It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
(female)

ahs HB User
Extremely High White Blood Cell Count: Possible CC Symptom?

I had surgery to remove my ovary over the summer..about 4 months later, I have started having off and on pain in the same area as the surgery, lower left abdomen. It seems to be more persistent when I am under extreme stress (from my job). I went back to the Dr. who performed surgery, she said everything checks out okay.

I went to my general practicioner last week and after explaining my symptom, they inserted a small instrument in my rectum, asked me if that is similar to what the pain felt like. At the time, I experienced discomfort so I agreed. 15 minutes later I was still in the Dr.'s office and the pain in my abdomen from that procedure became unbearable. Dr. said perhaps it was a tear to some tissue in the colon or something that did not heal from the surgery.

My bloodwork came back today from that Dr. visit. The nurse says my white blood cell count is extremely high indicating inflammation, and wants me to go in for a CT scan Monday.

My question is (finally): Can a high white blood cell count indicate CC?

I have no other symptoms. Everything else is functioning normally. Just the pain in my left side, and now this white blood cell issue. I also had my last colonoscopy 2 1/2 years ago, everything came back normal. I am 49 years old.

Thank you to those who respond, I appreciate your time and opinions.

Last edited by ahs; 03-14-2007 at 01:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
(female)

Brandy Lee HB User
Re: Extremely High White Blood Cell Count: Possible CC Symptom?

I'm assuming they ruled out your appendix?

Anyway, I'm just now seeing your post. Have you gotten any further information? Please do update me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
(male)

westy40 HB User
Re: Extremely High White Blood Cell Count: Possible CC Symptom?

If I am not mistaken... I think it is more common to have anemia which can possibly indicate colon cancer.

How high was your wbc? I had a high wbc for a few years and it eventually just lowered itself, I never found a reason for the elevation. High wbc.. often means an infection or just inflammation... simple things like a cold or even stress will elevate a white blood cell count. If the wbc is super outrageously high then things like leukemia are suspected.
I dont think I would worry to much about colon cancer with regards to an elevated wbc. . Its good that you are having CT and are following your doctors instructions.. since you had a scope done 2 years ago another one may not be needed..

Good luck to you ..

Last edited by westy40; 03-19-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Closed Thread