It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
(male)

Hollow Man HB User
Just diagnosed with rectal cancer

I am 40, healthy, active and scared. I will be starting 5 weeks of chemo/radiation therapy and wanted to know what to expect. Also, the Dr told me after the chemo they will remove my rectum and give me a colostomy, any info in regards to your experience would be appreciated. thanks

Old 04-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
(male)

Hollow Man HB User
Re: Just diagnosed with rectal cancer

Leigh-thanks for the reply, not sure how to contact you except to reply, my colon/rectal Dr was planning on removing my rectum after chemo and I just had an appointment with him yesterday and told him i didn't want to go that route. I am getting a colonoscopy this week and also a rectal ultrasound before I start chemo/radiation the following week. The Dr said it may be possible to spare my anus and having to get a colostomy but depends on the stage of cancer etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
(female)

West Coast Girl HB User

I've had an ostomy for four years now due to rectal cancer. Believe me it is NOT the end of the world. I still run, hike, bike, scuba dive, ski, golf, swim and on and on! I wear the same clothes as before and no one can tell I'm wearing an appliance. Check out ostomy support boards on the net and you'll read many positive examples of the lives of people with ostomies. And the best thing is - this surgery saved our lives!

Old 04-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
(male)

Hollow Man HB User

WCG-thanks for your reply, I agree having an ostomy would not be then end of the world, but it would be for the lifestyle I live and I can't even begin to imagine that. I checked other boards and unfortunately they just confirmed my fears.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
(female)

West Coast Girl HB User

I think I know where your're coming from and I understand. I hope everything works out for you but please put your health first. Get a second opinion and look into alternative treatments. My thoughts are with you.

Closed Thread