It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
(male)

saarust HB User
please tell me how much is there pain for colorectal surgery?

Hi there,
My name is sam, I think this boards is terrific thing, anyway I was diagnosed with rectal surgery Im 52 years old male. just finished radiation and chemo therapy. All my doctors advise me to do surgery. my surgeon think I will not need colostomy.

could anybody please tell me is the surgery painfull and is it unconfortable afterwards and how long is recovery time ?.

My concern is, will the cancer come back after operation? I guess Im too nervous about all of this and I want to leave it until last resort. Since I was diagnosed, the pain in around rectum was toleralable and when Itook codine3
it helps make it go away; Although now six month later even with this codine
the pain is not going away, Is this from the rectal cancer or is it something else? I appreciate all the feedback and replies.

I wish everyone out there the best of health.

Many thanks, Sam

Old 03-24-2005, 05:48 AM   #2
(female)

tigerfish HB User
Re: please tell me how much is there pain for colorectal surgery?

Sam:
I am sorry to hear that you have rectal cancer. My dad is 63 and he was diagnosed with Stage III rectal cancer last Oct. So I know what you are going through, we are still going through it.
Ok, my dad first had the 6 weeks of radiation and chemo treatment. Then he rested for 3 weeks, when he was doing follow-up test, CT and other tests, there are no visible sign of cancer tumor anymore, but still b/c my dad's lymph around the tumor was affected before the treatment. Dr think it is wise to cut all the affected rectal area out and remove all the possible lymph. So he had his surgery March 1 of this year. The surgery went well. The surgery was 2 1/2 hrs. He felt good after the surgery. He felt almost no pain while he was in the hospital, he was there for 3 days (a very quick recovery). I assume your dr will also do a ileostomy (tempoary pouch and path to hold all your stool while your rectal surgery area is going through healing). He just started to feel some pain (not much) starting 19th. We went to see dr yesterday for follow-up and all are normal reaction.
My dad will go through 16 weeks of chemo (but it is once a week instead of 24 X 7 like before, he was wearing a pickline before), he will start this Friday. SO the surgery of reversing ileostomy will take place sometimes in July or early Aug (b/c the healing of the surgery will take longer since we went through radiation). The second surgery will only take 20 mins.
Please do not be scared. You will know if you still have cancer after the surgery, b/c a pathologist will take what is cutting off and do research to see if there are any. My dad was cancer free.
Keep the faith, you will be fine.

Daisy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
(male)

PCTECH01 HB User

Sam,

I'm sorry to read about your problem and will keep you in my prayers. In answer to your questions, each of our stories is different. My BIL is 56 and was diagnosed last September with rectal cancer close to the anus. It took him nearly 6 six weeks to be examined by his doctors at MSKCC before they were ready to commence chemo/radiation treatment. Afterwards, he rested for nearly 6 weeks again and was examined. Unfortunately, his doctor advised him there was a high probability that he would have to undergo a permanent colostomy and surgery was performed on March 2nd. It is my understanding from reading these boards, that the doctor wishes to remove dead tissue because it is unhealthy for you to retain it, as well as the surgery provides him with an opportunity to more accurately stage your cancer.

The surgery itself lasted over 11 hours because the tumer had grown out through the retum and was growing around the prostate. The tissue biopsies indicated the chemo/rad had killed all the cancer cells and none of the lymph nodes had been infected. The bad news is, and I guess it is dependent upon your body mass size, is the amount of anestisia your absorb, is that it will keep you knocked out for several days. In addition, you are generally given a morphine pump switch in order to self medicate yourself. In all, he spent 11 days in intensive care, after which time his breathing tube was removed from his throat. Thereupon, he spent the next week in a private room still trying to recover and get up and out of bed, but to no avail. It was his opinion nursing care was inadequate, the doctor agreed, and last Saturday, he checked himself out of the hospital and had himself transported via ambulance to an out-of-state hospital that prides itself on the quality of its nursing care ( I never knew JD Power rated hospitals-- I thought they just looked at cars!). As of Wednesday, he still remains confined to bed but is now performing leg movement thereapy. We are told to expect more hospital time to be followed up with additional rehab time before he returns home.

Peace

Old 03-26-2005, 10:05 AM   #4
(female)

West Coast Girl HB User

I've had 2 surgeries for rectal cancer as well. The first surgery was a resection to remove the cancer and a temporary ileostomy to allow the resection to heal. My rectum was also removed. I had very little pain other than some discomfort around the incision and was home in 6 days with no need for further pain medication. Unfortunately my colon had trouble healing so my surgeon couldn't do the reversal. Six months later he changed the ileo to a permanent colostomy. Again there was very little pain and I was out to a Christmas luncheon 10 days after surgery. I think the most uncomfortable part is if the surgeon removes the anus as well as the rectum. I've heard stories of people not being able to sit comfortably for many months and sometimes even years. I was able to talk my surgeon out of removing my anus as it does seem to be what they like to do when there's no chance of reversal. But everyone reacts differently to surgery and you will be given options as how you want to control your pain.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:25 PM   #5
(male)

saarust HB User

Thanks for reply,
Im so glad that you are doing fine now. Hope I will be as well after I undergo the surgery, cause the pain around the tail bone is not going away after six months now I thought the the radiation and chemotherapy will make it better.

But I guess there is no way out of pain except taking surgery. Im taking tylanolcodine3 for pain but now is not even helping somethimes releving the pain. Hopefully the surgeon can do without permemant colostomy for me.
I will leave all in the hands of god.

Sincerely, Sam

Old 03-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

I had my rectum removed as well as my anus and I am sewed up in back. I was in hospital 10 days. Pain after surgery was managed well by the morphine, mostly I simply felt uncomforatble though some movements were worse than others. In addition there is the psychological effects and wanting to avoid certain movements that would affect the fresh sutures. The most painful thing in the hospital stay was the urinary catheter IMHO, I HATE those evil things, ouch.

After going home the incision took about another ten days to heal over really well and my appetite returned. I was tired a lot though and could manage no more than a 100 foot walk about the neighbourhood for a long time.

Pain from the dissolving sutures in my butt was alleviated by a local surgeon who removed the last pieces that were causeing the pain and sitting was much better after that.

Due to having some muscle alsoi removed from my rear end I find sitting on hard surfaces painful after a short time. I simply cannot sit cross-legged on a hard floor anymore since that puts my entire weight right on bone. At 49 yrs old though I don't usually need to worry about that. hee hee

Old 03-27-2005, 03:25 PM   #7
(male)

saarust HB User

Hi,

Im very glad to here you are doing well now. Hoever Im curious if there is any pain after surgery healed? and do you have to take any pain medication
even after your wounds healed after the ten days period at home? And are you taking any chemotherapy afterwards?.

Sorry if Im getting a little personal, it will help me brace for what is coming my way.

Thanks,

sam

Closed Thread