It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
(male)

impactzone HB User
What should I eat during chemo?

I assume lots of water and protein but I get conflicting messages. I will be on it 3 months and then hopefully go in for liver surgery. Protein from eggs, ensure, chicken?
suggestions?
Thanks
impactzone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: What should I eat during chemo?

I would say a good balanced diet and anything you and your system can tolerate. You may get some diarrhoea so bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast will be good at those times. And don't forget immodium can help with diarrhoea if it happens, so you are only looking at a couple of hours of it each cycle. Your taste buds may well be affected too so it might be a matter what you feel like eating. Try to eat something though to keep up your strength.

Lots and lots of water!!! Cannot stress that enough! Dehydration can make you feel awful and is easily remedied. Gatorade if you get diarrhoea is good too.

Don't forget to let your doctor know of any concerns you have while on chemo....there are meds for most of the possible side effects.

Love and prayers,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

As to the Immodium, get the doctor to write a presrciption for the generic form of it. It will be waaaay cheaper and you may be able to get a few dozen tablets for the price of 8 brand name Immodium tablets.

Its loperimide (or loperamide)

Old 10-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
(female)

Anders HB User

Impactzone,

Drink lots and lots of water a day or two before each treatment. Eat healthy when you can, just eat what sounds appealing when on chemo. I would recommend eating several small meal though out the day rather then 3 meal when on chemo. Eggs sound very good.

Plan on taking it easy when on chemo. I would look at it like, week on (chemo) and week off. The week off you should be able to resume normal activities.

Lee

Old 10-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: What should I eat during chemo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactzone
I assume lots of water and protein but I get conflicting messages. I will be on it 3 months and then hopefully go in for liver surgery. Protein from eggs, ensure, chicken?
suggestions?
Thanks
impactzone

You have asked a very good question. It is so important to eat adequate protein while undergoing chemo, the best person to ask is a registered dietician who can develop a diet plan specifically for you taking into account any special restrictions.
It is important to keep well hydrated, and eat enougn fiber to prevent constipation. You will tolerate the chemo better if you are not nutritionally depleted. Please ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician so you can have the best response to treatment.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:50 AM   #6
(female)

smily24 HB User

Hello well I think you should eat lots of fruits and vegtables.Vitamin C is full of antioxidents which will protect your cells.You have to boost your immune system so your body can fight and get stronger.Green tea and black tea will help your body fight and protect itself from cancer.Dark green vegtables are full of nutrients and is very powerfull.I havent got a cold or been sick for about six years now.Before I ate natural things I used to get sick all of the time.It will be good for you before and afther chemo.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
(male)

tahb HB User

As everybody said. Lots of water. Water, Water, Water. Also sipping water all the time including night helped me alot. Rinsing/gargling with salt and baking soda helped to keep mouth sores away and maintain some level of taste in taste buds.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Hi there

Husband had oxaliplatin/5fu/leucrovin.

He was advised to minimise risk of any infections as his immune system was v.low during chemo. The risk factors also included what he ate...... so he had to eliminate exposure to bacteria found in the following

raw vegetables
raw salads
raw fruit (including fresh fruit drinks)
raw meat
eggs
live yoghurt
cultured cheese
beer containing yeast

Leaving out all the above sounds like a recipe for a poor diet but actually he did really well. He had the chemo between colon and liver resection ops and had already lost about a third of body weight so it was important to try and build him up a bit.

I made him a lot of stews and casseroles which he loves anyway. I would make up extra and then whizz the leftovers into soup for the following days lunch. Grilled meats with baked potatoes was another favourite. Any veg had to be fairly well done but this suited his diet anyway as he gets the trots if he eats anything underdone.

Hope this helps.

Oh, he also did the salt mouth wash thing and he never got any mouth sores.

regards
ktee

Old 10-05-2006, 05:23 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User

Eat whatever feels right - just beware that you may not want to have it again for a while... I ate a LOT of boiled potatoes and carrots - fork mashed. I also had a ***arre craving for bread and butter pickles, warm tang (couldn't have any cold stuff), and one brand of baked bbq potato chips... I also had an addiction to cucumbers when on Xeloda... steamed rice worked well also, and helps w/diarrhea.

I would try to go for the protien, but in reality, if you are experiencing nausea, just eat what you can - but of course - as everyone says - KEEP HYDRATED!

Good luck,
Cats

Closed Thread