It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
(female)

trish2 HB User
Did you have rectal pain? and other questions

I am wondering for those of you who have been dx with rectal cancer, whether you actually experienced rectal pain. I know I have read on several
back threads that several people did have pain.

I am having quite a few symptoms, some of which have been happening for more than 6 months but the rectal pain and pressure began about 4 weeks ago. It is always there but with varying degrees of actual pain and pressure. It is not exterior pain as with a hemmoroid but internal and I even have pain at the very bottom curve of my butt cheeks. The pain moves around but the pressure feels like something is being pulled or pressed up into the rectal area and it constant w/ varying degrees of annoyance. Sometimes, I feel as though, it is even tugging at the vagina area. When I pass gas which is a terrible symptom I have been having, it feels like it has to push out and like it comes out in a ball shape. I know this sounds gross but none of this is normal for me. Too much info, sorry.

Also, if this happens to be rectal cancer, did anyone have abdominal pain with it. The abdominal pain is what began this whole nightmare and never ever goes away. It is in the lower left quadrant. I am assuming if it is rectal CA and not colon CA, I would not be having abdominal pain. I also have a burning, sharp pain next to my spine on the left side. I started having this last year and it would last a day or so and then fade away only to come back a few days later. Along w/ these (intestinal) symptoms, this pain has spread and increased. Of course, my paranoid, pessimistic thoughts go to spread of cancer to the spine. Sigh...Any thoughts, anyone?

I feel like my posts irritate some of you and if that is the case, then I am so sorry. I do not wish to intrude especially since I am waiting on a dx.

These symptoms are just consuming my life and are quite overwhelming for me. My wonderful husband who is always extremely supportive and also is my very best friend seems to be ignoring how I feel physically and emotionally. He does not want me to talk about my symptoms and he prefers to just ignore how bad I feel. I know this is his way of coping when he is worried but I still have no one to vent my worries and questions to so I am very aprrecitative of everyone's support and input here. My husband likes to think if you ignore something, it will go away. I have trouble understanding that because I face things/problems head on. My family all say I am too young for Colon Ca which I am very well aware that is an uneducated opinion on the subject of colon Ca.

Thanks again for listening,
~Trish

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
(female)

Anders HB User
Re: Did you have rectal pain? and other questions

trish,

First I want to say you are not annoying me (or anyone else that I am aware of). I was diagnosed with rectal cancer 2 1/2 yrs ago, and if I can help anyone that may be concerned I AM MORE THAN HAPPY TO.

As to your questions, I had no pain. My only sympton was rectal bleeding which my doctor confirmed was due to hemorrids. All my blood work was good, the only reason my doctor sent me to the GI doctor is because of my rectal bleeding, he thought this would be a good excuse to get my baseline colonoscopy early in life. At the age of 46, I was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer (no history of it in my family).

While I did have some back pain. I've had this pain off and on for the past 20+ yrs. It is worse since my surgery. Prior to my surgery, I could bend my back for several mins before discomfort set in. Today, I've got 10 secs or less before discomfort sets in (just long enough to pick something up). I don't believe this was a symptom for me. I believe my back pain is worse today, bacause my stomach muscles are shot as a result of my surgery.

I'm wondering if you're discribing some type of a hemerroid. Once my mother was admitted to the ER for sever abdominal pain. A colonoscopy confirmed she had a bad case of divertriculis. I'm not sure of your age, but I would recommend getting a colonoscopy and not settling for anything less that than. A colonoscopy should determine your problem. Give your husband time, until you know the cause of your problems, everything suspected is just speculation.

Hope this helps, if I can help more, let me know.

Good luck.

Lee

Old 10-26-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
(female)

Jeni61 HB User

I had a ton of pain, and for months too. It went from pretty uncomfortable to unbearable. My tumor is low in my rectum, where a lot of nerves are.

My pain disappeared by about the 2nd or 3rd day of my chemo/radiation - just disappeared. Now I get a little achy in the area, but not much, and I know that can be not just the tumor but the radiation thing.

The achiness is occasional and minor.

But the pain before was like sitting on a glass cowboy boot.

I took it as a good sign that my tumor had shrunk, and three drs have done Digital rectal exams and have confirmed the radiation shrunk it considerably.

So you may find a lot of comfort and relief when treatment starts.

Jeni

Old 10-26-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
(female)

Annie57 HB User

I was dx with rectal cancer 2 1/2 years ago. For about six months before dx I had pain if I sat down too long. It felt like I had been sitting on something. I also had a pain that felt like a spasam in my rectum. I never thought much about it. this got worse and the pain began to wake me up at night.

I had some rectal bleeding on and off for about 6 months. Just before dx I started getting a sort of sick feeling in my pelvic area. Hard to describe.

I never had a lot of pain. Until you receive a dx try and not stress too much. Symptoms vary in many people and pain does not always mean you have cancer. Bleeding and pain can come from manyother problems.

Take care

Old 10-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Trish:
Looking back I notice other symptoms... as they say hindsight is 20/20. I experienced weird sensations and increasing discomfort in my rectum three to four months prior to my diagnosis. I had more and more bleeding, mixed with clots and mucus, and increased number of bowel movements a day. I was also fatigued, and experienced bloating. EVERYBODY is different though and has different experiences.

I hope this helps.

Good luck, and PLEASE DON'T EVER think you are annoying or bothering us with your questions. However we can support you to help you through, we are happy to help.

I wish you ALL the BEST.

Fondly,
CancerDad

Old 10-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
(female)

trish2 HB User

Thanks everyone for your replies. I so appreciate everyone's opinions and comments. My husband has been out of town this week, so I have felt very lonely while waiting for the Monday colonoscopy appt. Alone, very worried and very sick with symptoms. Passed a bit more blood this morning and the pain after BMs is really increasing. It is such a sick, achy feeling. I have been driving a lot today and the rectal area is hurting quite a bit. I am assuming this is from sitting a lot. The lower left quadrant pain is never ending. i cannot sleep because of it. Blah..I am just a big mess. Thanks so much for listening to me while I whine, complain and worry.

I am terrified, absolutely terrified of the results of this test but yet just cannot wait for it to happen. Strange, huh?

Have a Happy Weekend!
~Trish

Old 10-27-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Trish:
I know you cannot take asipirin or advil or any non-steroidal anti inflammatory because of the colonoscopy Monday. However, please know that this DOES NOT apply to tylenol, which does not thin your blood like this rest and is Perfectly safe to take for pain relief. Also, if the pain is THAT bad, call the doctor on call. Maybe it's your GI. Tell him/her you are in excrutiating pain and can't sleep at at night. Ask them for some Tylenol with coedine. OR if you have a good General doc, or OB/GYN, you could try them as well if one resuses to prescribe. Just a thought.

I wish you the very best, and please come back and tell us the results.

Fondly.
CancerDad

Old 10-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #8
(female)

Anders HB User

Trish,

I'm pass this along to maybe help ease your fears. Many yrs ago my mother was admitted into the ER hospital due to several abdominal pain. She also had rectal bleeding and other symtoms They scheduled a colonoscopy, she was diagnosed with a bad case of divertricolus, they never found a poylp in her. She had never had this before, and this was the only she ever had it. My point to this, your smptoms could be caused by many things other than cancer. Until your colonoscopy, everything else is just speculation. While I know this is easier said than done, try not to worry too much about it.

Good luck, let us know your results.

Lee

Closed Thread