It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

Tytanfan HB User
New to the Board, Recently diagnosed with Cancer

Hi. I need some help here.

Monday I received my diagnosis of rectal cancer. I'm going in for staging and grading on Thursday and I have an appointment to see the oncologist on Friday.

For those of you have have been through this, what advice would you give me? What questions did you ask/wish you had asked?

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User
Re: New to the Board, Recently diagnosed with Cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytanfan View Post
Hi. I need some help here.

Monday I received my diagnosis of rectal cancer. I'm going in for staging and grading on Thursday and I have an appointment to see the oncologist on Friday.

For those of you have have been through this, what advice would you give me? What questions did you ask/wish you had asked?

Thanks.
Hi, I don't know if I can help but wanted to reply anyway. I know how it is to have this happen and you want to hear from people --just anything is helpful. How were you diagnosed? was it through a colonscopy? are you having surgery? or are you just going through radiation / and or chemo?
When my husband was diagnosed the doctor didn't grade his cancer. It will be determined after surgery. So I was just wondering if more tests might have to be made in your case.
I hope you get more responses from people who have been there. good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
(female)

crohnie HB User

Hi

Not sure but they do not seem to respond much here. I posted a couple of weeks ago and nobody ever responded...although 100 people looked at my thread.

I hope you find the information you are looking for and keep your chin up

Old 05-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Heidi'sMom HB User

That's a hard question to answer. I was in the hospital and totally in another world due to another even more critical health issue (see previous posts for more info) so I was not able to ask any questions. My only advice is try not to get down about it. I am Stage IV and really don't spend too much time thinking about my cancer. It's in God's hands. I am currently undergoing chemotherapy with 3 more treatments to go. I feel good and I have been through a bunch. Just waiting for chemo to be completed to I can get on to physical therapy for my leg.

Just wanted to respond as I also know that when you post on here you are so eager for responses.

God bless!

Pam
I Peter 5:10 (my favorite verse in this difficult time)

Old 05-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
(female)

Tytanfan HB User

I went today to get "Herman", which is what I have named my tumor, graded. He is a T3, which basically means it is stage 3 cancer. It has gone to the muscle and the two lymph nodes closest to Herman are involved. That gave that a N1 rating.

I have an appointment with the oncologist tomorrow. I have a feeling there will be lots of tests to determine how far into the muscle Herman has grown and if he's just there or if he's spread.

Pam. I just wanted you to know I totally believe God puts us here for a purpose and He's not going to take us before it's time. His will is perfect. I just don't believe it's my time. I don't think I've done everything He's put me here to do.

Backslide 05, I have a history of hemiroids. There was fresh blood in the stool. When I went in to check on it we both just thought it was a really bad flare up. But he ordered the colonoscopy anyway. That's how we found what it. I would almost bet he knew what it was when he saw it, but he biopsied it and wouldn't say anything until he had the results. From what he and the doctor today have said Herman is too large to remove surgically. They will be using chemo and radiation to shrink it and then remove it.

I'm trying to keep a level head and think stuff through rationally so I will know what to ask tomorrow

Personally I'm planning on kicking Herman's butt.

If anyone else has words of wisdom or anything else to share, it would definately be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Heidi'sMom HB User

It sounds like you have a positive outlook about "Herman". I agree that God has put us here for a reason. When the oncologist announces my total healing I plan on visiting churches and giving my testimony. I think that's why I'm here. I also want to visit people in the hospital who have necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating bacteria), as that is what almost killed me in September. I want them to see that there IS hope. I just found out today from my sister that they thought back in September that I would be on a ventilator for the rest of my life (if I even lived) so they would have to find a nursing home for me that took patients on ventilators. Why didn't they tell me this before (geez!). Call on everyone you know to pray for you. Between you and God, you can "kick Herman's butt" as you put it.

I also got the news from my surgeon during a routine follow-up visit yesterday that he may, sometime down the road after chemo, reverse my colostomy. That is good news indeed, as he told my family he would NEVER reverse the colostomy as I had been through too much. God is good!

Pam
I John 5:10 (look it up)

Old 05-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
(female)

Tytanfan HB User

The "strange" thing is, when I started telling people about the diagnosis, I didn't have to ask, they started adding me to prayer lists and mentioning me as a concern in church. I found out from my boss on Tuesday I am on her 8 year old daughter's prayer list. Talk about bringing tears to your eyes!

I found out a long time ago doctors mean well, but when they say something is "never" going to happen, never actually translates into 99% of the time. That other 1% they call a miracle or a misdiagnosis.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
(male)

Brad06 HB User

Tytanfan,

Sounds like you have a good attitude. Make sure your comfortable with all your doctors. Their attitude is important also. Make them explain everything until you understand it and take notes. Also if you think of questions before your appointment write it down and take it in with you. It's easy to forget some of the questions you have. Make sure you get copies of all your test. You never know when your want to see another DR. and if you have your history with you it will speed up the process. You can get CD's of all your scans- CT's, MRI's, and PET's. They will give the cd to you when the test is done and you can get the report from your DR a few days later. Also get reports on all your procedures and blood test. I have a large 3 ring binder that I've kept everything in that has been very helpful. Good luck and God Bless.

Brad

Old 06-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #9
(female)

Claud1951 HB User

Tytanfan,

I have/had Stage III colon cancer. They removed about 12" of colon and reattached and I'm back to normal that way. Since it was in the lymph nodes (I too, had it in only 2 lymph nodes out of 28) I will be taking my 3rd (out of 8) chemo treatment next week.

I take an IV one day every 3 weeks then I'm on Xeloda (chemo pills) for 14 days. Sure there are side effects but you work through that and with support from family and friends it helps.

I agree with Brad in that you have to feel comfortable with your doctors and Oncology nurses and take, ask lots of questions.

Even start a journal of this time in your life.

Keep in touch and we are thinking of you
Claudia

Old 06-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Heidi'sMom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytanfan View Post
The "strange" thing is, when I started telling people about the diagnosis, I didn't have to ask, they started adding me to prayer lists and mentioning me as a concern in church. I found out from my boss on Tuesday I am on her 8 year old daughter's prayer list. Talk about bringing tears to your eyes!

I found out a long time ago doctors mean well, but when they say something is "never" going to happen, never actually translates into 99% of the time. That other 1% they call a miracle or a misdiagnosis.
Tytan fan, I am on many many prayer lists. I have people all over the world praying for me right now. I had another illness besides the cancer that would have taken my life if it weren't for the power of prayer. I am confident that I will get total victory over the cancer.

It is humbling when you find out how many are praying for you, isn't it. God is still in the healing business.

Pam
I John 5:10

Old 06-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #11
(female)

jen4relient HB User

hey pam. missed you. you're still in my daily prayers.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:24 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Heidi'sMom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen4relient View Post
hey pam. missed you. you're still in my daily prayers.
Thanks, Jen. I had chemo on Wednesday with pump removal on Friday. During that time I'm not usually on the board much. It's more fun to sleep . I'm starting to rally today, though, thank God! We were going to do a bit of running around this morning, but it's supposed to get hot, and I don't tolerate the heat well. So...hubby's doing the running and I'm doing the laundry.

Thanks for your continued prayers. Your dad has been in my prayers, as well.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User

Hello, and sorry for the belated welcome...I haven't been on this board much lately...

I was also diagnosed w/rectal cancer at age 32...that was almost two years ago.

You will likely (probably already started) have 6 weeks of chemo & radiation, followed by surgery, followed by post op chemo, likely 6 months of FOLFOX. Everyone reacts differently to chemo and radiation, so it is hard to say. I can say that the end of radiation is very, very hard. You will feel tired and likely have pain w/bms...be sure to let your nurse know how you are doing...don't be afraid to ask for a pain med...rest whenever you can.

You will likely have at least a temporary ileostomy - maybe permanent. Let us know and we can answer questions about that. I had mine until I was finished w/chemo then I got it reversed. It is hard to get your bowels regulated - it takes time and there are surely lasting side effects, but it is managable.

Take it one thing at a time...keep posting - you will find a lot of support here and on other boards as well...

Please let me know if you have any questions -- I'll try to check in more often.

Take care

Closed Thread