It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2002, 04:37 PM   #1

kurta11 HB User
Unhappy Thin stool.. Cancer?

I have had thin stools since Wednesday. Here is the background. ABout a month ago, I started experiencing constipation. My rectum hurt because I could not go to the bathroom. I finally took some laxatives, and after I finally had a BM the pain went away. The first time I went after the constipation I noticed a string of blood on the outside of my stool. It looked like a thin vein.
I started taking metamucil for fiber, and started developing gas and bloating as well as very smooth and stringy stool. My problems seemed to normalize, except for the gas, bloating, and stringy and smooth stool. I assumed that was a result of metamucil so I stopped taking it and lately changed to citrucel. ACtually, I have only been taking citrucel for 2 days and took metamucil for 3 weeks.
I have tested for blood in my stool with a product called EZ detect. Both times all 3 results came up negative. Lately, the problem of thin stools has me worried. They have been that way for 3 days. I have experienced no pain in my stomach or anywhere else, and no blood. Occassionally I do hear rumbling in my stomach if I push on it, kind of like water swishing around.
I am 6 ft, 210 poinds and 27. The catch is I have lost 100 pounds in 6 months on weight watchers, and a LOT of jogging. Also, I have been under stress with my symptoms, as well as outside factors. No family history of polyps or cancer, but I am still worried.
Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2002, 09:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
If you've seen blood once, and you had been experiencing constipation, everything is probably ok. Changing things like adding fiber, then changing the fiber, losing weight, gaining new eating patterns and habits can all contribute to bowel problems.

Continue on with the change in fiber for a month or so and see if everything corrects itself. You may have to mess around with fiber sometimes to see which works best for you. If you continue to see blood, you should see a doctor. It's a very easy test they do that you do at home.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-26-2002, 11:46 PM   #3

kurta11 HB User
Unhappy

I forgot to mention in my previous message that I also suffered from a lot of mucous in my stool, but it is since ended.

Thanks for any infromation

Old 11-04-2002, 04:42 PM   #4
Inactive

plutoren12 HB User
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS!! I saw blood in my stool once after not going for a few days, but never again. My doctor is having me get a F.O.B.T. done, but I haven't done it yet. FINALLY, someone who is experiencing the weird noises when they push on their stomach. I HAVE THAT TOO!! I've been wondering what that is.......I STILL WANT TO KNOW!! I asked my doc and she said it was "normal" but no one else I know can make the noises I make w/ my tummy. Also, what do you mean by smooth, stringy stool? My stool is looser, like its formed and not narrow, but I can tell its not very hard and I've been taking FiberCon to try and bulk it up, but its not working. Sounds like we have the same problem's, let me know if anything changes or if you find anything out, THANKS! I'm only 18 and hope its nothing too serious

Old 12-30-2002, 03:52 PM   #5

Canyonbabe HB User
To CurtA11-I just lost 40 lbs on Weight Watchers and after having occaisional comstipation and gas for many years I know have it all the time so am scheduled for colonoscopy the 8th. Sometimes it feels like a grap is being sucked through a straw on my right side. I used to get it over a period of years maybe a couple times a year. Had sigmoidoscopy in 1986 and it showed nothing. Since Oct. it has been more frequent. My stools are usually thin also. No blood, though. I am scared to death since I am 66 and very much alone.I know I was not getting enough fiber while on diet and am wondering if my colon has become smaller in diameter. Yes, Metamucil is gassy but can't use that citrus stuff because of acid reflux and Benecol really cramps me up. Just was curious about the WW similairity.

Old 01-12-2003, 03:08 PM   #6

Soleil11 HB User
I am concerned about your statements. I had the thin stools,blood streaking down on outside and a pain on left side of abdomen. Finally, went and scheduled a sigmoid. Found large, agressive growth, went thru other procedures, inc. a colonoscopy, biopsy, ultrasound after the sigmoid findings. I had colorectal cancer,an aggressive growing one. Please... get to dr. and ask for a sigmoid because of symptoms. Mine was caught early enough and I only had to have surgery. I am one of the fortunate people and I am very grateful. Hope this helps .

Old 01-12-2003, 05:04 PM   #7
Inactive

ashpie HB User
how thin were your stools? mine were thin but since starting the metamucil they are normal now..what other symptoms did you have and how long did you have the symptoms before you went to the doctor? how old are you?

Old 01-14-2003, 11:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
I also had thin stools. no blood. didnt think much of it . never had a problem. my sister was diagnosed with colon cancer. I went and had a colonoscopy and had so many polops they had to remove half of my colon. they said I would have had full fledged cancer within a year. again, I had no problems except noticed thin stools all of a sudden. this is nothing to mess with. go and get checked. it only is a bit uncomfortable but can save your life.

Old 01-22-2003, 06:29 PM   #9

Kurta75 HB User
Sue and Soleil, thanks for the advice, but I have been taking Metamucil for the past 2 1/2 weeks and no longer have thin stools or any other symptoms and realize I was worrying for no reason. Just out of curiousity, how thin were your stools and were they like that every bowel movement? And if I may be so rude as to ask your ages. I have read that something like 85% of people under 30 whom develop cancer has it run in their family which I do not, and I am only 27.

[This message has been edited by Kurta75 (edited 01-22-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Kurta75 (edited 01-22-2003).]

Closed Thread