It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
(female)

SheilaK HB User
Question How Can This Be Stage IV,When Colonoscopy was NORMAL?

Dad diagnosed w/colon cancer May 15,stage IV,w/mets to liver and lung. We are confused after colonoscopy done Tuesday showed no tumor, no mass, no cancer,no polyps,etc, but a very NORMAL colon.
Biopsies taken from the liver May 1st, cause this was where alot showed up on scans, so we thought it was liver cancer. Oncologist tells us its colon cancer on May 15th. Is it possible?
Would appreciate anyones input. Have not gotten to talk to oncologist after this latest, although the Dr. who did the colonoscopy called, left his findings and forwarded all info. This may change what chemo plan the doc had in mind, but Dad has not started it yet.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Re: How Can This Be Stage IV,When Colonoscopy was NORMAL?

Sheila:
I am VERY SORRY for your Dad's diagnosis.

As for his diagnosis... it IS possible, unlikely, but possible, that a GI may have missed colon cancer when performing a colonoscopy if your Dad had an incomplete cleansing of the bowel. Other than that, I cannot think of ANY other reason WHY a colonoscopy would not come reveal colon cancer... unless it's in the small bowel, but that's NOT colon cancer. I would be asking questions about how this could have been missed. Ask to see pictures of anything that may have been suspicious during the colonoscopy and any biopsy results taken. Make certain he gets a PET scan to be certain that it spread from the colon... did he have colon cancer previously that he was treated for? If so, that would explain the met. Did he EVER have surgery on his bowel where he may have neglected to tell you he had cancer?

Just food for thought. Keep us posted please, and good luck.
~CancerDad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
(female)

SheilaK HB User

Thanks ~CancerDad for your response ! Dad had a complete cleansing of colon prior to this. 8 months ago he had his first colonoscopy in which they found a polyp, biopsied it and found nothing, it was benign.
And am unsure what you mean by something missed in small bowel, and if so, then thats not colon cancer...then what would that be?
The written findings told and written for us after this last colonoscopy was :
"Colon was normal. The ILEOCECAL Valve and Tunnel was normal. No polyps, no mass,no cancer. The valve and end of small bowel also normal".
My brother thinks it possibly is not on inside of colon, but the outside and its not showing up doing this colonoscopy!!?????
He has no surgeries except for tonsils many many years ago.
Appreciate your input.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Sheila:
Colorectal cancers DO NOT grow that way... from the outside in. Histologically, they just DON'T. So, I'm a bit baffled.

What I meant by the small intestine is he may have cancer in the small intestine, where the colonoscope does not reach. It' not nearly as common, and is NOT referred to as colon cancer. Colorectal Cancer is ANYWHERE along the large intestine or rectum-- Cecum (including the appendix), Ascending Colon, Transverse Colon, Descending Colon, Sigmoid Colon, and Rectum. Cancer of the Small intestine would include the Duodenum, Jejunum, or Ilium.

If he does indeed have colorectal cancer, where are they telling you the cancer is located? I'm a little suspicious of that "polyp" that was removed 8 months ago... I'm wondering if they got it all and if perhaps it was precancerous... it's just 8 months is a VERY short time for him to develop a met to his liver. Typically Colorectal cancers are slow growing and not very aggressive. Ask for a pathology and histology report of that polyp that was removed 8 months ago, and ask the doctor specifically WHERE the cancer is in the Colon, and whether he will require a resection... it doesn't make sense that he wouldn't need a resection of his large intestine if he had/has Colorectal Cancer with Mets.

I would demand a PET scan too... Either someone is not telling you something or his doctor is incompetent. It just doesn't add up. I think the cancer originated somewhere else and spread to his liver... and the primary cancer needs to be taken care of too.

Good luck,
CancerDad

Old 05-25-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
(female)

SheilaK HB User

Thanks again CancerDad. Definitely will be asking these questions. The first consult we had on May 15, the Dr already had presumed Dad would have his first chemo treatment, and that was without us even knowing what kind of Ca he had. We had been under the assumption it was liver from what all the in hospital docs were saying, then to get to this consult and find out something different. Of course my Dad refused treatments right after this consult, and I think it was for the best as these latest findings come to light.

So will keep you updated, and sincerely appreciate your taking the time to read and respond
SheilaK

Old 05-30-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
(female)

tweety2unes HB User

I have to disagree with the small intestine, My Dad had primary colon cancer , it was in the small intestine , which btw is longer then the large intestine..which 5 yrs later after they said was all gone, died from secondary brain cancer, it had come back to the small intestine and spread to his brain..calling it secondary Brain Cancer..
My Dad died May 19th 2002..

Old 05-30-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
(female)

SheilaK HB User

Thank You Tweet2unes for your input! We are still baffled as of yet, no reply from oncologist regarding the colonscopy's outcome of negative for anything. He has not had an upper or lower GI, but maybe this is coming?
In the meantime it has been a month since cancer diagnosis and no game plan in the works for this latest finding.
My dad is having an CT Angiogram Wednesday for the right carotid artery to see if surgery is necessary as he had a mini stroke late April, which is when they discovered the cancer. So his immediate concern is NOT having another stroke more severe!! The vascular surgeon was surprised at his insistence about having surgery to clear any blockage, as he should be more worried about the cancer doing him in, before another stroke would.....
So we wait for outcome of test tomorrow, and hopefully can get some answers from oncologist while we're there!!!
Thanks for writing

Old 05-31-2006, 02:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Hi all

thought i would post this link to excellent site. you can look up the difference between small bowel cancer and Bowel cancer (colon and rectum)
so hopefully it might help answer some of your questions. Also gives great info for latest treatments available (via NHS in Gt Brittain). Hope it helps.

[url]http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Cancertype[/url]

regards
ktee

Closed Thread