It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

One-Cent L HB User
Fluid In Plevic Area?

Does anyone know what this could mean? I went to my first visit to my GI today. I have the colonoscopy and the "down the throat one" on Friday. My question is this: He said that there was an "abonormality" in my CT scan and it was that I had an abnormal amount of fluid in my "pelvic region". Has anyone ever heard of this? And if so, what could that mean?

Thanks a million.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Re: Fluid In Plevic Area?

Penny:

An abnormal amount of what kind of fluid, interstitial fluid-- we all have varying amounts? Had you been having pain in your lower abdomen. If they saw, and I don't know how they did without xray or exploratory lap, that you have excess fluid in your pelvis, maybe they are concerned you had a cyst that ruptured? Are your blood counts good... white blood cell count? But then why an Endoscopy??? Sorry but I NEED more info to assess.

Thanks.
CancerDad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
(female)

One-Cent L HB User

Thanks, CancerDad....Yes...I had many other problems that I am waiting to find answers to. I have posted several times concerns I'm having and I do respect your wisdom in all the areas I see your answers...You're "the man"...(I just told my mom that...heehee).

Okay...It all started over a year ago. I was very active...bicylcist, runner...etc. Very in shape. A year later I can hardly walk up my stairs w/o a rest.

A year ago I was a way on a trip and got very sick. Thought I'd die all by myself it Wheaton IL! Anyway, I came hope to our little town and was checked out by our "local" doctors (not a real wise thing to do) and had a CT scan showing problems w/ my esophogus and a spot on my liver. I was told not to worrry about the spot--it was small. I had this same GI show up to do the test where the scope was put down me. I had an ulcerated esoph. and it was stretched out. (I had been waking up at night AFTER I threw up...ick). And then my family doctor had an exray ran to discover that I had pneumonia. I sure didn't feel like I could have that, but who knows? So he decided that was my problem all along.

Then my pains started in Feb. I thought it was "female" problems. I had the beginning stages of cer. cancer 8 years ago and my cervix and uterus were removed. So I went to my gyno. and told him to tell me I didn't have cancer and I'd buck up and accept that I was a 42 year old mother of 4 young kids and I was just tired!!!!

Symptoms: Stool changes (thin or flat, or diarrhea, bright red blood, but only once really bad). Fatigue, horrible lower back pain on the left side. Pain down the back of my left leg almost all time. Aching down both legs just below the groin area...like very sore muscle-kind-of ache. Constant dull pain in my rectal area (really low, low down and to the left). Also I have sharp pains often on both my left and right sides (lower abdominal).

This doctor I went to see today is the best in the area. He seemed to think that I never had pnuemonia. I don't know how he would come to that conclusion.

There Dr. CancerDad...I am sure I gave you more than you ever needed to know...so...what do ya think?

Sorry for the "novel".

I am not freaking out. I am a very calm, patient person who knows that no matter what happens is God's perfect plan. I just want to know what is going on so I can focus and move on...in whatever direction I need to. I am so busy and have so many plans going on right now that I need to have an idea of what kind of a time frame I'm looking at as far as the return of good heath! I know I'll be fine no matter what.

BTW you are an inspiration to all who are on this board. Your attitude and outlook are a blessing to us all.

Penny

Old 04-23-2005, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Penny:

I have a lot of thoughts about you... but sorry, have to run (hobble!!!) for now... I will be on boards later tonight.
Thx.
CancerDad

Old 04-23-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Ok.
I'm sure your GI biopsied your esophagus to rule out Barret's esophagus...or cancer of the esophagus.. Sounds like you have had SERIOUS REFLUX. Has he addressed this problem? With acid reducers, etc? Vomiting at night too, consistent with Severe Reflux. I doubt you had pneumonia too, probably the ulcerated esophag... maybe bleeding, of course cough...etc.

As far as the shortness of breath goes ... That concerns me. Describe it a little more... is it heart palpatations, or wheezing. I was like this about a year prior to my dx. of Rectal Ca. It was like I was sweating and I attributed it to just being out of shape!

Spot on your liver CAN be perfectly normal. Either the CT Scan is messed up (shadow), or you have a fatty liver (again normal). Did they repeat or suggest you have a PET scan.. THIS IS WHAT I WOULD PUSH FOR BEING A CANCER SURVIVOR... are you getting regular follow up for your post gyn ca?

I don't like the stool changes either, or definitely the blood (rectal ca has intermittent bleeding as symptom). Brighter blood means closer to distal (anus) end. DEFINITELY requires a colonoscopy to rule things out. It would also be plausible for the esophageal bleeding to run through... usu darker blood though. Flat stool COULD be because of your previous gyn surgeries... LOTS of Scar tissue develops. Or polyps. You are 50 and regardless of family history NEED A COLONOSCOPY. Which you are getting... No sweat! Just Prep is a pain, use hemmorhoid cream to prevent chafing.

How was the Hyst performed... lap or open, or lap vag assist? This can really cause much scarring, as well as increased fluid in the culdesac (pelvic cavity). (often times these days, depending where you had the surgery, they were trialing this "goop" stuff that they would leave in the abdominal/pelvic cavities post procedure to try and prevent adhesions.-- turned out to be a bust, and caused more problems than good with adhesions, etc). But adhesions and scar tissue can DEFINITELY cause pain like you describe. (Even the eight years later) If you did anything aggressive to pull anything, etc. Believe me, you get referral pain for many different reasons, nerve regrowth, etc. At 50, you may be developing back problems too, causing you to have pain down the legs... sounds like you have some pinched nerves for sure!!!

I think you have a GREAT attitude NOT to just freak out and jump to the conclusion that the cancer is back. You definitely need follow up for that spot on your liver PET or MRI or both, a colonoscopy, and blood work. Inflammation causes fluid to accumulate as well... talk with your MD's. Blood work (ESR Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) test will reveal if you have any inflammation and complete blood work.

Hope this helps. Let me know how things work out. And, thanks for the kind words. However I can help from my experiences makes me feel good. So, I'm glad other posts have helped you... hopefully this will too!!

Warm Regards,
CancerDad

Old 04-23-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
(female)

Bella916 HB User

i think cdad should get his own chat room and message board AND hot line! you are THE best!

Old 04-23-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
(female)

One-Cent L HB User

No Kidding...CD, if you aren't some kind of a medical professional already, then we will all get together somehow and create a medical certificate of some kind for you...hmmm...what will your degree be in????

Okay now, don't add years to my life. I'm 42 years young.

And I did NOT have a vaginal hysterectomy, so who knows? That cul-de-sac thing sounds like a winner to me if I can pick and choose my diagnosis.

Ya wanna know what is bothering me the most tonight as far as annoying symptoms (besides the horrible dull aching in my lower left back and the fact that I have to go back up the stairs in a moment)? My arms are so, so heavy...I wonder if I am wearing someone elses arms? Really big ones.

Good night everyone.
God bless.

Old 04-23-2005, 09:11 PM   #8
(female)

Bella916 HB User

i get heaviness in my legs sometimes, have told my gp he just chalks it up to panic and anxiety, so i pop an ativan and it goes away, (only because i fall asleep) ... have a good evening penny...

Old 04-23-2005, 10:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

This is why you should definitely have some blood work done. Sorry about adding to your age. I was lying here watching Saturday Night Live and thought I said you were 50. My sincerest apologies. I saw you were 42 and ADDED 8 years for the surgery!!! Duh! Cancer/Narc Brain. Wonder how long I can get away using that line?

GOOD NIGHT ALL,
Pleasant Dreams,
CancerDad

Old 04-23-2005, 11:26 PM   #10
(female)

One-Cent L HB User

Thanks to my little boy's grinding teeth, I'm up again.

I do appreciate the input...once again. Thanks.

I did want to tell you that the dr. did order five different types of bloodwork. That SED rate was one of them. I cannot remember right now what the other four were. I wrote them down. Anyway, I guess I'll find all of that out on Friday. My test is scheduled for 1:00. I'll be sure to let you know.

Until then, peace, joy, and lots of love to you all!

Penny

Old 11-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #11
(female)

vonwolf HB User

hi, i have been using laxatives for a year and a half , since i had hemmorid surgery. I have alot of mucus and a little blood in my stools, then a light color of liquid will come out, and then a very hard turd. sorry. i went for a ct scan of the pelvic area and the adomen. a nurse called and said there was some fluid in the pelvic area and that she would have the doctor look at the results and get back with me. im 44 years old and weigh only 82 pounds my bones stick out everwhere. when i get up to walk my heart rate will go up to 130 beats a minute. i have gone to a rectal surgern and she told me and my husband that my colon no longer works. she refuses to remove it and put a bag on me, she told us i would die on the table. i told her i would take my chances, the laxatives are killing me just as quick. any suggestions.

elizabeth

Old 11-17-2006, 06:54 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User

Elizabeth...

It sounds like you really need to get in to a doctor and take their advice, whatever that may be. Is 82 pounds your normal weight? Do you take laxatives for your bowels or as an eating disorder? Forgive the presumption, but your weight seems dangerously low. If I were you, I would get some help from your doctor. You may need to get your body nourished before they could even do a colonoscopy.

I hope that you can get some help. Blood in your stool is not normal and needs to be figured out. Please take charge of your health and get under a doctor's care!

Good luck and take care of you!
Cats

Closed Thread