It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
(male)

searfomt HB User
Question Stage II - Started Chemo & Radiation - Heavy Bleeding on BM's

I just started Chemo (5FU - Continuous pump, 500 MG Daily) and Radiation (External Beam - Daily) in hopes of shrinking my 4cm tumor - seven inches from the anus. I have heavy bleeding on BM's (red and clots), so much so, that I appeared that I may have passed my tumor yesterday. I know that some bleeding is to be expected for this treatment, however, is this "comom"? Is it possible that I may have passed my tumor (which is on a valve)? Any help would be appreicated. Thank you.

Old 05-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Re: Stage II - Started Chemo & Radiation - Heavy Bleeding on BM's

Searfomt:
It is VERY common to have bleeding associated with chemoradiation. The inside of your bowel wall is being irritated and basically starts to shed and bleed. This usually doesn't happen though until further into therapy. My guess is this bleeding is related to the tumor and the symptoms you were probably having beforehand. As for the tumor, it is virtually impossible that you "passed the tumor." When we bleed rectally, the bleeding usually appears greater than it really is.

Have you had any diarrhea as a side effect of the chemorad yet? Or, have you experienced constipation or painful bm's lately? This may have irritated the tumor... together with the chemorad, and is causing more bleeding. Try not to be alarmed as this is perfectly normal.

Just mention it to your radiation or chemotherapy nurse or oncologist or radiation oncologist if he/she is accessible.

Best of luck. Welcome to the boards, though I'm sorry for the circumstances. I am a 33 y/o rectal cancer survivor stage 3C (31 at dx, 28 at beginning of bleeding). I have been thru A LOT, and unfortunately have a lot of side effects that I still deal with. My tumor was only 2-3 cm from the anus. Please feel free to ask me any questions. It has been a long haul for me and my family.

Not to say the others on this board don't have A LOT to offer as well. We seem to have more colon cancer survivors than rectal cancer, but you will find that everyone here is VERY knowledgeable and have much to offer from their own experiences.

Again, Welcome.

Regards,
CancerDad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2006, 06:49 AM   #3
(male)

searfomt HB User
Re: Stage II - Started Chemo & Radiation - Heavy Bleeding on BM's

Thanks Cancer Dad. I'm 48 y/o and thought that I was young, you must have felt as though you were hit by a Mack Truck at 33 y/o; I couldn't imagine. Your handel is Cancer Dad, therefore, I assume you have childern and at 33 they must be young. They bring lots of joy in their life's accomplishments. You have a lot to look forward to.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to discuss it with the Doc today. I just had the home nurse put the pump back on and she said to mention that I have cloting to the doc today).

Thanks Again and best of health,

Closed Thread