It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
(female)

amb1975 HB User
Post Stage 3 Opinions Please

Hello..

My mum was diagnosed yesterday with Stage 3 colon cancer.

I have been reading the posts and was armed with questions regarding her biopsy and PET scan. However they flew out the window when the Dr told us that the tumour in her bowel (left side) had spread to the tissue in her pelvis and hip and also to lymphnodes on the right side. The Tumour is extremely close to a major blood vessel.

He told us that it was incurable and inoperable...

My mum has only her left kidney so he said radiation is out of the question and that they will try and control the cancer with chemo.

I guess I am not really sure what opinions i want... Does this sound like Stage 3 or perhaps Stage 4? ... um but if anyone can please answer, thank you

Blessings to you all

amb1975

Old 08-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

bossan HB User
Re: Stage 3 Opinions Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb1975
Hello..

My mum was diagnosed yesterday with Stage 3 colon cancer.

I have been reading the posts and was armed with questions regarding her biopsy and PET scan. However they flew out the window when the Dr told us that the tumour in her bowel (left side) had spread to the tissue in her pelvis and hip and also to lymphnodes on the right side. The Tumour is extremely close to a major blood vessel.

He told us that it was incurable and inoperable...

My mum has only her left kidney so he said radiation is out of the question and that they will try and control the cancer with chemo.

I guess I am not really sure what opinions i want... Does this sound like Stage 3 or perhaps Stage 4? ... um but if anyone can please answer, thank you

Blessings to you all

amb1975
I was diagnosed last year, stage iv rectal with mets to liver and abdomen, declared incurable, I'm 46. The surgeon said I had 2 months...You can look up my posts and see what has happened sense. I'm not alone, read others stories. I'd consult another doctor, its treatable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Amb1975:
Your mum has mets to her bone(hip) and tissue surrounding as well as lymph nodes... she is Stage 4. I am sorry for her diagnosis, and I am sorry you were not prepared for this scenario. As I'm sure you have read, we are here for you-- for comfort, to answer your questions, or just to listen. PLEASE don't hesitate to post specifics about your mum and ask for an opinion. I appreciate that you read earlier posts, but we often post again and again information regarding scenarios where we had JUST posted for another person and the person did not read it. In some cases we may point you to that posting, or repost specific to your case, repeating much of the information we already posted.

So, please don't hesitate to ask. Ok? That is why we are here. And by the way, Welcome. I'm sorry for our meeting like this though.

Your mum needs surgery, not just palliative care. And deserves to have an oncologist who BELIEVES IN HER, and BELIEVES IN HER HEALING. I would be consulting with another oncologist, and speaking with a colorectal and orthopedic surgeon (for her hip). Make sure she has proper pain control... bone cancer can be VERY, VERY painful for most.

I wish your mom the best of luck. She should be able to move swiftly through the system, with my understanding of the health system in Austrailia, since she is truly a stage 4.

Warm Regards,
CancerDad

Old 08-24-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
(female)

amb1975 HB User

Thank you so much for responding..

I felt the dr wasnt being 100% truthfull with his diagnosis...

I am not sure if it is in the hip bone or tissue around the hip, not sure if it makes a difference.

The dr explained why they cant take the tumour out but why cant they take the lymph nodes out that have cancer?? He said there was no point as the chemo would take care of that... I would have thought the less cancer in her body the better.

I am scared for my mum she is my best friend...

I have requested all medical reports and test results so that I can be more informed.

Thank you again, its very comforting to be able to share my feelings and fears with those who know.

amb1975

Closed Thread