It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
(female)

hoping4best HB User
IBS & Rectal Cancer Link?

I've been posting here and there on this board for a while now. My mom was diagosed with rectal cancer 1.5 years ago. She is 58 years old. Mets to the lungs now, and she is doing 5FU/Avastin every 2 weeks. Last CT showed no change in the lung tumors, but we're hoping this next one is going to show something!

My question - I think I have IBS-D. I'm 25 yrs old. My doctor can't diagnose it though, she just tells me to take Metamucil! I get diarheaa on occasion, especially after fatty foods. But what is the worse is the urgency. When I gotta go, look out! It has definitely put a bit of a damper on my social life. I always want to go somewhere where a bathroom is near. This has been going on for probably about 4 years or so. I asked my doctor for a c-scopy after my mom was diagnosed, but she said I don't need one and I'm too young. Should I push harder for this?? My friend that is a nurse thinks so. I've never had blood, but I'm wondering if maybe what I think is IBS is something else....

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2005, 09:10 AM   #2
(female)

sftfemme HB User
Re: IBS & Rectal Cancer Link?

My mom also has stage IV rectal cancer, she was diagnosed at 59. I am planning on having a colonoscopy after the 1st of the year. I don't think my Dr will give me a hard time about it but if he does you can bet that I will have seen some "blood" in my stools to get it done. I think its sad that we have to lie about something like this just to get some piece of mind but if thats what you need to do then I say do it.
Good luck.
Teresa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Absolutely PUSH HARD for a colonoscopy. That was part of my doctor's thinking too... you're too young. She kept reassuring me, and before you know it my odds of a 5 year survival went from 100% to 20%, not to mention all the agony which I won't even get into, just because she didn't refer me for a simple colonoscopy. I did have intermittent bleeding starting around 27/28. But you may have bleeding and not know it. BTW it was stage 3C Rectal Cancer. Many Primary Care doctors just have no clue.

I have heard this SO many times since. You NEED to get a referral to a gastroenterologist, and get that colonoscopy. At the very least, he or she can give you some medication if it is IBS so that you can have a life again! PLEASE DO THIS.

And keep us posted.

Best of Luck,
CancerDad

Old 12-06-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
(female)

hoping4best HB User

Thanks for the replies....

Teresa, do you mind me asking how old you are??

I'm getting married in 4 months, so I don't think I'll end up getting it done till after then. After x-mas I think I'll go see my doctor and demand it, but I probably won't get it till months after that since I'll be considered low priority. Oh well, what do ya do!

Old 12-06-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Why not get the ball rolling before the wedding? Wouldn't it be nice to eat what you want to, when you want to... even on the honeymoon and not have to worry about it? There is simple medication called Librax that helps with the spasms and allows you to eat without worrying about rushing to the bathroom. Wouldn't that be nice? Then you can schedule the colonoscopy for after the honeymoon?

What do you say?

Best of luck with the wedding,

CancerDad

Old 12-07-2005, 06:27 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User

Please don't put off the colonoscopy. Sometimes the wait is long to get the appointment, and even if it isn't, you can make the appointment for months in the future. Not to scare you, but eventhough colon/rectal cancer is thought of as a disease of people over 50, there are really quite a few people diagnosed in there 20's. These people usually had to fight for a colonoscopy because even their doctors didn't realize this can happen to people in their 20's or even teens. There is even a calendar with "pin ups" of people diagnosed before they were 50. Most are in their 20's and 30's.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:05 AM   #7
(female)

hoping4best HB User

I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor and hope that she will at least refer me to a gastrinologist. I would like to go to the same one my mom did, then after seeing him and him knowing about my mom, he will schedule the colonoscopy for me, well hopefully. I hope it doesn't take pulling teeth, but if she's difficult, I'll say I'll find a new doctor that supports patients being pro-active about their health!! I mean, sheesh, its our bodies, even if it gives us piece of mind, it should be done!!

Old 12-08-2005, 10:43 AM   #8
(female)

hoping4best HB User

Well, I made an appointment for tomorrow morning...lets hope she referrs me!! My gut feeling is that its not cancer of course, but maybe he'll test me for Crohn's, Colitis etc. I bet I'll have a lot of tests awaiting me!

Thanks for your support!

Last edited by hoping4best; 12-08-2005 at 10:49 AM.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:04 PM   #9
(female)

sftfemme HB User

To answer your question, I just turned 40 last month. I'm real nervous about having one but alot more nervous about not having it. Its funny but its not the actual scope that I'm afraid of, its the drugs. Silly I know but I have never had anything like it. I had a scope done to check my stomache and I did it with nothing, it wasn't bad at all but I don't think I can do this without drugs.

Teresa

Old 12-09-2005, 07:12 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Teresa:
It is natural to be nervous about having ANY procedure... but trust me, I have had enough colonoscopies... It is a walk in the park. Especially if you tell them you want conscious sedation... they give you a little medicine throuh an IV... usually an antianxiety med that relaxes you and makes you forget, together with a narcotic pain killer. The two work great in combination so you don't feel a thing... If you do, make sure you speak up.

The worst part I always find, and hear time and again from other survivors, and people requiring the procedure is that the prep is the worst. Just buy some hemorrhoid cream *Tronolane-- pramoxine-- works great. You just keep reapplying every time you have a bowel movement. You will have a lot of diarrhea, so drink plenty of fluids, especially that replenish your electrolytes.

Best of luck. And, please come back and keep us posted.

Regards,
CancerDad

PS Hoping4Best... CONGRATULATIONS on making the appointment. Please go in with a positive attitude... IT IS YOUR BODY, and YOU know it best. They will be able to see other inflammatory conditions when they do a colonoscopy. So don't go in so hesitant. Instead, go in confident, like you are when you speak about it being your body, and INSIST that you get a referral to a gastroenterologist and once you get there that you have a colonoscopy. Lots of Luck! ~CDad

Old 12-12-2005, 10:29 AM   #11
(female)

hoping4best HB User

Well, I got the referral...yay!!! But probably won't get in to see him till Feb/March! Oh well, a step in the right direction.

Closed Thread