It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2006, 07:52 AM   #1
(female)

ange'sangels HB User
Question about Avastin

Hi All,
Wishing you all a very happy healthy new year!
I have come here in the past for info because my best friend was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. A brief recap: She had surgery in September during which they removed a large portion of her colon, an ovary, a kidney, appendix, etc. etc. Since early October she has been on chemo (after a recovery period from the major surgery) She is a medical professional, but has so far not been too interested in knowing the details of her own situation. Too much to handle mentally I guess. She is slowly coming around, but not quite read yet.
Anyway, here is my question. Since avastin is nephrotoxic, she has only been receiving 5fu and leucovorin. Her oncologist is antsy to start the avastin, but is making her meet with a nephrologist before allowing her to start. I am so afraid they aren't going to let her use the avastin, and it seems like that is key in knocking down this cancer.
So, have any of you had a kidney removed and used avastin successfully? Any success stories with just one kidney?
Also, the surgeon who completed her surgery stands by that he believes the cancer originated in her appendix, the pathologist apparently disagrees and believes it originated in the colon. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone know how the treatment would be different if the cancer DID originate in her appendix?
Sorry for the ramble. I read here all the time, and think you are an awesome group of people! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Again, Happy New Year. Wishing only the best for each and every one of you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
(female)

ange'sangels HB User
Re: Question about Avastin

I guess this isn't a very common issue to be dealing with huh?

Old 01-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
(female)

hiswife1 HB User

Welcome to the board. Sorry, I don't know the answer to your questions. My dh was on Avastin but he didn't have the kidney issue. Hopefully the kidney doctor will be able to give her the go-ahead on using it. Please let us know how she is doing. dee

Old 01-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
(female)

ange'sangels HB User

Thanks so much for your reply! The nephrologist basically said that she needs the avastin, so they should go for it and monitor protein output (which has been way too high). However, her oncologist has decided they will do a 24 hour urine test and wait at least one more chemo cycle before adding in the avastin. I am very worried about her, and it is very hard to not have any concrete idea of what to expect for her outcome. Thanks for giving me this place to come and learn about what she is going through.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
(female)

hiswife1 HB User

Maybe the oncologist is trying to be very careful and maybe let her protein output straighten out some. It is so hard not to know what is going to happen, but try to take it one day at a time (I know, easier said than done) and just be there to encourage her. Let us know how she does. dee

Closed Thread