It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2002, 05:33 PM   #1

nikkatch HB User
Unhappy colonoscopy- how much??? no insurance!!!

could someone give me an idea how much colonoscopy would cost? i dont have health insurance. help!

Old 12-19-2002, 04:39 PM   #2

khorne HB User
I would think somewhere around 2,000.00. I had one in October that was covered by insurance so I don't know for sure. But then I had a flex sig done a week later that wasn't covered & that was almost 1,000.00. It could be well worth the price depending on your problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2002, 01:22 PM   #3
(female)

Sister HB UserSister HB User
A hospital told me $1700. But someone I know had one and he said it was less than $1000. My insurance won't pay for it because I don't have blood in the stool or family history, even tho I'm 55! I wish someone would change that rule.

Old 12-29-2002, 07:52 PM   #4
Inactive

1Dove HB User
Sister, Tell them you have blood in your stool. The guidelines are that you should have your first colonoscopy by age 50, earlier for those with a family history. Don't feel guilty about lying, your insurance company is trying to cheat you.

Old 12-30-2002, 11:41 PM   #5

Canyonbabe HB User
Talking

I'll bet you could negotiate a price. I am on Medicare and when I see how little they actually pay the Dr. I am shocked. Just had an upper endoscopy. The Drs. charge was $700 and Medicare allowed $165. The facility, nurse, etc. was $2500 billed(excessive, I admit)Medicare alloewed $550. Biopsy billed $117, Medicare allowed $12.00. I am having a colonoscopy on the 8th and it will be awhile before I see what Medicare pays but I can let you know and maybe you can use that as leverage. Probably will take a few weeks for billing.

Old 01-02-2003, 05:16 AM   #6
(female)

veree HB User
Whatever the cost, DO IT!!! Make payments if you have to. Husband had it done in Oct and they found a tumor the size of a golf ball and 2 weeks later he was operated on. If he would have waited any longer it could have turned out to be worse.As it turned out it hadn't spread and he's doing great!!This is your life we're talking about.

Old 01-03-2003, 08:32 PM   #7

lawman1457 HB User
I have a related question. It was mentioned that the only way to get approval for the colonscopy is if there is blood in your stool. How reliable are the over the counter tests for blood in the stool? Also, if one was so inclined could they find blood in their own stool if they checked?

Old 01-03-2003, 08:34 PM   #8

lawman1457 HB User
I have a related question. It was mentioned that the only way to get approval for the colonscopy is if there is blood in your stool. How reliable are the over the counter tests for blood in the stool? Also, if one was so inclined could they find blood in their own stool if they checked?

Old 01-03-2003, 10:53 PM   #9

Canyonbabe HB User
The over the counter test has been approved by the FDA or your Dr. can give you a packet of a different kind to test at home and then you send it in. Guess it depends on insurance but I never heard that blood was the only reason they would approve as you can have problems without blood. Have you asked your Dr. for a at home kit called FOTB? Unless there is a lot you will probably not see it on your own. I would not depend on that. Try the home test for about $8 or call Dr.

Old 01-03-2003, 11:24 PM   #10

lawman1457 HB User
Thanks Canyonbabe for the response. I have tried the over the counter test 6 seperate times, and they have all come up negative. I have had a change in bowel habits and decided to see if there was any blood in my stool. Just trying to decide if those tests were enough to give me a piece of mind, or if I should pay for the colonscopy on my own.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by lawman1457 (edited 01-04-2003).]

Old 01-04-2003, 12:58 PM   #11
Inactive

1Dove HB User
Yes, I was having a problem too, and thought my stool looked kind of off color, but I couldn't tell if it was blood or not. I used one of those at home kits (which I always keep on hand), and it came up positive. Every other time I used it, it came out negative. I do think they are pretty accurate. And, by the way, the kind I use doesn't need to be sent in, but you need to report any positive results to your doctor.

Old 01-05-2003, 04:54 PM   #12

lawman1457 HB User
Thanks for the post 1dove. I have used those tests many times and they have all come up negative. I used one called EZ detect. I guess my only concern is that something like Colon Cancer can bleed on and off, but I guess the fact that I have never had a positive result gives me hope.

Old 01-07-2003, 02:43 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
I think insurance companies are now obligated to allow people, who are 50, to have there first colonoscopy, whether they have symptoms or not, just like a woman's first mammogram, when she turns 40. After that, I think your covered for another test every 5, 7, or 10 years, as a general screening procedure. I'd check with your state's dept. of health, to make sure your insurance company is on the "up and up."

Old 01-08-2003, 09:38 PM   #14

Canyonbabe HB User
If I showed blood or had any other symptons that could be idicative of colon cancer I would probably get it done even if I had to pay for it. Especially if there was blood and hemroids were ruled out. It might pay to see a gastroenterologist and explain the situation. They can do a rectal and test for blood and listen to bowel sounds, etc. I had mine today and I don't want to do it again soon cause they would not sedate due to emphysema so I had some pretty bad pain. All was well though so it was worth it, now that I look back but not at the time of the pain.

Old 09-20-2003, 04:23 PM   #15

windchaser1 HB User
I heard you don't have to worry about colon cancer for at least the next 5 years if the doctor found nothing in a colonoscopy. Is it true?

I had a negative colonoscopy done 2 years ago and lately I am having darker (dark brown but not exactly black) than normal stool. Should I think about going for a colonoscopy again?

[This message has been edited by windchaser1 (edited 09-20-2003).]

Closed Thread