It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

efang HB Userefang HB User
Is "conscious sedation" pretty safe when we do the colonoscopy?

When we do a colonoscopy or Endoscopy procedure , the doctor use a conscious sedation to has the patient to lose consciousness for a while, I like to know this sedation’s detail information and if this kind of sedative is pretty safe. I mean “safe” is the patient will be recovered consciousness soon and wouldn’t be lost consciousness forever by accidentally.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User
Re: Is "conscious sedation" pretty safe when we do the colonoscopy?

I'm thinking it is probably safer than the more powerful stuff they give for serious surgery. My one and only colonoscopy went just fine--I woke up near the end, watched the monitor and chatted with the doctor as he retracted the probe. A nurse I talked to yesterday told me she was out like a light for hers and was slow to wake up, so I guess it affects people differently.

You'll be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Hi:
Archie is correct... conscious sedation IS actually safer than general anesthesia. Conscious sedation allows you to drift in and out of sleep and usually forget much of what went on, all the while making you comfortable during the procedure. Usually they use midazolam (a very short acting benzodiazepine which makes you sleepy and has side effects to make you forget.... it has a very short half life which means it is out of your system very quickly, allowing it to be a very safe choice). This medication is usually mixed with a narcotic analagesic... typically fentanyl, which helps with any discomfort, and has a side effect of sedation.

There is also another medication called propofol, which is sometimes used (ask your GI what he/she uses) which is another EXCELLENT choice because of its properties. It works and wears off VERY quickly. It allows you to be out completely, but not require intubation like general anesthesia... so unlike the other combo, you won't drift in and out of sleep.

Both treatments are great, safe choices for this VERY simple procedure. I commend you for having it done.

Best of luck,
CancerDad

Old 01-22-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

Modern surgery has a whole range of sedation to choose from and only as much as is required is used.

The sedation used in colonoscopy is very safe. In fact if you have ever drank enough alcohol to cause you to pass out then that was more dangerous than what you will be given for this procedure.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #5
(female)

trittsneighbor HB User

They will monitor you the whole time to make sure you are okay. It is safe, they do these things all to time. Usually, unless you already have heart trouble, you don't have to worry about it.

I was put completly to sleep and came out fine. I worried about it for a long time, but, it was very safe. Nothing to worry about. I have an irregular heartbeat and mitral valve too, and still was safe.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

I already scheduled to do EGD and colonoscopy at same time on the end of May, I like to know if I will get more amount of "conscious sedation" meditation this time because the procedure needs to take more time.I don't know if do EGD and colonoscopy at same time is as same as safy than just do one procedure one time because getting more amount of sedations.

Thanks!

Last edited by efang; 05-10-2007 at 01:50 PM.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #7
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User

When I have my colonoscopies, I am given a wonderful sedative that you wake up from immediately after the procedure, fully awake with no hangover. I think it was Versed. However, when I had an endoscopy done (at a different time than the colonoscopy) that medication was bad. It took a long time afterwards to become awake and alert and I felt like I was in a stupor most of the rest of the day. I later called up and asked why they didn't use the good stuff like for the colonoscopy and was told a different type of sedation, that allows you to follow directions and cooperate with instructions - be somewhat aware during the endoscopy procedure was used.
That was 4 years ago and perhaps what they use now is better.
Leslie

Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LESLIETOO View Post
I later called up and asked why they didn't use the good stuff like for the colonoscopy and was told a different type of sedation, that allows you to follow directions and cooperate with instructions - be somewhat aware during the endoscopy procedure was used.
I don't understand what your mean, if they used this kind of sedation and let you are somewhat aware during the endoscopy procedure was used and cooperated with them? I think if you were asked to DO something during the
procedure, it is very uncomfortable.
I did once endoscopy and they used porpofol IV and Lidocaine and put me to sleep completely. I waked up from immediately after the procedure and no any problem. I did once colonoscopy but I don't know what kind of sedation I was used, but it is also fine. this time I will do EGD and colonoscopy both
at same time on June 6. I hope everything OK.

Thanks!

Last edited by efang; 06-05-2007 at 05:50 AM.

Closed Thread