It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 12:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
Hurting after pelvic and internal radiation...

Since my internal and external radiation, my pelvic area and colon have never been the same. My urethra burns, and because of the treatment, I went into menopause 25 years too early. I just have lots of burning, dryness, inflamation and tenderness. It's been 3 years, but my doctor said it can take that long to see what damage is created from the radiation. During my internal radiation, they inserted a rod into my rectum and "Zapped" me, over a 2 month period. I felt like I was abducted by aliens. I see my doctors regularly. I'm on HRT and fosomax, to protect my bones, and Elmiron, to help the urethritis. The rectal pain subsides if I can stay regular. At times though, I'm in a state of dispair, because of the pain. Has anyone else out there gone through similar symptoms, after their radiation? How do you cope? Now, I'm nervous, because my gyno. said that pelvic radiation can cause uterine cancer. My mom just died of cervical cancer too, but I don't think I could handle a hysterectomy right now. Guess I should now check out that part of the board too. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by wmkcolors; 05-18-2005 at 06:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 03:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User
Re: Hurting after pelvic radiation...

wmk

sorry to hear you are sounding so low. cancer seems to bring one problem after another but i think you should read your post again and then sit back and pat yourself on the back for having done so well so far.

I cant answer your questions regarding the radiation so hopefully those with experience can help you out.

regarding your fears about uterine cancer....... is there any form of screening that they can do for you to allay your fears. I know hysterectomy sounds like such an ordeal but being 3 weeks into recovery from mine (total abdominal), it was not as bad as I had feared but I guess rough enough. There are some less invasive procedures however that may be suitable for you if it ever had to happen. (laparoscipally or lap assisted vaginal).

Bearing in mind that you are in menopause, have you checked to see if your hrt needs altering. For some women it can take a while to get the right type and dosage. If its not doing the right thing for your body it can make you feel really lousy.

hope the above helps
ktee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 03:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
Re: Hurting after pelvic and internal radiation...

I've adjusted my HRT dosage 3 times. Because of the risk of breast cancer and the recent studies that have come out, my gyno. now thinks I should be on the low dose patch. Mostly, the radiation has affected my urethra and the glands surrounding it. My rectal area can ache alot, from where they "zapped" me inside. I think sex would be incredibly painful now. I have been visiting the menopause sight, to check out the posts there. I was hoping to find a person, who has had colorectal cancer and was treated with pelvic and internal radiation, to see how he or she is doing. As I was recovering from colorectal cancer, my mom was diagnosed with cancer and recently died. Geez, this post could go under Colon cancer, Menopause, or Grief and Loss. Sorry board.

Old 05-18-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Mazrose HB User
Re: Hurting after pelvic radiation...

Im sorry to hear all your news and feel for you. You are dealing with a lot right now.
Is maybe anti depressants a option for you?

In my prayers.
Maz

Old 05-22-2005, 11:46 AM   #5
Veteran

Lia813 HB User
Re: Hurting after pelvic and internal radiation...

Wkcolors, I am so sorry to read of what you are going thru. I cannot tell you anything about problems after rads to pelvis ,I have not had them . I have had rads to the chest and neck for esophageal cancer and that swelled my throat completely shut though I could not swallow more than water anyway do to the cancerous esophagus. I was on a feeding tube. That radical surgery is now over but I am far from recovered and have lost much weight that I could not afford to lose. I also have colon cancer and have had a portion of my sigmoid colon removed. I am now in chemo for that but no rads. I had chemo and rads both for the esophagus. Of all things these were 2 primary cancers , at the same time, no mets but it has spread to the lymph nodes . I just wanted to tell you that you are in my thoughts and I hope we all get better somehow. All this has truly been my worst nightmare. Lia

Closed Thread