It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 05:30 AM   #1
(male)

Dargnabit HB User
Mystery illness :(

Alrite i have this mystery illness happening in my colon, im 18.. im fit and i usually excercise vigoursly since i am due for enlistment into the army reserve in a few months.

I've been having yellow diahorea or just yellow stools with mucus, started 8 weeks ago and it's odd i saw blood once but i found out it was a hemorhoid i think since i found blood on the toilet paper and a stingy sensation on my butt. Been having abdominal pain on the bottom left and right side(doubt i have appendicitis) + stomach pains or top right abdominal sometimes top left, sometimes its extremely powerful pain but usually its just mild. It takes a week for my stools to return to normal and then in a couple of days it goes yellow and the abdominal pain returns. I've had ultrasound and it ruled out gallstones along with my liver, gallbladder and 2 kidneys which turned out 'ultrasonically normal' not inflamed or anything.

Abdominal x-rays turned out normal nothing abnormal, took a stool sample it turned out normal too (didnt do it right i think since it mixed with urine so im doing it again).. now the pain has shifted to my urinary tract i think, since when i urinate there is pain sometimes. There is also this nasty back pain i get in the abdominal region. I have NO Family history of colon cancer or any form of cancer but then again it strike anyone without warning.

Its also aggrovated by sit-ups and crunches, i've also turned into a flatulance machine but i find it really really hilarious even tho it might pose a health problem. I know for one thing i got very mild reflux or possibly none at all. I wouldnt wanna wind up with Crohns, dervituclitis, colon cancer or something.. atleast irritable bowel syndrome which i heard is easily controllable.

Could it be toxins from the mass MSG i eat, since i usually eat noodles in between meals as a energy booster or a snack.. I've noticed after eating Yoghurt the symptoms get rather weak and sometimes disappear but not all the time. Placed on Flagyl for on assumption of bowel infection, whatever it did it cleared it up for a week but it returned with a vengeance *must admit i didnt finish the course only 2 tablets of flagyl left, since the side effects really messed me up*

Any idea what this is, its like my whole body is turning against me and i want to return to my normal life style. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User
Re: Mystery illness :(

Sounds like either a diet thing or an infection. I would suspect an infection because of the back pain and spread to the urinary tract. Urine in the stool sample would definatly make the sample unusable.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
(male)

Dargnabit HB User

Done the urine sample, just have to do the stool sample.. weird thing is, the diaherrea has stopped and im no longer passing stools i think it's cause of the liquid diet.. asked my doc bout a colonscopy and he just laughed at me n blabbed on about "tube in the bum" and that he doubts theres anything serious even if its going on for 8 weeks soon to be 9. He wont even put me through a CT scan cause of the radiation, this is like my 2nd doc.. first one gave up after the ultra sound and x-ray and assumed IBS without eliminating other colon problems like Crohns or Colitis and so on.

If the urine and stool sample are fine then from there i will assume that it is IBS and would change my diet accordingly.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Hey:
Possible gall bladder issues with yellow stools. Have they considered an ultrasound of your Gall Bladder, or ERCP via endoscopy? Extra flatulence could be coincedental with the increase of noodles in your diet... increasing carbs when you don't have the proper flora of bacteria to take care of the extra carbos creates more gas. You can try beano, and certainly yogurt... natural... with live active cultures. You can also get lozenges with live active cultures, and see if that helps. If it doesn't, I would definitely go to a GI doc for assessment of the Gall Bladder.

Good Luck,
CancerDad

Old 09-16-2005, 12:45 AM   #5
(male)

Dargnabit HB User

thx for the advice =],
i get this extreme stabbing pain around my stomach sometimes around the bottom of my ribs, but i had a ultrasound a 6 weeks ago.. everything was clear not even a single gall stone existed, i just came back from the docs my urine is so dark its scary even he was freaked out. My stools just became formed but bright yellow, i eat yoghurt and it kinda minimise the pain.. but then again the abdominal pain is really mild it comes and goes.. the right side of my abdomin has this sharp stab pain and its hell but lasts like 5-20 seconds then it disappears for a long time only to return when i least expect it.

it turns brown > yellow > brown > yellow and so on, stool colour keeps changing like it wont make up its mind, i see no blood .. yet so i guess thats a good sign. oh yeah i asked about ultrasound too, but the docs sed "we found nothing then and we're not gonna find anything now"..

Last edited by Dargnabit; 09-16-2005 at 04:47 AM.

Old 09-16-2005, 05:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Boy, they were helpful, weren't they??? If you haven't had an endoscope and colonoscopy, I probably would go for that, and request a CT scan. That should give you more insight.

Feel Better!
CancerDad

Old 09-16-2005, 07:09 AM   #7
(male)

Dargnabit HB User

i am gonna push for a colonscopy, im a health maniac which is weird for my age.. i got blood tests like 6 over this too, just a slight bilirubin count and slight neutropenia rest is cool. How does a colonscopy work? all i know is that its just a tube in the butt and boom thats it, and a simple liquid diet to clean ur colon.. sounds simple but i reckon theres more.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

You basically have it with the colonoscopy... except it's in the opposite order... take some stuff (not too tasty) to make you have diarrhea... go in, get some IV meds to make you loopy and forget the experience... Doc uses a tube with a camera attached... if there are any polyps, he/she can remove right then and there and 3 minutes later, boom, it's over. If you feel ANYTHING... you tell them you need more meds. That's it. Piece of cake.

They can also do an endoscopy at the same time... not with the same scope of course!!! That way you have been completely checked since you are presenting with such odd symptoms.
Again, you will be VERY LOOPY, if not out. You forget the whole thing, and may have a little sore throat at the end.

Good decision, and best of luck! Please keep us posted.

Fondly,
CancerDad

PS Any discoloration of the whites of your eyes... are you jaundiced, meaning yellowing of the skin and eyes due to excessive red blood cells? How were your other liver enzymes?

Old 09-18-2005, 05:01 AM   #9
(male)

Dargnabit HB User

Nay there are no Jaundice, i had a bad case of reflux its finally free and it burned my throat. Stools are slowly regaining its brown color back but its still mostly yellow. The pain is mostly on the bottom left, something is there and its causing me trouble.. Docs say a CT scan will probably be the first option before a Colonscopy or Endo but i have to wait till Tuesday on the results of my Urine and Stool test.

My other liver enzymes were normal so says the doctor and the results its just the bilirubin, my condition seems to be getting worst.. im starting to have these 'Chills' even when my room is warm a strong chill goes right through me strong enough to make me shake, in a way i think its fun but it can mean a medical condition. Whatever test i do they all turn up normal and i might be one of those 'undiagnosed' patients.

Thx for the info on the colonscopy CancerDad and the advice.
i hope its an infection so i can take Antibiotics. I dont smoke, dont drink soft drinks, no alcohol and i exercise alot i do not understand why i am sick

Last edited by Dargnabit; 09-18-2005 at 05:02 AM.

Old 09-18-2005, 03:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Hyperbilrubinemia (increased bilirubin) LEADS TO jaundice... so depending on you level of bilirubin, you WILL BE jaundiced. "It may be caused by obstruction of bile passageways, excess destruction of red blood cells (hemolysis) or distrubances in functioning of liver cells." Diagnostic studies to deternine the cause... include noninvasive procedures such as ultrasonography and CT. Invasive studies include cholangiography or endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography or ERCP to determine whether a gall stone is blocking the common bile duct. This is why I mentioned initially-- gall bladder trouble, which would give you a high bilirubin level, pain, and yellow stools-- and suggested U/S and ERCP... like I said above.

So, bottom line, my guess is gall bladder needs to come out. Sorry. It's a "No big deal operation" done laparoscopically. I will be interested in hearing what they determine.

I wish you the best of luck...
~CDad

PS.. you may have been ultrasonically normal to begin with, but that could have been early before results showed an inflamed gall bladder... especially if you cleared the stone, had normal stools, and now have the same pain, yellow stool, and increase bilirubin, etc. A CT then ERCP is a good move.

Last edited by CancerDad; 09-18-2005 at 03:28 PM.

Old 09-18-2005, 07:09 PM   #11
(male)

Dargnabit HB User

Operation is something i fear, is the gallbladder important or is it useless like the appendix? ... well im probably gonna try get another ultrasound done in the next couple of days maybe actually Tuesday i'll post the results. Had a pain around my stomach area below my ribs for like 1-2 hours, i didnt bothering going to the ER since i decided to wait till its gone.

How does ERCP work, i never heard of it before.

Thx CancerDad.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:28 AM   #12
(male)

Dargnabit HB User

Wheee, Urine and stool(submitted 1) sample were NORMAL. My doc is totally stumped and had no choice but to send me for a Colonoscopy which i have to book in. If the colonoscopy is normal from there i give up and consider IBS, and for the ultrasound i am gonna wait for like .. a year for another one else the medical system will make me pay $200. The action is in my bowel/colon and something there is messing me up, i notice im very sensitive to caffeine.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:20 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Hey... they go down your throat with an endoscope until they reach the opening to the common bile duct... feed a catheter in and inject a solution which can be read via xray to see if there is any obstruction. It's really no big deal. And no , you don't need your gallbladder... it stores bile from the liver to help in food digestion.

Good luck,
CD

Old 09-21-2005, 04:14 AM   #14
(male)

Dargnabit HB User

My stools turned back to its normal colour after i drank a tub of yoghurt.. abdominal pain seems to be abit weaker but still there, my abdomin still makes crazy noises which reminds me of a cow. I'll probably get the ERCP after the Colonoscopy, the prep isnt that bad i had a sniff of the liquid it smells like Lime since they changed the flavor for younger people =).

Thx CancerDad for the info on ERCP, hope i'll be asleep when i do that .

EDIT: My grandpa has colon cancer, wats the odds of me getting it? i exercise alot 6 days a week docs telling me its very unlikely.

Last edited by Dargnabit; 09-21-2005 at 04:17 AM.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargnabit
EDIT: My grandpa has colon cancer, wats the odds of me getting it? i exercise alot 6 days a week docs telling me its very unlikely.
As I was just saying on another post... that's bullsh*t. Depending on your grandfather's age, PLEASE get scoped at least 20 years prior. Most who still agree that Grandfather generations play a role, will advice 10 years before the youngest person in your family. If I waited for that, I would be dead.

My grandpa was diagnosed at 54. I started bleeding at 28, and was dx with stage 3c rectal cancer at 31. Please, do yourself a favor and get scoped. It's no big deal. I too was fit. Sometimes, I wonder about doctors.??

You go with what feels right.

I wish you the best,
CancerDad

PS You will be asleep for an ERCP. And Conscious sedation, meaning asleep, for the colonoscopy as well. You could be put out completely for both and kill two birds with one stone... think about it.

Last edited by CancerDad; 09-21-2005 at 07:55 PM.

Closed Thread