It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
(female)

trish2 HB User
Unhappy Terrible pain and very anxious

Hello everyone,

I am an almost 37 yr old with two beautiful daughters and a terrific husband.

I am going crazy with pain and anxiety at the moment. I have read these boards over the last week and am very impressed with all of the knowledge and support given to each other here. I thought I would add my story and see if anyone had any advice or thoughts that they could share with me.

Back in April, I had lower, left quadrant pain begin and within a few days, I was in terrible pain with a very localized tenderness above my pelvic bone.
I could not sleep on my stomach, bend over or wear pants with a tight waist.
Also had night sweats and a low grade fever. I had varying degrees of constipation and diahrrea. Although, I have had these complaints for a few years.

I went to see my family doctor and immediately durng the exam he dx diverticulitis. He prescribed Flagyl and Avelox and sent me for a STAT CT scan / barium enema at the hospital. It showed numerous areas of diverticulitis/inflammation. Within 3 days of beginning the meds, I felt 80% better. Within a week, I was healed completely. Or so I thought...

The end of June, the left sided abdominal pain began again without the tenderness, went back to Dr. and he again prescribed antibiotics. They seemed to help a bit but did not take the pain or bowel issues completely away. I went out of town for more than 3 weeks and the pain continued.
I have an extremely busy life and just put the pain to the back of my mind until a few weeks ago.

The pain has increased quite a bit and it wakes me up at night and the constipation is much worse. I am miserable and so very tired. The pain never ever goes away. I say my doctor a week ago and he prescribed the same meds, hoping it would go away. It has been 6 full days and the pain is there terribly. No change at all. I feel so sick. I am bloated, have ongoing pain with a tiny bit of tenderness. There is a sharp pain to the left of my navel. Sometimes, the pain is by my spine on the back side also.

I have completely convinced myself I have advanced colon cancer. The ct scan in April did say my liver looked ok at that point. I asked my doctor about a colonoscopy but he is unwilling to order it because of rupture if it is diverticulitis. He is planning on another ct scan if the meds do not help. I am so very scared of cancer and leaving my children. I did have a colonoscopy n 2002 due to bad bouts of diahrrea; they were no biopsies done nor any poylps found. The GI did not want to perform it and I think it was done very carelessly.

I have read that sometimes Divertculitis is mis dx when in actuality it is colon cancer. During the ct scan, it showed all done my left colon (descending??) but on the scope in 2002, it showed only a few scattered diverticulous.

What are your thoughts?? I cannot keep from crying and worrying. Please help!!

Many blessings
~Trish

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 12:06 AM   #2
(female)

Anders HB User
Re: Terrible pain and very anxious

I am sorry you are having so much pain, My mother had a bad bout with Divertculitis, and it landed her in the hospital. She said it was the worst pain she ever had (surpass the pain associatiated with child birth).

Since you've had a colonoscopy done in 2002, and nothing was found, I believe it's safe to assume you don't have cancer now.

Have they advised any type of diet for you? Certain foods to avoid and certain foods safe to eat?

My mother had to be put in the hospital, went several days with out food while they loaded her up with antibotics. That was how they treated her, then sent her home with a new diet. this was about 15 yrs ago.

You may want to consider getting a second opinion, if your current doctor is unable to get this under control. May want to get a 2nd opinion either way simply because another doctor may have options available.

Please post back and let us know how you're feeling. Hope you are able to get relief soon. I know thru my mother this can be VERY PAINFUL!!!

Good luck,

Lee

Old 09-11-2006, 05:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

Hi Trsh, I am so sorry to hear you are in such pain. I can understand the reluctance to do a colonoscopy. I am wondering if a ct/pet scan would be more helpful in diagnosing the problem. I think pet scans can light up for other reasons than cancer but maybe the combination would help to give more accurate information. I can imagine how difficult it is to live with the anxiety along with constant pain and hope they find the reason for your problems very soon. Do keep us posted.

Love and prayers,

Old 09-11-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User

Have you seen a gynecologist? Your left sided sharp pains could be coming from an ovarian cyst, especially if they increase and abate somewhat and seem to follow a monthly cycle. A sonogram of your pelvic area would show if there are any cysts. It is possible to have more than one condition at a time. You could have both diverticulosis and ovarian or pelvic cysts.

Good Luck.
Leslie

Old 09-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
(female)

trish2 HB User

Thank you all for replying with your kind words and thoughts.

I spoke with my Family Dr. yesterday and he referred me to the GI doc who I do not really care for very much. He is one of the best in the area but a little too arrogant for me to feel comfortable with...

I have spoken to his private nurse several times since yesterday. The Dr. wants me to have another abdomen/pelvic CT scan with rectal contrast (I hate it!). He wants me to do another 2 week round of Flagyl and Avelox and he wants to do an exam/consult after the CT scan results are faxed to his office. Only problem is that the hospital cannot fit me in for the CT scan until next week. He wants it me to have it at the same place as the scan in May so the reports can be compared. The nurse said as long as I stay on the antibiotics, it is alright t wait...

I am in so much pain. I feel so very tired and cannot sleep. I am taking Percocet that I have left from May but it does not take away the pain.
I am going to post a different post regarding this but I will mention it here also. Did anyone here have really terrible pain that lasts and lasts after a bowel movement? (whether it is diahrrea, constipation or normal)I seem to alternate between all 3. I am to the point where it is terrible pain after I have a BM. I have went 3 times this afternoon and am now almost doubled over w/ pain.

His nurse says he does not feel a colonoscopy is necessary because I had one in 2002. What do you all think? I am still very afraid this could be colon cancer. Does this sound like CC?

Any thoughts and prayers are really appreciated.

~Trish

PS. I at one time also thought the was GYN related because I have a histry of cysts but my GYN said that I am experiencing colon pain and referred me back to my FP. The CT scan 4 onths ago showed a small follicular cyst on the opposite side of my pain.

Last edited by trish2; 09-12-2006 at 03:20 PM.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
(female)

TomsGirl2you HB User

Hi Trish
Sometimes if you have established the diagnosis of diverticulitis it can progress into an abcess (localized infection). This can cause quite a bit of pain, but typically you will run an elevated temperature and feel sick (flu-like symptoms). I agree with your MD to get a CT scan first. Doing a colonoscopy at this point would be risky (perforation and infection issues). Hope you feel better soon!

Closed Thread