It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
(female)

moondoggy HB User
Six months after resection, what are recovery expectations ?

I haven't posted here since just before my surgery last October. I had a T1 colorectal cancer close to the rectum. It was determined that no follow treatment was required. I had a difficult immediate recovery, 10 days in hospital, possibly my age had something to do with that, 67 year old female. I had a big fibromyalgia flare right after coming home but made it through that. I had the CEA test and a liver ultrasound done about 3 weeks post surgery.

Think I may have tried to rush recovery because Christmas came and I tried to do it all as usual. Now it is 6 months from surgery. Still have some bowel issues as expected but am finding myself feeling a bit fatigued and a little bit touchy or reactive with my emotions.

I was wondering how others felt during the first 6 months to a year post surgery. Thank you for any insight you can give. I know I am very grateful about the outcome but guess one never feels really secure.

Moondoggy

Old 04-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
(female)

anprdp HB User
Re: Six months after resection, what are recovery expectations ?

Hey Moon,

I also had a colon resection last year when they removed my entire ascending colon. I too had complications such as infection, malnutrition, and dehydration that ended me up in the hospital for a total of about 3 weeks. So I fully understand. To be honest with you, at 28 years old it still took me a good 3 to 4 months to get feeling good. As you know, when we age our healing abilities will fall behind. I know the surgery I just had definetly seemed harder than just two years ago, but I also have diabetes recently diagnosed in Dec. which slows my healing even more. So I would say a good bit of yours is likely related to age. Although, it is always good to go over anything symptoms that are worrying you with your doctor. A year later I feel quite well even after a repeat colonoscopy. The fatigue is making you edgy, but remember fatigue can be signs of other things so keep that in mind. Your bowel habits will never ever be the same I am afraid. Mine are different and so are other friends that had similar surgery performed. Over time things improve. Certain medications help with side effects of the surgery. I know that my IBS plays a part in how I still function. It is amazing I can be constipated with only 2/3 of a colon now. I wish you the best with your recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread