It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User
Diverticulitis Symptoms vs. Colon Cancer Symptoms??

Is anyone familiar with Diverticulitis? Below is what I know about this disease because my mom has supposidly suffered from this disease for many many years. This disease causes "pockets" to form along your intestine. These pockets become inflammed when certain types of foods get "stuck" inside of them. When this happens an infection occurs. You can have the runs, along with mucous and blood. You get pain on the lower left side along with fever, etc. In worst cases, these pockets can even abscess and burst (which is poisionous) then surgery is needed immediately. Sometimes this disease can be controlled with antibiotics and sometimes not. Once it advances and the infection can no longer be controlled with antibiotics or an IV, surgery is usually suggested. 10 years ago my mom ended up with surgery to remove a portion of her large intestine (the diseased part) (no colostomy). Even after the surgery, she has experienced the same symptoms as before but I don't think the attacks were or are as bad. She said she feels it more when she lays down in bed at night. Just last week she ended up at the GI and he found "inflammation". She is on meds. for 10 days at which time he will see her again and then they will schedule a colonoscopy.

I am so worried at this point.............he did a rectal exam last week as well.

I so scared that it may be colon cancer? She has had this disease for many years but I am worried that it is now colon cancer?

Thank you for any help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User
Re: Diverticulitis Symptoms vs. Colon Cancer Symptoms??

Well the symtoms of most problems with the colon are the same. There are only so many symptoms that are possible, ie. diarreha and/or constipation, abdominal pain, blood in the stool. So yes it could be colon cancer but only a look see via the colonoscopy will be able to rule it out. However, given you Mom's history of course the culprit is still more likely to be related directly to the diverticulitus

Old 05-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

Thank you very much. I am just so nervous and she really hasn't kept up with going for her colonoscopys over the years so I guess it is just fear of the unknown. She isn't bleeding (so she tells me) and I don't think the attacks are what they used to be (diarehea, blood, mucous and bad pain) however, it is still a prloblem and I am worried.

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

It isn't bad to be worried but try not to get too far ahead of what is known or unknown so as not to drive yourself crazy. All you can do is carefully urge her to keep those appointments and wait on the results.

Closed Thread