It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
(female)

geotine HB User
Question chemo for stage III colon cancer

My 76 year old diabetic mom just had a right hemicolectomy. The pathology showed 2 lymphnodes positive. what should I expect next? Surgeon says we need an oncologist for adjuvant therapy of 5FU and levocourin (not sure of spelling) Has anyone been through this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 01:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Re: chemo for stage III colon cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotine
My 76 year old diabetic mom just had a right hemicolectomy. The pathology showed 2 lymphnodes positive. what should I expect next? Surgeon says we need an oncologist for adjuvant therapy of 5FU and levocourin (not sure of spelling) Has anyone been through this?
Hi Geotine:
Everyone has been thru this who has CC Cancer with possible mets. 5FU and Leucovorin are standard protocol chemo agents... well the 5 FU is... the Leucovorin is actually a vit they use to intensify the activity of 5FU. They have been around forever for treating colorectal cancer, and as far as chemo agents go, they really are quite mild. Research the drugs. Get pamphlets on adjuvant chemo. It will help you understand the GI side effects a lot. Also, it's the call of the onc. whether he/she thinks your mom would benefit from an additional drug to the "cocktail." Ask about side effects of any other drugs though, and how they think your Mom at 76 will fare on the additional drugs.

Best of Luck to you and especially your MOM. Welcome to the boards, and please stay in touch with any questions.

Regards,
CancerDad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 06:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

I think in the US that something extra is usually added to the cocktail, as CancerDad says but here in the Bahamas, in Canada, maybe Australia and the UK, for the most part, 5Fu and Leukovorin are used for Stage 111 colorectal cancer, keeping the more potent meds for Stage 1V. So it may depend on where you live. My husband had 5Fu for Stage 111c and so far, so good!

Old 06-21-2005, 09:00 AM   #4

pgta5 HB User

My father was dx'd stage IIIc in May of last year. He was almost 66 at the time. He received 12 doses of Oxalilplatin/5FU/Leucovorin.

Although the choice of chemo "cocktails" can be very personal I would encourage you to read statistics regarding each treatment and its 5 year survival outcomes. In the US the above is a very standard regiment! There has been great advancement in colon cancer treatments and outcomes even in the past year.

Take care
~P

Old 06-21-2005, 07:20 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User

I just finished chemo mid May and had the combination PGTA listed. Your father's oncologist will tell you what drugs they will use. The 5FU I had was administered through a pump that I wore on by belt. It was a 2 day treatment-day one you get a dose of the 5FU through the pump, day 2 you come back for the next dose of 5FU, and then you come back the 3rd day to have the pump disconnected. The chemo nurses told me that with some cancer treatments the 5FU is given longer than the 2 day intervals. The major side effects I had were fatigue and loss of appetite. Good luck to your father and you. Keep us informed about what is happening. There are enough people on this board who have been through this that someone can normally answer your questions.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:29 AM   #6
(male)

Pasha_nj HB User

I am going to start on something exactly as edinaman next Tuesday. First, I will have two hours of infusion of
Oxalilplatin/Leucovorin coctail, then they will send me home with a bag of 5fu to last for two days. This is to occur every two weeks for the comming four months. I was wondering if other than fatigue and loss of appetite, are there any other helpful tips that may come handy!

Old 06-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User

They may tell you to avoid crowds while on chemo. Your blood counts can drop and then it is easier to pick up something. They will check your blood counts before each chemo. If your red cells, white cells or platelets are too low, they will postpone chemo. They can give you shots for the red or white cells to build them up quicker. They told me that each time you have chemo, your bone marrow takes longer to respond. I found that I probably had 3 or 4 treatments out of 12 postponed. Also, you may notice that your hair will thin, but you normally won't lose it all like some of the other chemos. Expect to lose some of your sense of taste during chemo-some foods you normally like may taste funny or may have no taste. I found that I ate much more fresh fruit-I think my body craved it. You usually get a heightened sense of smell. Some food smells may make you nauseous-my oncologists office had a sign up about not wearing cologne or perfume to the office because of the sense of smell. Take care of your self-if you are tired rest, if you feel good, try to go about your normal activities. If you find you aren't eating, try the fortified breakfast drinks. Fortunately, you don't usually lose your sense of taste for sweets! Oxal will make you sensitive to cold-avoid iced drinks and even refrigerated drinks. There is nothing like heating the orange juice in the microwave. These effects go away after chemo ends. My appetite has come back with a vengence, especially for ice cream.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Mazrose HB User

Ok Im in Oz (Australia) and dig. stage 11 but with a perforation as well.. Im on 5fu/fa.. so I guess its what the onocolgist thinks is best for the patient/stage etc..
Goodluck
Maz

Old 06-24-2005, 12:20 PM   #9
(male)

Pasha_nj HB User

Many thanks to edinaman for that detailed description, really appreciate it.

Closed Thread