It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 06:32 PM   #1
(female)

sparkesq HB User
Please! Any info. on recovery time after Colostomy Closure/Reversal

Hello. My mom had 17 centimeters of her colon removed (resection). A few months later, she had the "reversal" surgery (where the colostomy hole was closed up) and her intestine was re-connected. I think this is called anastomosis. Anyway, she had a bowel movement fairly quickly after she was sent home from the hospital and we thought she was on her way to recovery, but then she had 4 emergency room visits within a 2 week period due to vomiting and severe cramping. Since then, the doctor took her off all food and she has been in the hospital ever since (even a sip of tea makes her cramp). I'm so distressed and I can't seem to figure out what's going to happen. Has anyone had this experience? The doctor said this is expected in some patients and she will be fine. I guess if there was something wrong, the doctor would tell us. So...., it's been exactly a month (yesterday) since her reversal surgery and she's still not having normal bowel function. Does anyone have any info. about this. Any info. is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User
Re: Please! Any info. on recovery time after Colostomy Closure/Reversal

There can be scar tissue that obstructs the bowel. The docs might be waiting for this to dissapate in the hope that her problems will go as the scar heals. It is a wait and see situation, here's hoping her the best outcome. Worst case, she will need a permanent colostomy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2004, 11:10 PM   #3
(female)

sparkesq HB User

Jaydees: Thank you for your response. Is it common-that scar tissue might be obstructing? If it is, is it most likely that it will dissipate or does the scar tissue mean that she will most likely need to go back to the colostomy. Do you happen to know how long the "wait and see" period is? I'm sorry for the million questions. I just want her to get better-I'm so sad....

Old 12-16-2004, 09:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

There is one person I know of that is waiting still after one year.

My case is different , I have a permanent colostomy. I could feel the scar tissue under the skin at the site of the stoma for a good six months. It did not cause any obstruction in my case and now (4 years later) I feel no scar tissue there. Your friend might have to wait 6 months or longer but things should get better after 10 weeks or so.

No prob about questions , ask away that is why many are on this forum. You are sad because you see a loved one in pain and to top it off you know there is nothing you can do about it. It tears people up inside for sure. Be there and do whatever you can to aid your friend , she will value any assistance you can give.

Closed Thread