It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
(female)

trish2 HB User
Frustrated and confused re: colonoscopy

Hello all,

I haven't posted in awhile due to computer issues and the fact that my last post caused a bit of controversy. I really appreciate everyone's responses on that thread and I really could see everyone's piont of view. The last thing I would want to happen though, is to get people upset with each other; this is such a wonderful, positive board.

On to my frustration, it has not been easy to get the drs. to listen to me (they thought it was diverticulitis for months) and it was even harder to get the colonoscopy scheduled. It is finally scheduled for next Monday. (Oct 30)

Well, I have been going back and forth with my internist, hematologist and gastro doc about my Coumadin usage. I take Coumadin for a blood clotting
disorder. I have had 2 cerebral venous thrombosis' (2 blood clots in the brain)
My blood levels are kept very thin due to the disorder, even higher than heart patients. All the docs have varying opinions on colonoscopies and Coumadin usage.

I spoke with the gastro doc's nurse early this morning and she said he does not want me to stop the Coumadin. I asked her if it would be possible to take biopsies or remove polyps while I was still on Coumadin. Her comment upset me and confused me. She said " No, if he needed to do a biopsy at this time, he would not be able to." WHAT? Why are we even doing the colonoscopy??
What if they find a polyp?? Would I need another colonoscopy? It seems totally pointless to even have this one on Monday. I questioned his nurse and she said she was just relaying his message to me.

I have a call in to my hematologist to ask about the Lovenox injections to replace the COumadin but I do not believe I will even have enough time to start the injections.

I really, really need this test and answers. I know he will find something.
My symptoms seem to be increasing and I am miserable. I am finding it hard to leave my house, socialize or do daily functions. My energy level is way, way down, I am just so fatigued. The rectal pressure is increasing and is almost non-stop. It feels like pressure/pulling. Almost like a golf ball is being pushed up. I am having BMs 6-8 times a day. Some very thin, some semi- normal. A few with blood streaks.I almost always feel like I have not completed a BM. Some very sticky, some diaherrea. The lower left abdominal pain is there constantly and percocet does not take it away. I am just so sick of being sick. Now top it with worry and fear....Ugh

Anyway, does anyone have thoughts on this colonoscopy without a biopsy. I have never heard of such a crazy thing.

Thanks so much
Trish

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Re: Frustrated and confused re: colonoscopy

Trish:
If I were you, I would involve your hematologist in this. Explain your situation, and see if he feels it is safe for you to have a biopsy or polyp removed if encountered by your GI. Then he should be in touch with your GI to let him know this. Also, maybe he can plan to be there for your colonoscopy. Another option is for him to speak with your GI, then maybe you GI and he can formulate a plan where the GI feels comfortable biopsying... most of the NEWER anti-coagulants or blood thinners have such a short half-life, meaning they stay in your body for such a short time that if you were on something else besides coumadin, maybe your hematologist can get you the same effect, without a chance of you bleeding and make your GI feel comfortable. After all, your hematologist is THE EXPERT on blood clotting.

Just Food for Thought. I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK!

Fondly,
CancerDad

Closed Thread