It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User
Worried...

Hey everyone...

I am wondering how worried I should be...need some advice. (As a reminder I was diangosed in July w/a T2 rectal cancer at age 32. Had pre-op radiation and chemo, then total mesorectal excision, ileostomy, appendix and total hysterectomy in Nov. and am in the middle of FOLFOX treatment now.)

Anyway...for once I am not worried about me, but about my son. He is only four and a half and has been having, of all things, rectal bleeding for almost two weeks. I, of course, have already brought him into my pedi. She thinks constipation, so we have put him on capfuls of Miralax to help clean him out. He has had regular bms and the bleeding stopped a little, but came back full force today. Of course any kind of rectal bleeding freaks me out, and I have read online about FAP (which my colorectal surgeon says is not the same gene I have), and about childhood polyps. I don't want to put my son through any unnecessary treatments, but I also don't want to ignore anything either. My pedi said we should give it a couple of weeks then she would run tests if needed. She saw no outward sign of a fissure or hemmerhoid on him.

Any advice is appreciated,
Cats

Old 02-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Re: Worried...

Cats:
Keep in mind the GI would probably put him out if he/she were to do a colonoscopy. Does he have any other symptoms? Like complaining of itching (during day or at night), pain, pain while having a BM, etc.? Cats, with your history and early age, it is possible you carry the HNPCC gene... that's the inherited one where you usually have 5 or less polyps, but they keep coming back. Refresh my memory... did you do the genetic studies? If so, what exactly did you test positive/negative for?

Is it possible that he is being a normal kid and demonstrating a PERFECTLY NORMAL part of child development. All I'll say is kids do some normal kid things sometimes...especially if he knew that you had rectal bleeding, he could be acting it out or just curious-- playing doctor, putting things where they don't belong, etc. This can lead to tears in the anus that will eventually heal up. I would just talk with him and assure him it's normal, but you need to know. Then talk to him about some differences in bodies, and how it's normal for him to be curious. But that he can't do things like this, but the two of you CAN go to the bookstore and buy a book about differences. I would use it as an opportunity to show him that he can talk with you about ANYTHING, and you are here to answer any questions he might have. They do have some awesome books now that can help you talk and answer age appropriate questions.

If you don't get anywhere with that, stop and think if he had a change in his diet. If not Cats, I would consider taking him to a GI. They do have pediatric scopes. It is true what your pedi says about constipation... he may have developed a fissure that just hasn't healed yet.

I hope this helps. And that you don't take offense to my suggestions... it's always so difficult to make suggestions without knowing if you will take offense to something that is perfectly normal and has NO bearing on your childrearing skills. Hang in there, and let us know how it goes. Keep in mind that most kids as young as your son have bleeding from a non-serious source.

Fondly,
CancerDad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User

HI there CD,

Thanks as always for your response. I know I am probably overreacting, but jeez...of all things for my little guy to have!! We have had the whole "playing doctor" discussion and he denies any of that...I do think that it is related to bowel movements as this is the only time we see bleeding. He does say that it hurts "when the poop first comes out." We are continuing to sprinkle Miralax in his drinks once a day as a stool softner. I will give it one more week then we will call the pedi back. She said she would do blood work, x-rays and a gi referral if needed. Given my history she does not want to overlook anything, but does not want to over-react either.

Thanks for the advice. Hope you are doing well. I am hanging in despite folfox's effort to knock me down. We are planning our post-chemo family vacation and I can't wait!! May can't get her fast enough!!

Take care and thanks again,
Cats

Old 02-13-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
(female)

cinda HB User

no advice hon, but wanted to send some hugs and good wishes your way. You don't need anything else to worry about!!!

((((gocatsgo))))

~cinda

Old 02-14-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

Playing doctor is one thing, but he may also have ingested something he should not have (by plan or by misadventure) that is irritating the bowel. Has he had a CT scan? I assume not as it would be scary for a 4 yr old.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
(female)

blessallchildre HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocatsgo;21***81
Hey everyone...

I am wondering how worried I should be...need some advice. (As a reminder I was diangosed in July w/a T2 rectal cancer at age 32. Had pre-op radiation and chemo, then total mesorectal excision, ileostomy, appendix and total hysterectomy in Nov. and am in the middle of FOLFOX treatment now.)

Anyway...for once I am not worried about me, but about my son. He is only four and a half and has been having, of all things, rectal bleeding for almost two weeks. I, of course, have already brought him into my pedi. She thinks constipation, so we have put him on capfuls of Miralax to help clean him out. He has had regular bms and the bleeding stopped a little, but came back full force today. Of course any kind of rectal bleeding freaks me out, and I have read online about FAP (which my colorectal surgeon says is not the same gene I have), and about childhood polyps. I don't want to put my son through any unnecessary treatments, but I also don't want to ignore anything either. My pedi said we should give it a couple of weeks then she would run tests if needed. She saw no outward sign of a fissure or hemmerhoid on him.

Any advice is appreciated,
Cats
Cats - I am 35 years old and had FAP age 17. There is young 18 year old who was diagnosed with FAP at age 3. She has a message posted on this website - if you need to speak to someone. It might help her too.
Take care,
Eli

I know what you are going through - I remember my mother getting the news of my diagnosis. She collapsed in the shower sobbing and I had to jump in and hold her. Her I was fully clothed, soaking wet in the shower, holding the woman who held me all my life, as she was apologizing to me. Its terrible.

Eli
cancer survivor

Closed Thread