It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
(female)

jen0816 HB User
34 year going through tests

Hi Everyone,

A month or so ago, I started passing mucous (just mucous) no movement. There has on occasion been a bit of blood. I have pain (not cramping, but pain in my rectum/anus area). when I do have a BM but sometimes don't go for 4-5 days. When I do, sometimes the BMs are normal looking, sometimes they are loose with lots of mucous. Point being...I am scared. My doctor ran blood tests...everything was normal. He also had me do stool samples and so far all those have been normal. I believe the next step is a colonoscopy. Has anyone else had these types of sypmtoms and if so, what was the diagnosis?

Thank you in advance for any advice and support you can give me.

Last edited by jen0816; 11-10-2006 at 09:53 AM.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:07 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: 34 year going through tests

I have had mucus problems for a couple years with bowel movements. I have been diagnosed with IBS. Its impossible to accurately diagnose bowel problems without a sigmoidscopy or colonoscopy. That is quite a bit of constipation but that is normal for some people. Large/hard bowel movements due to constipation can irritate the skin and cause bleeding. Usually if you see consistent blood with or in bowel movements, it's a good idea to go ahead and get the colonoscopy. There are many other things that cause blood/mucus like Irritable bowel syndrome (blood is rare), Chrons disease, Ulcerative colitis, benign polyps, and Hemorrhoids, among other things. If your doctor tries to give you a quick diagnosis based on symptoms and you don't agree, insist on a colonscopy. Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Re: 34 year going through tests

I second that... given the fact that you are having bleeding alone warrants a colonoscopy. If you are constipated for a while, there is a good chance that you have a motility issue, and may also have a polyp/s that get irritated together with the wall of the colon and cause bleeding-- either from the wall itself, or possibly a polyp/s.

In any event, it is irrelevant how many times you have had bleeding... you have had it, and that requires further investigation.

In your case, it does sound like a motility or IBS situation. But the possibility for a polyp/s (benign or malignant--cancer) exists, so the sooner caught the better the prognosis. I don't tell you this to scare you, rather to inform you so that together you can make a decision with your Gastroenterologist whether to have a colonoscopy.

Personally, I would go for one in a heartbeat... the biggest pain is the prep. Really it's a small sacrifice to pay (having diarrhea and I guess also the bother of being groggy for a day, having a small stick for an IV for drugs that make you relax, sleep, mostly forget the experience, and feel little or no discomfort). A REALLY small price to pay for the peace of mind of knowing that it's nothing serious and that things can be done to ease your discomfort. Worst case scenario, if it is serious, it truly is best to know NOW rather than later so that it can be caught hopefully in its earliest stages before too much intervention is needed.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Best,
CancerDad

Closed Thread