It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2005, 07:57 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User
Black tarry stool?

When the drs say black tarry stool do they mean loose or can it be formed? Also is it literally black or can it be a dark greenishish, black in color? Mine actually smells like blood too. It is time for my 5 yr colonoscopy, I just need time to schedule it. The last one they found the tubular adenoma polyps, the dr said they were precancerous and it was good that I came in when I did. I am 44 as of 2 weeks ago.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Re: Black tarry stool?

Hi:
Black, tarry stool indicates stool that is sticky, and black. It can be formed , or in diarrhea form. The important thing is it got the blackish color from higher up in the GI tract where it mixed with blood. Lower down is where it is determined if it is loose or not, if the colon absorbs the extra water from the stool.

I would definitely get that colonoscopy because it has been 5 years. But if you truly have black stool, then I would also get an upper endoscopy because you may have a bleeding ulcer.

If your stool looks green, that's different. Stool can appear in many different colors. It's only of concern if it's truly black, red (bright blood) or a silvery color which indicates a pathology.

Again, my old adage applies... don't freak until you have something to freak about. If you are unsure whether the stool is tarry black, get a fecal occult blood test kit from your local pharmacy. Test to see if you have blood in your stool. Do it a few times.

Best of luck,
Regards,
CancerDad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Thanks, I did have both Endo and Colonoscopy 5 yrs ago.When they did the Endo, they found an ulcer and I am "spitting" up blood too. I thought at first I had pneumonia as I have green stuff in my sputum, i have had non-stop sinus infections lately and that I think goes with my prosthesis problems. I told my husband that's why I have to go to TX, we live in Va. The drs here just don't care. My hip hurts so bad on the left , my right leg is the "bad side but when i tell my Ortho dr he just half listens. When I tell my dr in Tx he will run MRIs and figure out what is wrong. He is a friend of my BIL who is an Ortho dr also. It is awlful to be in pain 24/7 and have noone care.
I am having a Video EEG in 2 weeks as my seizures are bad and this after having a surgery on my leg 4 weeks ago. I had a bone tumor removed 10 yrs ago , benign , but it's been a nightmare with my prosthsis.
My 12 yr old has had 2 surgeries since April, one for a lg ovarian mass{benign } and a kidney surgery so I've been busy. I hate to think about what's in store for me. At least the new GI dr I know, I made sure when my dr left, we're military, that he passed me over to someone who knew my history already and this dr agreed to take me on. My husband got mad at me and told me to make my appt.I will call my GI dr tomorrow and ask him about an appt , but I probably can't do it til Sept as I will be in the hospital for a week and go to Tx . I can't even drive anymore due to my seizures, which stinks!

Old 07-31-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Bhuneke:
I'm so sorry to learn of your difficulties. Sounds like we are right on though... make sure you get in ASAP. And yes, it is VERY SAD that it seems as though none of these doctors care. I've always said to my wife, if they had to taste just an ounce of what we go through, they wouldn't be such as$hoIes! It's incredible! And I don't believe it's because they have become hardened to dealing with this sort of thing. Because the new ones are just the same as those practicing for a long time. I don't know what it is... must be a prerequisite for being a surgeon/oncologist. Your head must be at least three times the size of a normal individual! And they must speak with an arrogant tone.

Anyway, My best of luck to you! Hang in there and don't take any garbage!

Fondly,
CDad

Old 08-01-2005, 05:09 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

I caled for an appt this morning. My dr doesn't have any appts, I have to call back in a couple of days. I will call back on Wed, he knows me, he is younger and knows all about my previuos tumors and autoimmune problems.
Thanks for pushing me. I know better but I am overwhelmed with mostly my daughter's health, she is still not outt of the woods yet, her brain defect makes her life miserable.
B

Old 08-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Bhuneke:
Go ahead and lean on us... that's what we're here for. Besides, it helps us take our minds off our own problems! I don't know how healthy that is, but as long as we get to our problems, and are actively getting the help we need, how dysfunctional can it REALLY be to use others' problems to take our mind off our own? Especially if it helps you too!

Best of luck. Please let us know hown it goes after Wednesday.

Regards,
CancerDad

Old 08-01-2005, 07:42 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Thanks, My daughter's ultrasound didn't go well but a call to her Nephrology dr helped to calm me down a little. Her kidney is still enlarged{hydroneprosis} even though she had surgery in May, so I was upset to say the least.He called me back from his cell phone on his vacation time, another friend of my BILs , and he is going to see her after her renal lasix test which isn't til the 11th, so he will see her on the 25th. So now you see why my life is complicated. That's why I put my one surgery off for 2 yrs! My husband doesn't deal very well with my daughter's health problems, he has no concept of how to handle things. I have always dealt with things. One time I even took myself to the ER! I have always taken the children, even though I myself am not phsysically up to it, but I am better equipped to handle it.
My poor daughter will have to come 1st , but I think I can get my appt scheduled around hers. I know what to expect, having had it before. This last surgery took a lot out of me, must be my seizures working their magic or else I'm just run down. I had to go off my iron pills because they tend to cause me to have more seizures.
If she needs more surgery I will have to put off my replacement surgery for my new prosthesis til the Spring.Hopefully she won't lose her kidney. I was so hoping that this school year would be better than the last 2 yrs. 7th grade is a big deal and more intensive.
I do promise though to make my appt. I hate it when my husband puts his drs appts off.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:23 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

I got my appt for Aug 11th. It's a follow-up appt to discuss my colonoscopy and my problems I've been having. Last yr I had some tests and the radiologist had recomendended a CT to determine if it was Crhons or if something was kinking up in my abdomen but the dr I was seeing decided not to. I hope that wasn't a mistake. This dr will be a lot more active in my care. When I saw him a long time ago in a different clinic he ran all kinds of tests to determine what was going on. I left the hospital after midnight and after a whole body CT. This was 7 yrs ago so and they were looking for autoimmune disorders., MS etc.

Old 08-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Bhuneke:
The only thing you can do is to move forward from today for yourself... no whatifs, if only. STOP DOING THAT! You can only make sure you get what you feel is the best care for you (and your daughter) NOW!

You will HAVE to rely on your husband some... and know that in all liklihood, he will surprise you and come through! All of your health is important... what's your daughter to do without her number one caregiver permenantly? I don't mean to sound harsh in the least. But you need to worry about you too in all this. It's extremely important for a caregiver... we have many caregivers on this board, perhaps they can chime in. Each and every one, I hold dear to my heart and would take their recommendations as gospel.

I wish you the best,
CD

Old 08-11-2005, 06:57 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Hi , I got my colonoscopy scheduled for Aug 30th, after I get out of the hospital for my Video EEG and I am having a PET scan of my brain before that next week.
My daughter had her renal lasix today. At first her kidney wouldn't drain , but when they put the lasix{diuretic} in it finally drained. Her hydroneprosis{enlargement} is still there so we wait til the 25th to see what that means. Apparentlly some blood tests the rheumatology dr ran in July were bad involving her urine and the complements so they have to redo those, maybe another infection?
So I am busy enough as you can see with her drs appts too.The GI is looking into IBS symptoms for me,.He took some special blood tests today and sent them off to San Diego. Hopefully that's all it is and I won't have anymore polyps, precacerous or anything.
He gave me the Colyte stuff, 2 gallons because he said the other stuff can cause false lesions in the esophagus athat look like Colititis and he wants to be sure of everything with me. I have known him for a lomg time , before he was a GI Fellow so I didn't have to explain my whole history to him whereas most military drs you have to meet them new and go over everything.
I'll update when I know.
B

Old 08-27-2005, 05:05 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Just an update. I am going in for my colonoscopy on Tuesday! I dread the prep the worst and the fact that my dr is young. Kind of puts me at a disadvantage to have to sit across from him later for the results. He signed me up for a clinical study of his and I had to do blood tests . I get those results back later. I am having an endoscopic also looking for reasons for my continual reflux problems.
I'll let you all know. Thanks Cancer Dad for the literal kick in the you know what!
B

Old 08-28-2005, 07:31 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Bhuneke:
Good luck with the prep... make sure you drink plenty of fluid in between. The prep is the worst part... keep that in mind.

Please let us know how it turns out. We wish you the best of luck!!!
Regards,
CancerDad

Closed Thread