It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

amm8589 HB User
New Here, Have Some Questions

Hello, my name is Amy and I just found this board. I'm so relieved to find a group where I can learn more and give/receive support. My husband is having some problems and I have been a nervous wreck. He is 40 years old. His mother had colon polyps removed twice when she was in her mid-50's, none were cancerous. His father had prostate cancer at age 64 and is fine now, though he does have Type II Diabetes. Here is Dh's problem:

For the last several months, his bowel movements have been soft and he never feels completely empty. He has gas frequently and feels bloated. He somtimes has pain. He went to the doctor Thursday for an unrelated issue but mentioned these symptoms to her, thinking he had hemmeroids. She did a rectal exam, ran a fecal and urine test, and checked his prostate. He was surprised to learn that there was blood in both his urine and feces. He has never seen blood in the toilet, so it must be a trace amount. She did not find any hemmeroids, and his prostate is not enlarged. Still, the doctor referred him for blood work, a colonoscopy, and another procedure (forget the name, but it is a tube inserted from the mouth down to look for stomach ulcers). We should hear this week when he is scheduled for the procedures.

I have hardly slept since Thursday because I'm so afraid of what might be wrong with him. I keep thinking it can be cancer and it scares me. We have three sons, ages 7, 6, and 2. I'm sure you all understand what I'm feeling and fearing.

I just hope it turns about to be something other than cancer. If not, perhaps we will catch it early enough to beat it.

Thanks for listening. I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Amy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
(female)

Emeraldz HB User
Re: New Here, Have Some Questions

Hi Amy - I know how you feel, trust me, I think every one of us on this board knows!

First of all, it's great that you're going to get all this checked. My Dad had a lot of the symptoms you mentioned..but he never told anyone until I dragged him to the ER one night from rectal bleeding that I happened to find out about..which has led us to the mess that we are now in.

You're doing the right thing! You could be right in thinking that this is still early, and in good time to fix everything...or it could be nothing at all. Hang in there..I know it's tough. I'll keep you and my husband in my prayers

E

Old 12-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Mazrose HB User

Hi Amy...
My thoughts are with you for sure, but its good that your gp has ordered a Colonoscopy which is the only real way of finding out if there is any real bowel problems. Being early on the case will help for sure.
Goodluck and take care of you too.
Maz

Old 12-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Amy:
I too know how you and your husband are feeling. I was dx with Stage 3C Rectal cancer at 31... began bleeding rectally at 28 and my doctor never took it seriously. My wife and I have two children... now 6 and 9. You and your husband are definitely doing all the right things. The colonoscopy is the big test you are waiting for. That will tell you what is going on, most likely... with his feeling of incomplete evacuation of stool, whatever is going on is most likely in the lower GI tract. Remember, there is NOTHING you can do now while waiting for the tests, except spend time together, and try not to think about it... I know, easier said than done, but TRY to stay optimistic.

Remember, your husband COULD just have benign polyps that will be taken out during the colonoscopy. The blood in the urine worries me a little, but try to be optimistic about that too... sometimes we have low grade urinary tract infections which cause bleeding, or he could have nicked his urethra, could have stones... there are lots of things that are not necesessarily worst case scenarios.

Worst Case, he has cancer, but you have NOW caught it and can begin the fight. I'll be honest, it's NOT fun, but you fight like heck, taking it in piece by piece. We are jumping way ahead of ourselves though... first colonoscopy and quality time trying not to worry.

You will find a WEALTH of knowledge and experience on this Board and many survivors who have been there done that too should the need arise.

Think positively. Best of luck, and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Regards,
CancerDad

Old 12-12-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
(female)

amm8589 HB User

Thank you for your responses. I just realized that I never asked the questions. First, if polyps are found during a colonoscopy, are they always removed at that time? If not, under what circumstances are the not removed immediately?

Second, how long does it take to know the results of the colonoscopy? What tests do they run? I have read something about a CEC, what is that?

Finally, when the procedure is over, what will the doctor be able to tell us right away?

Thanks again!

Amy

Old 12-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #6
(female)

PeggySusan HB User

Amy, hi, a lot of good info. from the other posts, when a person has a colonoscopy it shows the doctor what is wrong and where and they like to do what has to be done at that time because everything is set to go and easier and safer that way, so don't worry or try not to. Sometimes we fear what we don't know or have knowledge of but when you get the info. you then know where you are at. I have Diverticlosis(can never get that one spelled right) it is to do with the colon and I should be having the same test your husband is but I had the other and it showed no blood. Your husband is young and it sounds like your timing is good for this test as there is so much they can do when a person goes to the doctor at the first time of trouble. The other test you were referring to is a "scope test" at least that is what they call it here in Canada, it is a light and it shows up the stomach and areas so the doctors can see.I will be watching for your other posts, try not to worry too much and I know that isn't easy.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Mazrose HB User

Not sure on the polyps... but I think the test your talking about is a CEA.. which is the cancer levels..... If you have one in the start, after 6 months of chemo or surgery they do the test again to see if the level has decreased.
The doctors should know the results straight away from the colonoscopy. Mine told me straight after I woke up after the colonoscopy. Wasnt the news I wanted to hear, but at least we caught it early (well stage 2 + ) and now have had surgery and chemo.
(Also had a illesotomy reversal which went all wrong and back to square one but thats another story)
BUT like CD said, were getting way too ahead of ourselves here. Take time out and try not to think about it too much.. (I know that doesnt work) but weve all been where u are.. and if you have any questions or worries at all please jusst ask... Someoen will have the answers here. This is a great board for support and its like a big family.
Take care
(Hugs)
Maz

Old 12-13-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I believe that whenever possible the polyp is removed and biopsied right away.
Sometimes if the polyp is really large, or is really attached to the walls of the intestines small parts are snipped off to biopsy and surgery may be needed.

Hard to believe, but even a non-malignant polyp can be a not so good thing if it is blocking the intestine.

CDad was right on target along with everyone else who said that the hardest part of all of this is the waiting, the not knowing and the worrying. When God gave us imaginations I'm pretty sure He wasn't considering the times like this!

Hang in there, and please please keep stopping back to let us know how things are going. We're with you,

Closed Thread