It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
(female)

retiredusmcwife HB User
Thumbs up Thank you .... everyone on this site

This week has been so hard for me... My son just joined and left to the Marines , and My husband just found out he had cancer in one of his polyps 3 days ago ... I have been on internet searching and found this site; my husband wanted me to see if any other Gulf War Vet got the same thing.. well I did as he asked and came to this board and went right to the source and behold, all my worries have went down... thanks to reading all your posts!

His VA Doc told him it was 1 above, the size of the tip of your index finger (I think that means the stage 1), that the biospy from the Colonoscopy did have cancer and he needs to go in in October 12th for further talking (?)

I have read numerous post, and did research, my Hubby's right now at work and he doesn't know this, but after reading your posts, I called my sister-in-law, she just told me on the phone that his Grandma (God Bless Her Soul) died from it 15 years ago, it started in her colon and went to her liver and on, my husband thinks it was liver cancer.

Past couple days he didn't want anyone to know he didn't want anyone feeling bad for him... Now that I found out from this site, it is hereditary, we will need to make his whole family know and thank god we know for our children's future health.

This site has given me so much hope... and I copied and pasted alot of the posts for him to read tomorrow morning with his coffee and maybe he will be like CancerDad and join in...

We have a large family on his side... everyone needs to know now... how important it is to get checked early.

And you guys and gals just given us the answers to what was needed to be known.. and such great support and answers for all sufferers out there of this disease. Thank you All and Good Health and keep up the great time you spend for others.... Bless you all

Thank You, Marina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User
Re: Thank you .... everyone on this site

Welcome to the boards. This is a confusing, numbing, emotional time. As people find out his diagnosis and offer to help, take them up on the offer. It is too hard to go through this alone. Write down any questions you have for the doctor, this isn't a time to rely on your memory. Take notes at the Dr. appointment-what they tell you and what you hear can be very different. It is always so hard to wait, but those of us here who have been through this are ready to help.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
(female)

retiredusmcwife HB User

Thanks... I am sure my husband will be on this in the morning ... he loves to chat anyway ... this site will give him something to look forward to ..

Old 09-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Mazrose HB User

You have come to the right place !!! We are all like a big family here, all in somehow sharing the same thing. You will find support, info and lots of hugs here..
Weclome!!

Maz
(hugs)

Old 09-21-2005, 07:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Welcome:
Please let your husband know I would be honored to speak with him ANYTIME.

God Bless You Both,
CancerDad

Old 09-22-2005, 07:07 PM   #6
(female)

retiredusmcwife HB User

Thank you all.. My hubby read the posts I copied and was releived more, the only thing is he doesn't like to talk about it... he has spoken to his family.. which is good... but he wants to wait till his doc visit to discuss the treatment plan... and he is going to my doc whom is great and refers to an excellent hospital if needed. then I believe he will start talking about it. He is in limbo right now and trying not to think about it. So I will keep you all updated and meanwhile I help out a lot of women on cervical cancer side which I got through stage 5. CancerDad: God bless you!!!!

Old 09-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

It is natural for one not to want to talk about it. Emotions run deep when faced with a potentially deadly affliction. your husband is lucky, it being detected so early but will still have that hair-raising feeling that all of us had when the word 'cancer' was applied to our situation. Hopefully after he has spoken to the doc he will be willing to join in the conversation here, but not everyone gets to that point.

I also suggest that he, or you, or both of you, take notes at the doc's. There will be a lot said and the emotions are occupying a lot of thought power right now. You might not be able to remember all that is said so taking notes is a good idea that edinaman suggested.

Even if your husband does not join in here, he may want to 'lurk'(web-speak for a person who reads but does not post to a forum) or, if he does not even want to do that there is no reason you can't. Your need for answers will be as great as his. People here can either answer your questions or tell you how to phrase it to the doctors.

Closed Thread