It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2005, 08:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Update from Mrs.CancerDad~Need advice pls!JD are you there??

Hi everyone~CD mentioned JD as you have an ostomy~
CD's wife here. Just to update you all, we have been home for almost 5 days now. Having a little difficulty and are not getting straight answers from surgeon. I know I don't know you, but am in need of help or advice. Hubby started eating on Sunday. He went from eating basically nothing to eating about 3 regular meals a day. However, he has had NO output in his ostomy bag yet. Just some gas, but even that has not really happened since this morning. Stoma looks pink and red, not gray at all which I have been told is a good thing. He does have bowel sounds when I listen with a stethoscope, but this evening he has a 101.3 fever, chills, nausea, and just looks ill. Stomach has a hard spot above the incision site, but I can't tell if it is old scar tissue or a possible blockage or problem. I don't want to bother the doctor again tomorrow to have him say he's "not concerned". But then again if my loving husband has taught me anything through all of this, is to question doctors if you aren't getting the answers you want. Should I be concerned?? I can not seem to find any definitive answers regarding a "D Day" that stool needs to be produced in the bag. I just think that 5 days is a long time when you are eating that much. Do any of you have any ideas or tricks of the trade for us??
On a separate note, I am so thankful for all of the wonderful and supportive friends CD has met through this board. I think that at times it really gives him some comfort knowing that there are people out there that care for him without even knowing him, unconditionally. And if you know CD at all, he would never not visit the boards for over a week, so he really is feeling quite ill. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers, and please if you have any ideas for me and CD, we would so greatly appreciate it. Best wishes to all of you. From: Mrs. CD (Lyn)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2005, 06:23 AM   #2
(female)

tigerfish HB User
Re: Update from Mrs.CancerDad~Need advice pls!JD are you there??

CD's wife, this is tigerfish, I posted the case like that before when my dad had his problem, it calls blockage. What u need to do is:

1) drink a lot of tea
2) put warm to hot water bottle close to stoma, it will help the movement
3) walk around and even try to do some dance, to help with the movement.

I think he must had some food that is not soft, that usually cause blockage.

Keep us posted

Old 10-14-2005, 06:40 AM   #3
(female)

Mudlark HB User

I hope JD can help you. however I am a new colosotmate. It took several days for my system to use the bag, and when I got home I managed to constiapte myself and made a few days of concern about empty bag when I inquired about the delay I was told- prune juice, stool softeners and lots fo liquid. and gritting my teeth worked as did wamth to the belly.

It's so worrying when questions don't get the right answers. Hope all goes well for you

Old 10-14-2005, 07:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

Hi Mrs cancerdad, I see you are already getting great advice from those who also have a colostomy. I just wanted to say I wish you both well and hope CD feels better soon. I would keep a close eye on the fever and you should not be afraid to call the doctor regarding any concerns you have. That is what they are there for.

Love to both of you....CD is SO lucky to have you by his side through all this and especially as you too can come to the board and keep us updated.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:19 AM   #5
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User

Please call your MD immediately. A fever of 101 is cause for concern. Your husband may have a post operative infection and need antibiotics to treat it. Is he being seen by a home care nurse on a daily basis who is monitoring the situation? When I started running a fever two weeks post-sugery, I was told by the visiting nurse to call the surgeon who admitted to the hospital overnight and was given intravenous antibiotics, and then oral pills to take at home.
Leslie

Old 10-14-2005, 07:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Dear Mrs CDad

Sorry I have not been around to offer my best wishes for Cdad and yourself but have been away with work committments. But I do really hope that his condition improves asap.

I am afraid I cannot offer any advice on stomas and stuff BUT I am annoyed that his doc is dismissive of a patient who has just undergone serious surgery, with a BIG case history AND a temperature. Definitely pester your doc and remind him who he is dealing with. Best wishes.

ktee

p.s. have tried leaving a message for Jdees but am unsure whether it got to the server. Will try again if we do not hear from him soon.

Last edited by ktee_uk; 10-14-2005 at 07:26 AM. Reason: adding a ps

Old 10-14-2005, 07:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

Sorry it has taken so long to reply. Last weekend was Thanksgiving in Canada and I was not on the computer much.

Did CD have a bowel movement before leaving the hospital? In my case they would not even let me go on solid food until I had a bm.

Gas will be a problem for some time. It will cause pain and pain can cause a fever(body's reaction to a perceived problem) though over 100F is quite high for that to be the cause.

Lots of liquids including as mentioned warm liquids such as tea should help. CD should be sure to have plenty of water during meals too.

My stoma passed the first bm about 4 days after the operation IIRC, I was in hospital for 10 days but it was in conjunction with the bowel resection.

Yes, if there is no movement right soon then there IS a problem and if the doctor won't be concerned take him to emergency and have them check him out. A patient in lying front of a emerg doc who presents with post op fever will be taken seriously. If he is in pain as well(even if it is only the gas pains) I reccomend that you exaggerate (ie : lie) and tell them that the pain is excrutiating. They can't measure pain so they have to test for causes. A simple x-ray should show if there is a blockage.

Be advised that I will be out of town starting wed the 19th until the 27th and won't be available during that time. I will try to moniter this thread until then.

Give my best wishes to CD.

JD

Old 10-14-2005, 08:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Thank you to all. Jaydees, sorry, I thought it was JD. I need to become more familiar with all of you here. It is now the morning here, no movement during the night, and the bag has NO air in it, so no gas is passing through. Fever continued all last night as did the vomiting. I insisted that he call the MD this morning, but he really doesn't want to go to the hospital again. Not that I blame him, but with the weekend coming and all, I don't feel comfortable waiting until the visiting nurse comes on Monday. Don't ask me why we had to wait over a week for a visit from a nurse, but whatever. I hope that I can make the doc see us today, I told James to blame it on his paranoid nurse. He is on the phone with the office as I am writing and we will be going in at 2pm today. I will write again after that. Thanks for all your help.
~Mrs. CD

Old 10-14-2005, 08:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

Thanks for posting back...do let us know how the visit goes...you have definitely made the right decision to see the doctor. CD really needs no more complications!

Love,

Old 10-14-2005, 04:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

Jaydees or JD either one is OK after all it is obviously my initials.

I'll check here again in a while and see if you have posted again about today's doc visit.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:22 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User

I am glad CD called the doctor. I can't understand how a doctor, knowing your husband's history, would put him off or not answer your questions. CD seems like someone who would push the doctor to get the answers, but I understand how after a while you just don't want to see the doctor again. I agree with Jaydees, if necessary, go to the emergency room. My thoughts are with all of you.

Closed Thread