It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User
Exclamation Colon Cancer remission, but complications, Very Concerned

Hello my friends,

I am posting on this board, not for myself, but for a dear friend. Here is a summary of what has happened:

She was diagnosed with stage 2 Colon Cancer in April of 2005. She recieved radiation and Chemotherapy up until about August I believe. During which she got a severe infection in her kidneys and uterus. Her kidneys were treated and healed, but her uterus had fallen from the infection.

In September, the doctor said the cancer was gone, and they continued on to remove the segment of intestine that was affected, put in an illostomy, and then removed her uterus. They also put in a port. She suffered extreme, extreme pain from this surgery, and was on so much morphine, she didn't even remember anything for over a week.

She started to recover from the first surgery (although still having pain), and they decided to do the surgery to remove the illostomy and port. During that surgery they found that she had gotten a hernia from the first surgery, and didn't find until the second surgery. They fixed that during this second surgery, and she did well. Although still in pain (understandably), she didn't require as much pain medication and was able to go home in just a few days.

We were worried that she had gone home so early, but the doctors said she was ready. A few days later, she began to throw up violently and had a fever. She became so sick that she had to be rushed to the emergency room.

Here is the real problem. It seems there has been a lot of problems with the doctors and nurses, which starts the worst. She did not eat or get a nutrient bag from the 16th to the 21st. The doctors didn't even bother until a friend of the family (a registered nurse) said that it needed to be done. Later, her family recommended doing an endoscopy (which should have been the choice of the doctor, in my opinion). After doing the endoscopy, they found knots all over in her stomach, and her stomach was full of bile.

There continued to be a lack of communication from the doctors. She had a blockage of the intestines, which the doctor just told today, even though he had known for days. Before, he didn't know what was going on (which a nurse admitted), but didn't bother to run any tests.

During her treatment in the hospital, she had to have her IVs changed and redone every day (because of the chemo she had). Her arms had swelled up twice their size and were black and blue up and down. Finally, the friend of the family, again, made a recommendation that maybe they should put in a pick line. They did put in a pick line finally. The other day, a nurse came in to draw blood. She went to draw the blood from her arm, even though she had the pick line. Her family argued this, saying that it could be drawn from the pick line. After the nurse insisted that it could not be done, they found another nurse to do it. When they came back in, the first nurse had already drawn the blood from her arm. The second nurse repremanded her and said that it could've been done if she just came and got her.

My friend is not doing well. She's had to be on morphine again from the pain, and hasn't been staying concious very long..usually only for a few minutes at a time. I'm really concerned that she may not make it if the doctors keep going this route.

How do we get the doctors to listen? Her family has tried and tried and it just doesn't seem to be working. Her doctor is supposed to be the best, but from our standpoint, he's not at all.

What should we do? Anyone ever heard of these complications?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Vers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: Colon Cancer remission, but complications, Very Concerned

I would get her into a different hospital asap. The doctors and nurses just sound plain negligent. If you and her family feel they are not acting in her bests interests please let them know and do not stop until you get your point across. This is her life and well-being we are talking about. I can tell you if she was my family, the nurses and doctors there would hate me. The so called "best doctors" are not always the best ones to go to. It seems most people throw that term around too freely. From my experience the "best doctors" are the ones that aren't too involved in the patient's progress and think everything they say is the final word on the subject. This is all of course just my opinion. It is impossible for me to say what kind of care she is receiving. I think I am just saying if you feel your friend is not getting the best care, seek a second opinion. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

Thanks for the responses,

shnswms,

yes, I agree. I tried talking to the family about it...but they don't want to move her to another hospital...not sure why. Anyway, I've been talking to them and hope they can get the doctors to listen more. I unfortunately have been extremely busy, so most of the updates are coming from her family. When I heard from them yesterday, I nearly cried about the treatment she was recieving.

They've definitely been more stern with the doctors and nurses now. Hopefully we'll be able to get her through this. I was so excited to hear she was in remission...and now it's just getting very frustrating and worrying...

erladyaz,

They had removed the port during the first surgery. I guess they assumed she wouldn't need it anymore. So later, they ended up having to do the picc line.

Other than that, I don't really know a lot about that stuff. I just know that they have been being really ridiculous. We have pictures of the stuff that happened. Hopefully it won't have to be used, but you just never know these days....

Thanks again for the responses.

-Vers

Old 11-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
(female)

Anders HB User

I am so sorry this is happeing to your friend. I tried to post something yesterday but for what reason it did not go thru. Thus will try again.

I agree, get a 2nd opinion or transfer to a different hospital. These person sounds like she has gone thru a lot of needless pain. Was she on pain medicine following her surgeries? If she was not on a nutrient bag I wonder about pain medicine also. How long between surgeries? Why the rush to remove her port? I had mine for 1 1/2 yrs. Has she been walking? They had me up walking the same day as surgery.

I believe had a pick line while in the hospital. I had something in my neck that fed directly into my heart and I got all my medicine thru it. My port was not installed until after I started chemo. My doctor had to fight my insurance to get my port. I believe they are now considered standart procedure. It seems at the lab where I got all my blood drawn, the nurses were not trained to with draw blood from a port, and would do it from the arm only. To get blood drawn from a port meant making an appt at the hospital then wait for the next available nurse. At the lab, it was walk in, no appt necessary and generally not wait.

I hope your friend is on the road to recovery soon.

Lee

Old 08-21-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
(female)

Haily88 HB User

Versailles,

Sounds like your friend needs to be in a different hospital , with professionals that are both competent and compassionate.

If she's incurring that many problems then she needs a family member to be her advocate and seek out the proper care she deserves.

Closed Thread