It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 10:11 PM   #1

jasmine000 HB User
Question lumps (lymph nodes) in colon??? please help...

This is kinda a strange question but here goes: I use tampons with no applicator, so I use my finger to push them up where they are supposed to be. i have noticed when i have my finger up there that i can feel some lumps, to me seem like lymph nodes or??? in my colon. So I started to feel and they move around abd are kinda large...at first thought maybe fecal matter...which is in same place, but same lumps are always there. I havent really been worried about it, but though maybe someone would have some insight. Could they be just regular lyph nodes, or something like that? I have other lymph nodes too: one in cheek, one behind ear, etc. and have been told they are ok....no pain at all, would never even know they were there if i didnt feel around for them. most people would probably not even have felt these. Please help if you have knowledge in this area. THANKS!!!

Old 12-10-2005, 09:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Re: lumps (lymph nodes) in colon??? please help...

Jasmine:
Something doesn't sound right to me... the lumps in your rectum--do they get bigger and smaller, are they painful? My guess is they are most likely stool, if they keep moving to different areas, or cysts in your vaginal wall as I explain below. If they are stationary, then I would consider that they may be polyps and this requires further investigation by a gastroenterologist.

The lump behind your ear and in your cheek are possibly submandibular nodes, but a little confusing. Typically unless inflamed, in most people, you only feel axillary nodes in this area. Do any of them hurt or feel enlarged? If they are constantly enlarged, this indicates that your immune system is fighting something which, if constantly enlarted is a problem. A human has lymph nodes all over his/her body. They tend to cluster though in seven major groups...cervical, axillary, inguinal, pelvic, abdominal, thoracic, and supratrochlear.... main ones we feel though are: cervical, front of neck beneath jaw, which you can palpate; we also have mediastinal (thoracic) nodes, along the sternum, which are rarely felt unless you are bone thin, but even then?; axillary which are under your armpits and down your sides slightly and out towards the breast or chest a little; inguinal/pelvic which are in your pubic regions to the side close to your thighs (in the "fatty tissue"); and lastly mixed in the mesentary or fatty blood supply spread around our colon or in the fat pad beneath our rectum are abdominal nodes. So, you really shouldn't feel any nodes in the vaginal/rectal wall. Sorry for the long drawn out answer-- I hope it makes sense and that I got it all for you.

My guess is the lump on your cheek is something bone related that you have had all your life and is probably not a big deal... again, unless someone is telling you it's a lymph node... you can tell, lymph nodes are like grapes, and when inflamed or swollen, they are pretty painful when you touch them. I suspect that the bumps are closer to the vaginal wall and are probably cysts... they can be painful and do move around, but you need to verify this with your GYN and then consider calling a Gastroenterologist to schedule a colonoscopy.

You don't mention your age... if you are 40 or over with NO other symptoms, no bleeding, no narrowing stool, no increased frequency of bowel movements, or a feeling like you always have to have a bm, and no family history, then you can probably push it closer to 50. TALK to your GYN about it.

Best of luck, and please keep us posted.

~CancerDad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2005, 07:16 PM   #3

jasmine000 HB User

Hi CancerDad Thanks for the info! Here is a little more detail to see what you think, since obviously you are very knowledgeable. I am 26 years old. The lumps I have actually assumed are lymph nodes...but could be wrong. They move when I push on them, and they dont get smaller or bigger, and dont hurt...they are just there. I would say one in cheek and behind ear are about half the size of a grape, fairly small. Have had them as long as I remember and they are the same. When I get sick my glands get swollen and hurt, but these dont. I tried to feel ones in my rectum today and couldnt really feel them....so either you are correct that it is stool, or they move around lot...like closer to the wall when I do have stool pushing them...does that make sense? If these are glands, they feel like size of grapes, and do not hurt at all....I just felt them and so keep trying to see if they are there. During any of my visits to my Gynocologist there has been nothing abnormal, and she hasnt seen anything...but not really in a place that she could I would think. And to specify I can feel that they are either in the wall, or more likely in the rectum...And in answer to your last questions: I have no blood in stool and have nothing different in my bowel movements. Does this give you any more idea of what it sounds like to you? I do think I had some reletavis (great grandma maybe) who died of colon cancer....what would be the symptoms of that? My dad got a colonoscopy this year and was all clear and I had thought of doing that as well. Thanks for any info! I appreciate you taking your time.

Old 12-11-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Jasmine:
Has a doctor ever looked at your face/jaw? I SERIOUSLY doubt it is anything since you have had it for years. Most of us have an extra little nodule here or there around our skull that is nothing.

As for the lumps in your rectum... if they were not there yesterday, and you have no other symptoms of anything wrong (bleeding, thin stools, flattened stools, increased urgency, a feeling of incomplete evacuation of bowels, or pain) then I doubt it is related to anything but stool. That said, however, since you have a family history of colorectal cancer, and have had some lumps that you find suspicious, I would push to have a colonoscopy for piece of mind. Better to be safe then sorry. I would still ask your GYN about it; many GYN's do a rectal as standard protocol when you get your yearly exam and PAP Smear. If you can convince a doctor to refer you for a scope, I would do it... it is NO BIG DEAL.

I was dx with Stage 3C rectal cancer at 31... started bleeding at 27/28 and having other symptoms. I only have a grandfather who had rectal cancer... that's the ONLY family history. Most people who develop colorectal cancer do not have relatives who have had it (or maybe had it, but it was taboo to talk about it--sad, but it still is today for many). So, that's why I'm an advocate of getting a colonoscopy... it's the ONLY way to detect colorectal cancer, and is such a simple procedure. If I had an internist who took me seriously, and didn't keep convincing me that it was hemorrhoids, stress, and Advil, then I would be leading a MUCH different life today.

Best of luck,
CancerDad

Old 12-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #5

jasmine000 HB User

CancerDad

Thanks again for your time. I remember years ago asking my doctor about the lump in my cheek and she said it was no big deal...as long as it didnt grow or hurt. So I never really worried about it after that. When it comes to the ones in my colon...I dont really feel like it is anything serious since I have no symptoms, but you are right...and I will try to schedule a colonoscopy to be sure and for piece of mind. You didnt say whether you totally beat your rectal cancer? I hope you are doing really well! I respect that you are sharing your experiences and trying to help others in this forum! p.s. if nothing shows up in colonoscopy...then if cysts what does that mean? Are they ok or do they need to be removed? Thanks

Old 12-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Hi:
They NEVER say that you have "totally beat" colorectal cancer. In fact, in some, it comes back even after the standard 5 years that is usually considered the golden marker. With that said, though, I have had "no detectable cancer" for almost 2 years now. Unfortunately, I still suffer a lot from "cancer pain," but try to stay positive. My prognosis I was given was a 20-24% chance of surviving 5 years. Versus stats where if caught when I started complaining of bleeding, it would have been 100% curable. So that makes me angry, but, again, I try to let it go and live my life. Thanks for asking. I try to help others who come to the board with similar symptoms... I feel that's the least I can do.

In any event, the cysts are usually harmless, often painful depending on your cycle, and you are often advised to have them removed. You don't have to though, especially if they are not painful or bothering you. I still really think though if you couldn't feel them, then it probably is stool. But who knows??? Your GYN is in a much better position to tell you so I would ask more at your next visit. And I am REALLY glad to hear you are going to try to push for a colonoscopy. It really is good piece of mind.

Best of luck,
CancerDad

Old 12-12-2005, 06:55 PM   #7

jasmine000 HB User

Hi CancerDad! You are really wonderful for reaching out to help others with wisdom from your experience! I can understand your frustration with the doctors for not catching your rectal cancer when you first had symptoms...it seems like bleeding would be something they would be concerned with and want to find the cause right away...but what do I know. I am happy you are doing well now, and I really hope you continue to get better and better until this ordeal is nothing but a memory! And in the meantime you are definitely helping others. I now plan to get a colonoscopy, and you have helped motivate me in that direction. So thanks again. Have a great day!

Closed Thread