It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 08:49 AM   #1

pgta5 HB User
Question Fatty liver due to Chemo?

I just spoke with my father. He had his 3 month post-chemo check-up. Everything is "normal" but his doctor said that his liver is fatty? She told him it is probably due to the chemo. She is going to order an ultra sound to make sure everything is ok. This happened 3 month ago as well. Results came back normal.

I was hoping that someone would respond with knowledge or experience on the subject.

Thanks in advance!

~P

Old 03-31-2005, 11:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User
Re: Fatty liver due to Chemo?

Great news about having a "normal dad" . My DH has ultrasounds on his liver which have all come back ok too. I have heard of fatty livers but not due to chemo and DH liver surgeon has never mentioned it. I will try and remember to ask him next time.

good luck
ktee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Hi P:
I have not heard of chemo causing a fatty liver. I have seen large livers with lots of fat deposits, just have never heard of it being caused by chemo. I wouldn't worry though... if the oncologist says this, they know the side effects from these drugs. Could be that the chemo is so harsh in the rest of the body, it knocks fatty deposits, which naturally end up in the liver.

In any event, glad to hear things are going well.

Warm Regards,
CancerDad

Old 04-01-2005, 08:12 AM   #4

pgta5 HB User

KTEE, Cancerdad thank you so much for responding.
Do you know the specific indicators that blood work would show if there was something growing in the liver?, ie which enzymes would be elevated?

I was researching a bit and saw that elevated tricycerides can be a cause..his cholesterol came back 230...It's all of that high calorie food during chemo! Trying to keep weight on. Has to make the dietary shift. Also, he takes high blood pressure medication (nurse mom said this may also cause enzymes to tweak!) and he did experience hepetitis years ago. It's wierd that he would start showing up during the chemo though!

Dad's doctor was supposedly very positive. Dad told me that doctor believes he has beat this thing. She told him that he is one of the most positive patients she has ever seen. He was a happy but reserved. Will feel better after clean ultra sound report! This every 3 month thing is very difficult!

On a side note we are planning to visit in June. My son is so excited to see grandpa! I hope to find him well and spend a happy and healthy holiday together!

Bless you all!
~P

Old 04-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Hey P:
They are looking for elevated liver enzymes-- not cholesterol counts. Elevated counts would indicate a possible problem with the liver. AST or SGOT and alanine ALT or SGPT. A damaged liver spills these enzymes into the blood hence raising the enzyme levels indicating a possible problem with the liver, and further investigation.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
CancerDad

Closed Thread