It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User
surgery one month after diagnosis of CC

Hi All,
I'm new to this board and have been reading it daily, and getting lots of information and some inspiration along the way.

My husband was diagnosed April 13 with Colon Cancer and is having surgery next Monday, the May 14.
I have been trying to be calm and supportive, strong, and positive, but inside I feel sometimes like I'm going to fall apart from worry.

I am concerned that he's had to wait a MONTH for surgery when every day I think it's growing more (cancer), and wonder why it has to take this long.
he had to go for 3 different scans, and then meet with the surgeon and then another 2 weeks to finally get the date scheduled.

Does anyone know if this will make a big difference? The doctors seem so ho hum about the time frame and I wonder if they would if it was themselves or loved ones with the diagnosis.

Also can anyone tell me what to expect for recovery when he's home from the hospital? He is also having his gallbladder out at the same time.
He's not quite 44, and otherwise relatively good health.

Thanks for any help. and God Bless you all/

Old 05-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
(female)

Claud1951 HB User
Re: surgery one month after diagnosis of CC

I was diagnosed last November and was to have surgery a month from then, but that was postponed and did not happen until February of this year. I too, had a CT scan & PET scan and blood test. (I am 55)

I think that's pretty standard. I actually wanted the PET scan (all though it didn't show anything).

I'm thinking that one month doesn't make that much of a difference.

Did the doctor's say if they think they caught it early?

I had/have stage III cancer with means they got all the cancer out, but it got into 2 lymph nodes but did not spread. I'm going through Chemo now and that is precautionary to make sure they get all the cancer cells just in case it did move on. They removed about 12 inches of colon and reattached it. My bowel are back to normal now.

I wouldn't think recovery time would any longer since your husband is having his gall bladder out. It's good they can do it all at the same time.

Surgery was not a big problem for me. Sure it hurts for a while but just make sure he gets up and moves as they tell him to. The minute he starts to get up and walk/move around, the better recovery he will have. Again, not certain what he will have done and what his health issues are at this point.

My best to him and you! Hopefully he will keep a good attitude. That helps a great deal.
Claudia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

Claudia,
thank you so much for your reply, it was very encouraging and reassuring to read.
The Doctor didn't say whether or not it was caught early, but did say they would know 24 hours after surgery as to if it had penetrated the colon. He is also having lymph nodes removed the surgeon said as a precaution. Chemo will be decided after surgery...His cancer is up high near the cecum right where the large intestine begins on his upper right side. May I ask where yours was?
How long are you going to be on chemotherapy?
That's good to hear you are doing so well after having had surgery in February. Would you say it took about a month to feel like you could do some things then? I am trying to anticipate what he will need and how I can help him afterwards, since I have to work...we don't have anyone else to help us.
I hope you don't mind the questions but it helps me to talk to someone who's been through it and I can compare notes with.
I wish you best on your recovery.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
(female)

Claud1951 HB User

I certainly don't mind you asking me questions. That's what we are all here for and hope it helps ease your worries some.

My cancer was in the same area. The Ascending area. Surgeon removed the cecum up about 12 inches. From my understanding and looking at pictures and what my doctor told me, the Ascending & cecum is all the way over on your right side down low. Your appendics is attached to it, too (they took that out as well). When they reattached, it was done up higher.

(I think it just seems like it should up high because when they do the colonoscopy, they have to go all the way around to get to the cecum.)

Again..this is what I went through and cannot guess what your Husband will hve done.

I was in the Hospital for 5 days (1 of those days was surgery day). The next day after surgery, they will get Bill up to walk around and again, I can't stress enough how important that is to get up and moving. Even though it will hurt for a while, it helps so much in the long run.

He will need someone home with him for the first week he is home. (I had someone for 5 days)

After 10 days at home, went back to surgeon to remove the staples and I haven't seen him since! He said I could drive as long as I was not taking pain pills. (opps..that's not right..I did see him to put the "port" in for Chemo)

You cannot lift anything over 15 lbs or get to "roudy" plus I had this "girdle" that went around my midrif to wear (so you won't get a hernia).
Just have to take it easy for the rest of the 6 weeks and even afterward. He'll know what he can or can't do.....Just a warning.......tell him not to do to much.....if he's tired....take a nap.

I have never napped before but I did this time and I seemed to heal faster!
I actually got into bed in the afternoon for a few hours. Felt much better. Walking helps a lot, too. Not only for cirulation but gets your bowl function back in shape. That didn't take long for me, either. A few weeks maybe but at no time did it hurt to go to the bathroom. The "runs" mostly. You actually get excited when there is some "substance" to it! Ha....

I did have gas and that was uncomfortable for awhile. It builds up so get it out as soon as your can.

I am going to have Chemo anywhere from 4-6 months. I understand it's a newer form where I have the IV for 3-4 hours every 3rd Tuesday then take Chemo pills for 14 days after that. That will be the hardest part but if I know it will kills any cancer cells...then I'm all for it...

I wouldn't think the Gall bladder should take anymore time to heal than the 6 weeks, either. (I had mine taken out in the 1970's)

I asked the doctor if he'd do a hysterictomy (while he was in there) but he said no (unless he saw something wrong with it)....Darn!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.
Claudia

Closed Thread