It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2004, 08:23 AM   #1

robt2112 HB User
Back Pain? Colon Cancer

I am very worried, that I have something bad. It started a few weeks ago with bloating and some constipation with lower back pains (just above the hip on the back). I went to the gastro and got a CT Scan done. It mentioned that I have Diverticulosis but also said to get a Colonoscopy, which I have scheduled for next week, for what was referred to as "thickening of the colon". I am 35 yrs old with no family hsitory of CC, also no bloody sttols, just some spot blood from hemeroids. My question is there a correlation with lower back pain and colon cancer. I have not read anywhere about that, but I am worried and just want to understand the symptoms.

Thanks,

Robert

Old 10-18-2004, 08:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User
Re: Back Pain? Colon Cancer

back pain was not a factor with me. That's just one case though

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2004, 08:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

mu brother had back pain all the time for the last 4-5 years he just was dianosed with rectal and colon cancer they removed the rectum for a 8 cm mass and the enture colon and prostate was also removed becasue there was ca there too he thought he had ibs

Old 10-19-2004, 03:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

My dad had back pain the summer before he was diagnosed with colon cancer. At the time they said it was shingles.
You're doing the best thing by having that colonoscopy done! Now you can either rule out cancer or start taking care it!!!
Be sure to let us know how things go,

Old 10-20-2004, 02:43 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User

yes, please let us know what the results were Rob!

Old 10-20-2004, 05:53 AM   #6

robt2112 HB User

Thanks for the info. I have the colonoscopy scheuled for Monday. I am very scared of what the resluts are but I'm hoping if they are not good at least I catch any problems early on.

Old 10-20-2004, 04:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wish there was a magic formula for not worrying, but it seems to be part of the dues of having a colonoscopy done.
At least here you're not alone! There are tons of us here who have had one due to cancer or due to cancer in our family.
Do you have any questions about them? The worrying is really the worst part of it!

Old 10-20-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

keep in mind that the colonoscopy results are immediately known you dont have to wait to find out.... and the test is easier than the prep they should give u but make sure you ask for twilight sleep you feel nothing its really a breeze would do that test over a barium enema any day... good luck we will be waiting to hear your results good or bad we are here for you.

Last edited by delrae4753; 10-20-2004 at 06:35 PM. Reason: mis spelled words

Old 10-20-2004, 07:16 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by delrae4753
keep in mind that the colonoscopy results are immediately known you dont have to wait to find out.... and the test is easier than the prep they should give u but make sure you ask for twilight sleep you feel nothing its really a breeze would do that test over a barium enema any day... good luck we will be waiting to hear your results good or bad we are here for you.

What is "twilight sleep?"

Old 10-21-2004, 06:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

its a very light sedation it like what they give you went you go to an oral surgeon and are put asleep to pull a tooth it very light you are just very relaxed and what i did was like a few min cap nap and never knew the procedure was done . its great.... its not heavy sedation like when you have surgery and they put you under with anesthersia its just sedation

Last edited by delrae4753; 10-21-2004 at 06:22 AM. Reason: add more

Old 10-21-2004, 10:04 PM   #11
Veteran

positive4u HB User

Where I come from twilight sleep is produced form a combination shot(hypo) of a pain reliever (meperidine) & a sedative (Versed). They can adjust the dose if you want to watch what's going on (e.g. colonoscopy) & stop the anxiety or make it so you don't remember anything. Turns the procedure from being uncomfortable to hardly memorable.
Positive4U

Old 10-25-2004, 07:22 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, just hoping to hear from you about the results of your colonoscopy;
Will attempt to fall asleep with my fingers crossed...

Old 10-29-2004, 06:28 AM   #13

robt2112 HB User

I had my Colonoscopy the other day, and I'll tell ya it was the easiest procedure I have ever done. Even the prep was not that bad. 10 seconds after they gave me the meds I was out and the next thing I knew was waking up in the recovery room. Unfortunately, I was still out of it when the Dr. spoke, although my wife was there. What she said to me was that the Dr. said I have Diverticulosis in the Simond Colon and eat fiber. That was pretty much it although he did take a biopsy for safe messure although he didn't find a polyp. I kinda wish I taped what he said as my wife could have lost something in the translation. Anyway, I guess I'll wait out the 10 days for the biopsy to come back then see him again about my back issues, although he thinks there is no relation between the two problems. All I know is that my stomach still feels quesy and I still have some back pain. My primary gave me Protonix thinking the stomach problem could aslo be acid reflux issue. I just want to get better....

Thanks for support.

Robert

Last edited by robt2112; 10-29-2004 at 06:30 AM.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:14 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Robert, thanks for letting us know how the colonoscopy turned out!
Isn't it true that it's the "not knowing" that is the worst??
Great idea about the tape recorder by the way, I made my husband carry a pad of paper to take notes but I'm still not too sure about much other than that it was clear of polyps and to come back in 5 yrs!!

Have you hunted down a good list of fiber content in various foods?? It's surprising sometimes that it's not all grain like we tend to think!

Old 11-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #15

escojim HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt2112
I am very worried, that I have something bad. It started a few weeks ago with bloating and some constipation with lower back pains (just above the hip on the back). I went to the gastro and got a CT Scan done. It mentioned that I have Diverticulosis but also said to get a Colonoscopy, which I have scheduled for next week, for what was referred to as "thickening of the colon". I am 35 yrs old with no family hsitory of CC, also no bloody sttols, just some spot blood from hemeroids. My question is there a correlation with lower back pain and colon cancer. I have not read anywhere about that, but I am worried and just want to understand the symptoms.

Thanks,

Robert

Closed Thread