It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

kathleen0604 HB User
ostomy pouch

Hi -- Newbie here....My brother just had operation and his insurance will not cover the ostomy pouch he needs. He was told supplies will cost $600 per month out of pocket. Does anyone have this pouch and is it covered? If not, where is the best place to purchase? Thanks

Old 05-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User
Re: ostomy pouch

Yikes...I get mine through a catalog given to me by my ET nurse. I would ask them for any info. They are very knowledgable in all things ostomy. I am very fortunate to have my supplies covered by insurance. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
(female)

kathleen0604 HB User

Thank you and good luck to you.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

$600 a month!!!. No way. I have a permanent colostomy and I spend about $700 a year. (Canadian)

a box of 10 wafers is $65
a box of 20 pouchs seems to me is about the same so call that $200 for 20 changes.
You can get 6-7 days between changes so if we use 6 days that's 60 changes per year which means about $600 a year. Add to that your paste and the few times that you have to change sooner than 6 days(happens sometimes) and it comes to $700 a year.

Even if it gets a little out of hand I can't see it being over $1000 a year let alone $600 a month.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:51 PM   #5
(female)

West Coast Girl HB User

When I first had my ostomy I was trying everything on the market and paying for it myself. Even with buying all the bells and whistles the most I spent that first year was $1200. (CAD). I usually get 6-7 days wear time and figure it costs me around $15/week on the high side now. Please check around to all the suppliers - internet too - as there are some large variances in pricing. Google ostomy supplies and many names come up. One good one I found was Parthenon on Salt Lake City.

Last edited by West Coast Girl; 05-17-2006 at 07:53 PM.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
(male)

osage HB User

FYI...I was getting 5-7 days out of a wafer as well after surgery...however...now on chemo and I find that 3-4 days works the best in avoiding sores around the stoma...my insurance is covering everything...but even if it didn't...I don't mess around...when I feel the irritation starting...I change it. Your post didn't mention if adjuvant chemo treatment is in the picture...it's pretty caustic on the skin...Also...I have a temporary ( I hope) Ileostomy...probably a perm. colostomy is different regarding tendancy for leakage and development of sores. Good luck!

Last edited by osage; 05-17-2006 at 09:06 PM.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

Yes, a colostomy, especially like mine which is a sigmoid colostomy, will pass less digestive fluids than an ileostomy and those digestive fluids will cause skin problems. A little Milk of Magnesia in the pouch will help and pouring a little on the stoma and peristomal skin (and then rinsing it off) when changing the wafer will help with the sores. Making sure that the wafer opening is correct size and the use of paste and/or Eakin seals will also help keep these fluids off the skin.

When I change my wafer I remove it then step into the shower and use the hand held shower head to rinse off the stoma and peristomal area. this way I am sure to get the area clean. I also have to shave the skin near the stoma since I am a hairy fella and this is much easier to do in the shower. If something comes out while I am in the shower then I just wash it down the drain. The flow of warm water over the skin feels good too. I towel off while still standing in the shower and watch to make sure nothing is coming out when I get out of the shower. I immediatly go to the sink and prepare the new wafer, pat dry the peristomal skin with paper towel and I have a paper towel on the counter right in front of me while I lean against the counter. If there is output it will fall onto the paper towel. When the skin is dry I place the wafer on and hold it in place for 60 seconds then snap the pouch on.

Making sure the skin is dry is paramount in getting a long wear time. You can use a hair dryer on LOW to aid in this. If using paste on the wafer let it dry a bit before placing the wafer on the skin as the paste may contain alcohol that can sting.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
(female)

kathleen0604 HB User

Thank you to all for the valuable information. My family and I are all new to this and since the insurance is not covering "disposal" supplies, we were worried. Any advice is so helpful and I will pass everything on to my brother. Thank you and good health to all.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
(male)

osage HB User

Jaydees...your procedure(s) are identical to what I do...right down to the Milk of Mag & paper towels in front of the sink, etc. Cutting the exact hole for my ileostomy is a little tricky because of the loop pulled out as well with the stoma...kind of a funny oval situaltion. Question though regarding using paste...I have some but haven't used it thinking it might be hard to remove when changing the wafer ...is that true? Could you be very specific as to how you use the paste...do you lay a small bead down 1st around the stoma or do you apply the bead to the underside of the wafer? Do you cut the openning just slightly larger so the paste squeezes upward and then smooth the paste on the topside of the wafer around the stoma? What's the besy way to remove the paste...I'm using a wipe called uni-solv to remove the prep coating....will that help...with hot water as well...what ever you can offer is appreciated!! Thanks!

Last edited by osage; 05-18-2006 at 12:22 PM.

Closed Thread