It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
(female)

cinda HB User
pale colored stool

I noticed this weekend (on Saturday and Sunday) that my stool was very pale in color- like a really light clay-color, as opposed to a normal brown- almost like I had a CT scan and was expelling barium, which I hadn't.

I don't think there was any major change in my diet (though I was away for the weekend), but on Friday I had something of a stomach bug, and was sick to my stomach all morning. I had a light lunch and dinner Friday, and then ate normally on Saturday. I haven't had a bowel movement yet today (monday), so I don't know if it's gone back to normal, but is this something I should be worried about (ie, call my doctor about)?

Some history- diagnosed with rectal cancer at 27, had an LAR last fall, finished chemo in April and had a colonoscopy on September 6th (all clear!).

Old 09-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
(female)

bmccrea HB User
Re: pale colored stool

Hi

A month or 2 after my colon resectioning surgery I had a couple of days of light colored stools and freaked out. Talked to my CRS's nurse and she said it was normal. Probably ate something light colored, which I did.

Also, my son has been complaining of pain in the gall bladder region and his stools have been lighter than normal. I think a gall bladder problem may be a sign too. Try looking it up in Web MD, or a symptom site.

I hope it will clear up and you will be fine.

BAMc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User

Hi Cinda,

I am glad that your colonoscopy was clear! Yeah for you! I'm not sure what the stool thing is about... Maybe wait a couple of days and see if it gets better...or give a call to your GI office if it is worrying you.

Hope that things are going well for you otherwise...

Take care,
Cats

Old 09-19-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
(female)

TomsGirl2you HB User

Light clay colored stools can also be a sign of a liver ailment. If they continue to stay light or you notice jaundice ( yellowing of the skin and eyes) please contact your MD.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
(female)

cheer up HB User

Hey Cinda -- I'm joining your "club" -- noticed the same pale color deal myself the past few days. Nothing I can think of, either, except I have eaten in a couple of restaurants since Friday instead of just at home. You never know. I doubt your issue has anything to do with your previous problems.

I don't think we need to be concerned -- color, etc., can change due to whatever we ingest. I had the frequent very pale stool problem and other problems, too, before having my gall bladder out. But it's gone two years and I still see this color change on occasion. Consistency changes too, of course. Nothing will be the same every day -- there will always be change. You (or we) could also have a "bug" and you said you felt ill.

Numerous people are really sick now due to the spinach problems re e-coli. I wouldn't be shocked to hear more than spinach is affected. These things just happen -- I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinda
I noticed this weekend (on Saturday and Sunday) that my stool was very pale in color- like a really light clay-color, as opposed to a normal brown- almost like I had a CT scan and was expelling barium, which I hadn't.

I don't think there was any major change in my diet (though I was away for the weekend), but on Friday I had something of a stomach bug, and was sick to my stomach all morning. I had a light lunch and dinner Friday, and then ate normally on Saturday. I haven't had a bowel movement yet today (monday), so I don't know if it's gone back to normal, but is this something I should be worried about (ie, call my doctor about)?

Some history- diagnosed with rectal cancer at 27, had an LAR last fall, finished chemo in April and had a colonoscopy on September 6th (all clear!).

Old 09-19-2006, 06:47 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User

Cinda, in my not medical opinion, I would think it is related to the "bug" you had. I have found since surgery the color will change depending on what food I ate. When I sit and eat half a jar of dry roasted nuts at night, I know what color to expect for the next few days. Maybe it has something to do with the shortened bowel.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #7
(female)

cinda HB User

thanks everyone I seem to be getting back to normal, so maybe it was just my nasuea, and lack of real food afterwards.

you're all very calming! hugs!!

cinda

Closed Thread