you are but I hope everyone here has reassured you. To all of you on the board who have been diagnosed with colon cancer...I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. I pray everyday that a cure is found for it. Sadly I know first hand what you are all going through. In 1994 I lost my older brother to colon cancer.

Dianne

Closed Thread