It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
(female)

Carrie1970 HB User
Can Polyps return?

Hi all,

I had posted about my fiancee back in October. He had blood in his stools, had a colonoscopy, they removed about 4 or 5 polpys. One was quite large, tests came back ok.

About a month ago Ed started seeing the blood again. In the stool and the toilet water, not on the toilet paper. He went to the doctor and they are going to schedule another colonoscopy. He had bloodwork done and all was normal.

We are both a bit nervous. What could make the bleeding start up again? Could polyps come back? Maybe one of the previous ones didnt heal right?

Any advice?

Thanks!!
Carrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
(male)

westy40 HB User
Re: Can Polyps return?

Hi Carrie,

Were any hemorrhoids found on his last colonoscopy? If the answer is yes than that is most likely causing the bleeding. If the answer is no, then he may now have developed hemorrhoids . Other things that may cause bleeding would be any type of inflammatory bowel disease such as ulcerative colitis but if that wasnt noted on the last colonoscopy then chances are he probably doesnt have that

The fact he had a colonoscopy so recent... should be very reassuring. Polyps take years to grow and its very rare for a gastro to miss a large polyp with a scope. I suppose it may be possible to have a polyp not fully removed and maybe that can cause bleeding..but I am not sure of that one.

So I think the doctor really would be looking at three things.. hemorrhoids... Inflammatory bowel disease( not likely) or a missed polyp OR very rarely a scope can puncture the colon wall but once again that is so very rare and I think that would be noticed immediately after his last procedure.
If the blood were "dark" that would mean the bleeding is coming from much higher up in the GI tract...in the stomach. Doesnt sound like thats the case with your fiance which is good.

It was good that he had a scope done recently which means you guys really dont have to worry to much in my opinion

Good luck

Last edited by westy40; 03-19-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
(female)

Carrie1970 HB User

Hi Westy and thank you for replying.

I am quite sure that Ed said that after his first colonoscopy, the bleeding did stop all together. He says the blood is dark. Should he be going for a different type of test? I am afraid there could be something else wrong that the colonoscopy missed?

The fact that the bleeding stopped after the procedure and then started up again almost five months later is odd.

Thanks!
Carrie

Old 03-20-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
(male)

westy40 HB User

Carrie,

What did the doctor determine the bleeding was from last time? You said they removed polyps, one which was very big. Big polyps can cause bleeding.

If bleeding looks very dark.. like almost black colored.. that is usually an upper GI problem.

I think your fiance needs to ask the doctor. 1. What was causing my bleeding the last time and what might be causing it now. 2. My blood is very dark and do we need to do any other type of testing to find the cause.

Very dark blood can be bleeding from the stomach like a bleeding ulcer etc.

If your fiance is super stressed he should call the doctor to find out whats going on.. Alot of times unfortunately doctors ..(in my opinion especially GI ones) tend to just not clue you in on whats going on... They like to scope you and if nothing major(like cc) is found they move on to the next patient.

Also, bleeding can come and go with different types of colitis or hemmorhoids. I have had blood off and on for about 18 years now. Sometimes no blood for a year and then its constant for months on end.

Hopefully it will all work out

Closed Thread